Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Taxadermy Prices in Your Areas >

Taxadermy Prices in Your Areas

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Taxadermy Prices in Your Areas

Old 11-03-2008, 08:46 PM

Default RE: Taxadermy Prices in Your Areas

Usually $400-$450

Anywhere from 7-12 month turnaround. It depends what time of year you kill the deer. If you kill it in October you may get it back in 5 months, but if you kill it in late November it may take a year.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

i know of shops anywhere from the 200-300$ range upto 450-500$....

lets say the 200-300$ shops mounts reflect their price.....

i think my taxi is upto 450...i paid 425 for mine last year...should be done any day now..it was drying last weekend...should likely bring it home this weekend id imagine...but ive seen alot of his work...thats why he is my taxidermist. no question it should look great....

my buddy paid like 275 for his last year....it looks like a beginner mounted it. the guy does like 300 heads a year at that price(thats just 300 DEER heads) and pops them out within a year...around the antler you could see the form between the bases and hide, STITCH job was TERRIBLE, just not a good mount period. it might have a much bigger rack than mine...but i already know theres gunna be no comparison...but to the ignorant eye, most will never realize the difference between a GOOD mount and a slob job.

the only way to find a good taxi is to look at their CUSTOMER work...when im getting something mounted, its for a special reason. i want it to look great and last forever...price is not an object...if i want something mounted, theres a reason why, and i will pay for it.

i havent seen any cheap taxis put out good work(not saying it CANT happen...but unlikely...just materials(and shipping of) alone is expensive...plus bills from the shop, tools, etc etc, and the taxis TIME....they would simply LOOSE money if they put out good work at a cheap price...and then they get a TON of work from guys that are cheap, so they pretty much HAVE to get it all out before the next seasons work starts coming in...so they are working cheap and quickly...just ends with a slop job...but ive seen many guys charge alot and put out marginal work and slop jobs....ive seen shoulder mounts come back with a 10" long neck and head mount...how that happens is beyond me lol...id be furious...

i learned my lesson...had a squirrel done by a guy...his show room looked GREAT...but thats just it..a SHOW room...competition quality mounts...not customer mounts. gotta look at the taxis CUSTOMER work to judge their work....in the end, i waited 3 years for it and it looks horendous...its actually SCARRY looking. he just put out big game stuff within a year or so simply because thats what made him more money. beat around the bush every time i called...then gives me a TURD back...i was so mad i just paid him and left....i know ALOT of hunters....he lost many potential customers just from me alone...plus who they tell my story too etc...he might not be hurtin from me alone...but he wont be gaining any work when i can help it. word of mouth is usually a BIG tool of a taxi...
Old 11-03-2008, 08:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

450.00 dollars, done In 6 months.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:56 PM
Super Moderator

I can have it done by my taxidermist for $250 and 3 month wait. My doesnt take new customers either. He does an awesome job...
Old 11-03-2008, 09:58 PM
Fork Horn

I took both my bucks to the same guy last year. Each mount cost $200 and I got them each back 2 months after I brought them in. He did an awesome job on both of them!
Old 11-03-2008, 10:18 PM
Fork Horn

Yea, last week my Taxi told me that it actually takes him around 18 hours per deer from start to finish. So you figure that's only $25 an hour. I'm happy with that.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

300 and it takes almost a year to get back.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:20 PM

Taxidermy work described as "good, awesome, great, etc." is relative to who is giving the description. Honestly, a large majority of guys couldn't point out lousy taxidermy work if it was staring them in the face. As far as costgoes. If all taxidermists charged a fair hourly rate taking into consideration supplies, overhead, and their time (all their time), you would not see a shoulder mount under $500. It has been a while since I ran the numbers, but that might even be on the low side now. I guess it all comes down to how important an individual feels their time is.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

$350 to $400 and 4 to 6 months
Old 11-04-2008, 05:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I charge 325 for a shoulder mount, will be done within a year.

Quick Reply: Taxadermy Prices in Your Areas

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.