Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Did I commit a mortal sin? attn Veteran Hunters >

Did I commit a mortal sin? attn Veteran Hunters

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Did I commit a mortal sin? attn Veteran Hunters

Old 11-03-2008, 12:39 PM

Default RE: Did I commit a mortal sin? attn Veteran Hunters

ORIGINAL: rookie51

I have also thought about that shot and concluded that there is just to much bone in the way of the vitals. Tough lesson.
What bone is "too much bone" protecting the vitals in your opinion?
Old 11-03-2008, 12:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know if it was a mortal sin or not, but it was not a wise choice. I have seen deer recovered with this shot, but it is a low percentage. All you can do know is get back out there and start grid searching for this deer. I wish you the best of luck.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:55 PM
Spike

I guess thats what I expected. Live and learn. After being on stand for 1 1/2 days and seeing squat, I was overcome with stupidy for a few seconds. Thanks for the response's...
Old 11-03-2008, 01:30 PM
Fork Horn

My father was the one who use to tell me, wait for a clean shot, don't rush, cause there's no sense in wounding an animal. I've passed that on to my son, and he's a stickler about doing the right thing, taking the right shot. I've always had days where you don't see anything, but, I just say I'm taking my bullets or arrows for a walk and chalk it up to that. I've seen alot of deer at the last second, knew they had horns, but if there's a chance I'm going to miss, I'd rather try to get a clean kill tomorrow, then not have him around tomorrow at all cause of an errant arrow or bullet.
We all learn from our mistakes, or errors in judgement, and that will, hopefully, make you a better hunter the next time the situation comes around.If theres anybody who hasn't taken a questionable shot or one we weren't too proud of, cast the first stone, but you'll find we all make mistakes and learn from those misques. Good luck.
Old 11-03-2008, 02:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Honestly, if that deer is at 10 yards, that isn't as low percentage of a shot as what you would think. 10yds is extremely close, actually, especially on the ground.

Give that deer time, you should be able to find him.
Old 11-03-2008, 02:30 PM
Fork Horn

Sounds like you let the kill and need to harvest an animal get the best of you.

I won't harp as we all make bad decisions once in a while. Just your writing about it tells me your learning on this one.

It's the hunt, not the kill that does it for me.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:10 PM
Typical Buck

That is a bad shot. My dad didthat one time. The arrow was completely buried in his chest, so he thought it was a good shot. We gave him a hour, and we trailed him for a long time and we ran out of a blood trail and never found him. He said he will never take that shot again. Now I would say if you have a gun and take that shot (I would suggest only if your only going to get that shot)
Old 11-03-2008, 07:17 PM
Typical Buck

Sounds like it was too dark for you to be making these decisions. Good luck finding him.
Chris
Old 11-03-2008, 07:32 PM
Typical Buck

You need to do a petty good scouring of your woods. If it was anything but a glancing shot, that deer is dead. I wouldn't start my day planning on taking that shot, or recommend it to anyone, but I also wouldn't beat someone up over it. At 10 yards with nothing between you and him and your pin right on his chest.... I know my arrow would get the necessary penetration to do the job. The only question you have to ask yourself is are you prepared to deal with the commitment that starts after you loose that arrow. Obviously you know what I mean 'cause you're still looking.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

live and learn man. Id say you can definately make that shot successful,but its not worth trying. Go back out tomorrow and see what you can find. Do your best, nothing less to find him. If you dont take your beating and move on. I honestly believe (if you are human) these situations make you have more respect for the animal and you will learn to make better more ethical judgements based on your skill as a hunter. I have made plenty of ignorant decisions in my bow hunting career and trust me, everyone sucks, but you can learn from them. good luck

Derek

Quick Reply: Did I commit a mortal sin? attn Veteran Hunters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.