Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Did I commit a mortal sin? attn Veteran Hunters >

Did I commit a mortal sin? attn Veteran Hunters

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Did I commit a mortal sin? attn Veteran Hunters

Old 11-03-2008, 11:07 AM
Spike

Default Did I commit a mortal sin? attn Veteran Hunters

I will ask the question and please be blunt with your answers.

I'm walking out of the woods in my ASAT 3d camo when I catch a LARGE bodied buck in the very sparse prickers about 10 yards to my left. He couldn't figure out what I was and I froze in the 4 wheeler path.

I could tell, out of the corner of my eye,he was a tall deer and saw at least 3 horns on one side. Again, I'm frozen, nock my arrow and pull to a full draw.

I turn left and its confused and ready to split.

HERES MY QUESTION

The deer was staring directly at me. I could see the how big he was from the white hair I could see on its belly. It has a doe with him and I could swear it had drool on its face. I've got about 3 seconds to make a decision.

Heres my thought process.

If I shoot this deer in the lower part of the chest, it has to hit lungs, heart, orartery...if I missed high, it wouldsplit its neckopen, and if I shoot too low it would be a heart shot. The bucks head if way up in the air with the front and belly exposed.

I shot, aiming middle of the chest, erroring on the lower side and let it fly.Iwait and check out whereI shot and found a big clump of the white hair with the arrow about 10 yards where it took off. The arrow broke10 inchesdown with the broadhead and some arrow stillinside thebuck. Thebroken arrow had blood for another 12-16 inches. I'm now tracking the deer and there are blood splurts every 10 feet or so.The blood isbright red and is puddling in certain spots. after about 30 yards of tracking it through the golden rod it comes to some hardwoods. Theblood trail is now extremelyhard to see with all the leaves. I'm able to track it another 30 yards and loose the blood trail.I seemed to get weaker once in thehardwoods. I've been backtwice to scour the areaand have come up short.

Am I way off basis thinking of taking that shot?Please educate me.

Thank you for your help.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:17 AM

Default RE: Did I commit a mortal sin? attn Veteran Hunters

Was it dark or what?
Old 11-03-2008, 11:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

There are very few people that would take that shot. As far as tracking, I find it easier to follow a blood trail in dried leaves, the more the better. If you can't find blood you should be able to see where he kicked up leaves.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:19 AM

You asked for blunt.....

You made a horrible decision to shoot, I would even second guess taking that shot with a rifle.

people need to learn, with a bow, you shouldn't be taking these type of marginal shots. Wait for him to present a broadside, or quartering away shot, and you won't have these issue's. If you aren't sure it will hit 2 lungs, then don't take a marginal shot, just to take a shot.

that Deer is probably wolf meat now....

Old 11-03-2008, 11:24 AM

So it was dark AND you shot at the deer head on. Live and learn.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:33 AM

Here is blunt.................VERY LOW PERCENTAGE shot....................that is why you are still trying to find your deer. Me, I would never had considered it................you however must do what you are comfortable with in YOUR woods.

Dave
Old 11-03-2008, 11:37 AM
Fork Horn

I have also thought about that shot and concluded that there is just to much bone in the way of the vitals. Tough lesson.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:40 AM
Typical Buck

You didn't state how long you waited until you followed it up, but with a high risk shot you should have backed out for at least 3-4 hours. If you bumped him, you may be S.O.L.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Was the deer turned at all or was he straight on?

Turned a little you might have went under the chest and through the leg. You will get ok blood with a flesh wound like that.Not lethal.

Head on you should have not found your arrow and the buck would be dead. Bad case senerio anyway you look at it the shot should not have happened.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

You made a bad shot. It happens to all of us. Nothing to beat yourself up over. Don't let the "high horses" beat you down.

Sorry you couldn't find him.

Quick Reply: Did I commit a mortal sin? attn Veteran Hunters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.