Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Wounded/lost deer threads >

Wounded/lost deer threads

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Wounded/lost deer threads

Old 11-04-2008, 10:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Wounded/lost deer threads

I disagree that if you hunt long enough,you'll lose a deer.While anyone can make a poor shot,many deer will recover.I strongly feel that any solidly hit deer,including gut-shot deer should be recovered.I get called to track alot of wounded deer because I'm on a list of people used to track deer for a controlled hunt.The absolute number one reason the vast majority of deer are not recovered is because people push them way way too fast.I've recovered several gut shot deer this year alone.50% of the time,the deer were still alive inthe morning and 100% of the time they were within 50 yards of where the hunter last saw the deer.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I posted my thread on Friday.....after exhausting myself in searching on that same day (6.5hrs in really thick cover). I posted my thread to actively seek help in the search for a deer I thought was down.
You had to come on hunting net to find a guy to help you? You want people to believe you have no one in your own town or neighborhood or circle of friends to help? A tracking dog contact can be had at any local sporting goods store aswell. Didnt help you anyway by your own admission and Im truly sorry to hear that cause Ive been there but I would never spill my guts publicly about it, why would I? why do you?

If the threads bother you....skip them.
When did I say I actually opened and read them? I actually dont ,cause you can tell by the title what its about and its the same story every time anyway. People know why they cant find their deer, they made a bad shot for whatever reason and the deer got away ,mabye he lived mabye not,but thinking anyone here on the net ,in most cases hundreds or even thousands of miles away, is gonna figure out the secret location of your deer, is naive.

Post what ya want, I was just curious why people do this . Again, my apologies if I offended anyone
Old 11-04-2008, 12:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

I feel that you would get more from posting about a lost deer that would help you find the next one.
ORIGINAL: virginiashadow

"Has anyone on here EVER found the deer because they made a post about it and was given advice in that post that led to them finding the deer? Would they have not otherwise have found it if they would have stayed out looking?

I don't know, just asking."

The first deer I ever arrowed I came on here and asked for help. That was in 2002. I couldnt find the deer and had noone to help me look. The guys on here gave me a ton of help and I found the buck the next day.

Old 11-04-2008, 12:20 PM
Typical Buck

I hate threads complaing about lost deer threads.
Old 11-04-2008, 12:26 PM

Far as im concerned there is always a loss of deer, one form or another not only for bow hunting, also using a rifle.
All due to pour shot placement of malfunction.

There is no one person who will never lose a deer.
It will happen when you least expect it.
If you dont think that is true, then your very naive.

It is something you cannot control, but can do things to lessen the chances of it happening. We learn by mistakes thats the human way, even OSHA laws are written in blood.
So to see these threads and discuss what went wrong is helping others have less of a loss when they get into the woods.

If there was no talk about it, the methods and theory would not be spread around, causing way more loss then we have now.

These threads belong here, they are essential to what we love to do. There is no denying it happens. And in the same sense you would not just tell half of a story.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sometimes you really need to get this experience off your chest. When you can't findthe deer you shot you do feel guilt. I know I did. Wrtiting it down in words and presenting this to your peers is in itself a form of confession a catharsis if you will. You don't need to respond to it. If you do respond have some compassion and kind words for your fellow bowhunter. I agree with what GMATT said it does happen to everyone eventually, or you're a liar or you haven't taken that many shots. To those few who have recovered every animal they shot, I say you are in a great minority I salute you, but don't belittle the fellow who has come on here with a story of his loss. He feels bad enough, I know.