Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Stirring The Pot 8X vs 10X >

Stirring The Pot 8X vs 10X

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Stirring The Pot 8X vs 10X

Old 11-03-2008, 10:49 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-03-2008, 10:54 AM

Default RE: Stirring The Pot 8X vs 10X

I have a pair of Baush and Lomb 10x50 Legacy's..I went with 10x because I have 50mm objective lens, if I had gone with 40mm, I would have got 8x.

I also got the 10x, so I could make out antlers better in the fields at further distances, and I got the 50mm so I could see better in low light conditions.

I have no complaints with these Bino's and would buy them over again. mind you, if I used them solely for bow, I'd probably get a 8x40 or 42's, for the more compact size.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

My Nikon's are 7x32 Ibelieve. 10x are just too hard for me to hold still. They work great for target ID.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: KodiakArcher

Because I hunt here:

Can you tell if that's a billy or nanny with 8x? I can with 10x and it saves me a lot of leg work! That being said, it's about quality not quantity and given the same quality of glass, I'll take the 10x over the 8x any day as long as they both have decent objectives (42mm+) for good light gathering ability ( I realize that 10x70's would be more ideal but there's the weight issue to consider as well...).

Those are my old dependable Leupold Golden Ring 10x42's strapped to my chest, I wouldn't trade them for anything.

KA,
It seems like every time you post a picture on here my Jaw hits the ground. Holy Crap!!
Old 11-03-2008, 01:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

WHY....WHY ....WHY.. do so many of you guys who are obviously pretty damn intelligent carry around 10X binoculars? My guess is that you have fallen prey to a marketing strategy.
I try and try and try to explain to people that come into the store that 8Xmagnificationis all that anyone will ever need ina pair of binoculars. Even hunting out west where you can see for miles upon miles.

At higher magnification the image you see becomes unsteady, light transmissionis less, field of view is less, eye strain becomes more of a factor, and I am sure there are a number of other reasons to add.

If you need more magnification that 8X than you need a spotting scope.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Except for magnification, the 8X has virtually every advantage over a higher power. Superior light gathering capabilities, bigger FOV, easier to hold steady, lesser costs... to name the main ones.

But with that said, I think it completely depends on your situation & especially how far of a distance you expect to look at something. I personally prefer a 10X over 8X formost of myhunting situations, but in a perfect world, I would have various magnifications of bino's. Whether it's a 6 or 8x for archery hunting in the tree's, a 10x for hunting the ag fields, or rarely a 12xfor hunting out west(even though a spotting scopewould be better). 10x suits me best, as 100-500yd target targets are when I most commonly use bino's. Plus, most of the time, i'm ina tree and use the tree as a steadying device to help eliminate any shakiness problems that might occur when looking at the longer distances. And if you buy good quality optics, low-light isn't as big of a factor when comparing an 8 & 10x, as the 10X will provide enough light visibility even before or after legal shooting light(at least for my eyes). But low-light transmission is a whole other topic, as the MM of light reaching your pupil depends on a lot of factors.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:53 PM
Fork Horn

Good post, never really thought about it but the 8x argumentmakes sense. I have 10X Steiners and I never use them, I use a 8X32 pair of Leupold binoculars because they have a built in laser rangefinder andI love em. Anyone want to buy a pair of 10X42 Steiner Predator roof prism binoculars?
Old 11-03-2008, 04:50 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: KodiakArcher

Because I hunt here:

Can you tell if that's a billy or nanny with 8x? I can with 10x and it saves me a lot of leg work! That being said, it's about quality not quantity and given the same quality of glass, I'll take the 10x over the 8x any day as long as they both have decent objectives (42mm+) for good light gathering ability ( I realize that 10x70's would be more ideal but there's the weight issue to consider as well...).

Those are my old dependable Leupold Golden Ring 10x42's strapped to my chest, I wouldn't trade them for anything.

Tell me something..........is that a spotting scope I see sticking out of the top of your pack?

And yes I agree Leopold Gold Rings are excellent optics especially the 8 X 42
Old 11-03-2008, 05:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Kodiak...awesome pic bud!

vichris....obviously you are an expert - I look forward to hearing your reasoning.

A long time ago I read somewhere that the max light your eye can rec'v is like 5mm, so an 8x42 would give you max light. 10x42 would be less, and obviously the fov is less as well. I have no idea if this is what you are getting at, but its my best stab at it! LOL [8D]

I use 8x Nikons....love em. I will say one thing....with optics, QUALITY counts. Good glass makes a huge difference for sure, whether rifle scope, bino's, or spotter.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:44 PM

ORIGINAL: vichris
Tell me something..........is that a spotting scope I see sticking out of the top of your pack?
Nope, It's my ex's rifle since she's packing her deer. If I had a spotting scope with me I wouldn't need 10x's but I'm not carrying that extra weight. I have to ask, if 8x42's will do everything a hunter needs, then why not 6x42's?

WV Hunter: actually it's 7mm that's why 7x50's are ideal for light gathering (50mm divided by 7 power = just over 7mm) and that's why you'll realize more light with 8x42's than 10x42's like you said.

Quick Reply: Stirring The Pot 8X vs 10X

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.