Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Double Lung or Heart? >

Double Lung or Heart?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Double Lung or Heart?

Old 11-03-2008, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Double Lung or Heart?

I've killed plety with double lung shots and they work great. But I shot a doe from the ground a couple years ago. It was a perfect heart shot. She had the muzzy X perfectly placed on her heart when I field dressed her. The blood trail was one a blind man could have followed. I could see blood on the ground 20 feet in front of me. She didn't go far either maybe 30 yards from the place I shot her.

If I were garanteed of a heart shot each and every time. That would be my choice. And if you miss the heart you still have the lungs. Of course that also why the slight quartered away shot is such a good, gets you away from that shoulder. I also wait for the deer to step forward with the legeffectivly gettingthe leg and shoulder as farforward as possible.

Simply put lack ofoxygen to the brainisthe waythey die. so heart or lungs and they are done.

Old 11-03-2008, 11:48 AM
Fork Horn

Bow hunters should shoot for the lungs, it's a bigger target that has less bone infrastructure to protect them, gun hunters should shoot for the heart as the bone protection does not matter, plus, bullets carry hydrostatic shock and that liquifies flesh, arrows don't, they just cause massive blood loss which results in suffocation most of the time.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:22 PM

If you get the heart you've got the double lung so it's an easy choice (unless you're taking some crazy-ass weird angled shot); Heart.

In either case there's a dead critter at the end of the bloodtrail so it doesn't really matter but the heart shot critter will leave a shorter trail.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:26 PM

I don't know much about this because I have not killed very many, but the heart seems to do the trick. It is vital to its survival and if I could guarantee that shot I would not have a very long walk.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:27 PM

I would take either one. when im aiming on a deer with the bow, im puttin the pin right behind the shoulder!!
Old 11-03-2008, 12:40 PM
Dominant Buck

Old 11-03-2008, 12:56 PM

ORIGINAL: twildasin

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

I'll take the double lung shot, easier to hit- bigger target! Heart shot Is a quicker recovery most of the time but a double lung shot Is twice the size almost.

Either one Is a great shot regardless.
I am not sure both are the most lethal but in my experience is the true double lung deer only go about 40 yards and pile up! A heart shot Ive had them go up to 150-200 yards.Anyways i prefer a double lung
Me too. I will take the double lunger.
Old 11-03-2008, 02:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

both should be a choice
Old 11-03-2008, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator

It would take some fancy shooting to hit the heart without getting at least one lung too.

I aim for the heart.

I've had heart shot deer drop in 30 yards and had one go just over 100 yards. The closer the hit is to the front/top (where the aorta and vena cava are) of the heart the faster the deer will drop.Anyhow, every deer that I've hit in the heart has left agreat blood trail (knock on wood), so that's why I prefer it.

Aim small, miss small.
(really knocking on wood now)