Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Pick my next climber >

Pick my next climber

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Pick my next climber

Old 11-03-2008, 09:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Pick my next climber

I'm shopping for a new climbing stand. Must be light weight (under 20 lbs), pack quietly, go up and come down easily, and be SAFE. I'm looking for $250 ish or so.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Pick my next climber

Ol',man Pro Series. 17lbs and perfect. Slightly over the $250 unless you shop but less than all others in it's league.

I'll be ordering one very soon. I have the steel version, mines older and doesn't weigh what the newer steel ones weigh but it's time, and I'll have two, otherwise I wouldn't need a new climber. I could care less about weight, if I did, I'd lighten my backpack weight but now I'm adding a camera and camera arm and I still don't fret the weight. My ex was 4'10, 110 lbs and could handle it, I see grown men crying over a little weight on their backs. LOL

Old 11-03-2008, 09:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm mainly buying it for public land (23,000 acres 15 minutes from my house), and its solid mountains. My average walk is around 1 mile, and when you add my backpack onto the stand, that adds about 10 lbs. I've been looking at the summit open shot, but have concerns about the safety of it.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

LOL Josh, I just walked nearly a mile with my heavier Ol'man around 22 lbs and a pack that weighs in around 25 lbs so I easily had 50 lbs on my back.

Buying the Pro Series will trim roughly 5 lbs or more off my back, that means nothing to me. I could do that with my existing climber and losing the weight in my pack. I carry what I carry though without difficulty.

One thing I know is it's so worth it because it's the best damn stand on the market IMO.

For public land then as well, you'll love the Ol'man Pro over the Summit. I've seen Summit's used as well as having one myself. There's no comparing the two.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:20 PM
Spike

can't go wrong with the summit viper. I think its like 21 pounds but it sure is good
Old 11-03-2008, 09:23 PM
Typical Buck

also take a look at the realtree series summit viper. I just picked one up and could not be happier. They sell it through cabelas.com
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat21424-cat20047_TGP&id=0057204418570a&navCount=11 &podId=0057204&parentId=cat20047&maste rpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=QX&amp ;rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601233&a mp;hasJS=true

and they have free shipping now
Old 11-03-2008, 09:36 PM
byg
Spike

What are your safey concerns w/the open shot? Maybe I can help, I have one and love it..Only concern I have is the platform is a little small. Feels solid in the tree and very light to carry.
Plus I always wear my safety harness...
Old 11-03-2008, 09:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm curious as to what makes the ol man better than the summit.

as for the safety thing with the open shot, it looks to be a pain to climb with without making a ton of noise, and possibly getting sweaty by having to hold up your body weight.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:03 PM

I have an Ol'man vision and an older summit (not sure what model but you climb with it the same as you would the open shot). As far as safety goes, I like the way the summit grabs the tree better. I've had the olman slip on certain types of trees. The summit doesn't have a bar around you sobe sure towear a safety harness (as you should with all stands). Also, the summit does take more upper body strength to climb but it is faster and mine is also quieter than my olman.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:06 PM
Fork Horn

Loggy Bayou Stalker, 17 lbs., on sale at the loggy website for $119 plus ship. I can't believe more guys dont use these.

Quick Reply: Pick my next climber

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.