Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Wounded/lost deer threads >

Wounded/lost deer threads

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Wounded/lost deer threads

Old 11-03-2008, 08:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Wounded/lost deer threads

People need reinforcement and advice whether it is helpful, worthless, positive, negative, high or low..........
Old 11-03-2008, 08:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Personally, I think people post these threads, looking for sympathy and someone to tell them its OK and that theyre not the only ones to go through it. Misery loves company.

No one can possibly think, someone here is going to unlock the secret location of a wounded deer ,simply by the hunter describing the event ,which oddly always seems to include a good shot they made

Like I said, been there, we all have, I honestly feel for ya, but what good does it do anyone to advertise it?
Old 11-03-2008, 11:11 PM

ORIGINAL: DeerandbearhoG

Can someone please tell me what is accomplished by these threads? I understand the sorrow and frustration hunters feel, after they cant find a deer they've shot, Ive been there, it sucks, but what is it, you think anyone here can do for you? Get yourself some friends and do a grid search, its that simple, what else can be said to help you? If you really want to read more about wounding and losing deer look at the past posts on the subject, there's 3 on every page ,or better yet, read the sticky.

Refer to rule 6 of the rules of the forum about giving anti hunters something to cut and paste to their websites.

Sorry if I offended someone , with this post , not trying stir the pot, but man, am I the only one who thinks theres way too many of these lost deer threads?
I have gotten blasted on other boards for having this very opinion. Difference is, I'm not sorry if that opinion offends anyone. Just like I think it wrong to go sit in a cafe somewhere and talk to anyone that will listen about your bad shot, I think it is wrong to do it online. If I get blasted here, so be it.

Even worse are the posts lately about such and such animal being "down" only to find out the post came before a recovery that never materialized.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Giving the anti's fuel for their fire??? I remember a picture on here last week with 3 hunters,a pile of doves, beer in everyone's hand, and written in shotgun shells was " Peta Sux." Just about everyone on here thought it was great. IMO that is fuel for the fire. I really think when people start these threads they are looking for advice. 9 times out of 10 they just end up getting bashed. Heck, 5 times out of 10 a guy finds his deer and he still gets bashed! What the hecks the difference?
Old 11-03-2008, 11:23 PM

ORIGINAL: RobinAim Low

ORIGINAL: DeerandbearhoG

Can someone please tell me what is accomplished by these threads? I understand the sorrow and frustration hunters feel, after they cant find a deer they've shot, Ive been there, it sucks, but what is it, you think anyone here can do for you? Get yourself some friends and do a grid search, its that simple, what else can be said to help you? If you really want to read more about wounding and losing deer look at the past posts on the subject, there's 3 on every page ,or better yet, read the sticky.

Refer to rule 6 of the rules of the forum about giving anti hunters something to cut and paste to their websites.

Sorry if I offended someone , with this post , not trying stir the pot, but man, am I the only one who thinks theres way too many of these lost deer threads?
I have gotten blasted on other boards for having this very opinion. Difference is, I'm not sorry if that opinion offends anyone. Just like I think it wrong to go sit in a cafe somewhere and talk to anyone that will listen about your bad shot, I think it is wrong to do it online. If I get blasted here, so be it.

Even worse are the posts lately about such and such animal being "down" only to find out the post came before a recovery that never materialized.
You don't see the difference between a coffee shop and an online forum made by hunters for hunters?
Old 11-04-2008, 02:49 AM
Dominant Buck

You want full disclosure? I'll give you full disclosure....

If you bowhunt long enough.....you're going to fit into one of the following categories:

1. You have hit and lost a deer.
2. You haven't had enough chances for No. 1 to occur, yet.
3. You're a liar.

I know people on this sit who went YEARS........YEARS....killing deer EVERY YEAR and not recovering them, before making their first successful bowkill recovery. I know another guy (another foru member)who killed three in one year (in a row) and never recovered any of them. I know of many, many others who've PM'd me their tribulations, also.

Many anumals hit and not recovered are not killed. Some are. Period.

I don't think a man needs to post every time he hits a deer......nor do I think he necessarily "needs" to post every time he sees one......or touches a new bow......gets a new buck on trail cam......or...well....I think you get the picture.

But does it "bother" me? Hell no. I just don't open those threads up. Novel, huh?

In reality.....a LOT of people could likely learn a LOT about blood tracking and finding downed deer if some people weren't so freaking uptight about the threads. Why? I don't get it. Maybe it reminds people too much of their own failures....and that's too much for them.

If you have never lost a deer......or injured one and couldn't find it.....refer to the first part of this post.
Old 11-04-2008, 03:59 AM

My feelings on this is,
Do we just want to only read about success only?
I think not, people learn by others mistakes and losses.

But to only post half of the real stories is not any better then watching the outdoor channel. I know if we can't post loss, the site would be just as fake.

As far as giving anti hunting actvist ammo.
I seriously doubt what they get here is of any more use to them as making up crap opions on other issues to boycott hunting.

Fact remains we love what we do and missing and loss is part of it.

Old 11-04-2008, 05:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

What does it do?

It unleashes the collective experience and conscious of 100's of experienced bowhunters - bringing their insight and experience to bear on the tracking problem.
It solicits encouragement and support.
It standardizes tracking techniques.

This board is not restricted to any certain bowhuntingactivity. Bloodtrailing is an important part of the sport. Like Jeff said, if you shoot deer with a bow, you will eventually hit and lose one. We are failing to face reality if we do not confront this aspect of our sport and do our best to share knowledge and encouragement.

Old 11-04-2008, 06:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

What is being accomplished by this topic?
Old 11-04-2008, 07:16 AM
Fork Horn

Actually I think its good that these posts are here, because it is a constant reminder of how things can go wrong, and how you need to be careful with every shot. Plus it educates new hunters of what can go wrong when you take that 40 yard shot when you really shouldn't. And, I think it is a waythat people ask for help, ie if someone has a piece of advice that they didn't think of. One thing I've learned from one of these posts is to use a friend's tinypoodle to help you track a deer. (although I haven't had to yet, it's always in the back of my mind)

Any posts I don't find interesting I just skip...

Quick Reply: Wounded/lost deer threads

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.