Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Overhunting a stand during the rut...do you change from preseason "policy?" >

Overhunting a stand during the rut...do you change from preseason "policy?"

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Overhunting a stand during the rut...do you change from preseason "policy?"

Old 11-03-2008, 05:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Overhunting a stand during the rut...do you change from preseason "policy?"

I'm very consciencous of my stand rotations during the season, making sure to only hunt stands with a given wind, and only so often as to not overhunt any particular area. This strategy has been working out well for me this year, as I've had a record number of consistant sightings for all different locations on our property. However, as the rut is starting now, and with two weeks left here in PA, I have a spot that I'm starting to hit a bit hard (with appropriate wind conditions) due to my perceived potential for the area. I can't get any time off from work, so I can only hunt evenings, and with the time I get back home now with DST over, I'm limited to locations that are fairly close. I've mentioned hunting my food plot a lot, and that's where I've been concentrating my efforts. I shot turkey there on Saturday, they were again back out there (had 4 at 5yds again tonight), and I'm still seeing deer enter this almost every time I hunt it. Tonight, I saw a doe and two fawns (the doe isn't ready yet), and the 6 point I passed up early in the season. I feel that as long as I'm careful with my entrance and exit (that's another huge plus for me in this area, I have a GREAT exit/entry route), and the wind is right, I should concentrate on this spot, because the does are in the area, and continually feed there, so it's a matter of time until a buck comes in.

Is this flawed logic? Is there a downside to this? Do you guys keep the same rotations throughout the rut, or do you concentrate on just a few key stand locations? I'm fairly close to a known bedding area, but not as close as some of you may recommend, but again, with my time limitations getting to the stand, this is the best I can do in this location. I have one other close stand in a finger between to standing corn fields, but with little success there earlier in the season, I'm not too excited about it until the corn is cut.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Overhunting a stand during the rut...do you change from preseason "policy?"

i would say that if you are only hunting the stands when the wind is right and you are seeing deer there alot and not spooking them then i would say you are probably not overhunting them....i to have always worried about overhunting stands but fortunatly i have enough where it should not be a problem

for instance...last year i felt i was overhunting an area too much so i tried a stand thati did not have a lot of confidence in but the wind was right for it.....it was the first and only time i hunted it last year and came out with a 142" 9pt that evening....so this year once the rut is in full swing i am going back a couple times to that stand if the wind is right
Old 11-03-2008, 06:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Overhunting a stand during the rut...do you change from preseason "policy?"

I do have several locations all across the property, but not too many that are quickly accessible. I was wondering, however, with the standing corn, that the does may be bedding in that, and the bucks may be cruising that inside edge checking them out. I may have to give that stand a few sits this week as well.