Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Double Lung or Heart? >

Double Lung or Heart?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Double Lung or Heart?

Old 11-03-2008, 07:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Double Lung or Heart?

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

I'l shoot at the heart (especially from an elevatedstand), but if I hit lungs, I'm still happy.
LOL Bob, I know you know but for others, from an elevated stand, you cannot get the heart without getting the lungs unless one is extremely low on the shot.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

double lung easier to hit i would say but i would take a heart shot any day of the week
[align=left] [/align]
Old 11-03-2008, 07:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

I'l shoot at the heart (especially from an elevatedstand), but if I hit lungs, I'm still happy.
LOL Bob, I know you know but for others, from an elevated stand, you cannot get the heart without getting the lungs unless one is extremely low on the shot.
Good point.
I guess I was thinking more of my case inmy generalization.
Also, personally, I don't get into situations where I would take an extreme angled down shot. Not to mention us trad guys have a tendancy to shoot a bit high in live game situations from elevated stands even if you have practived the shot 100's of times on targets the day before.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Double lung. I used to go for the heart...but after I screwed up a couple times (shoulder) I aim a couple inches back now. Double lung broadside = easy pass thru = great blood trail = dead deer before they get out of sight.

A large bodied 8pt I shot a few years ago...I went for the heart. Got the 1 lung...the heart...and a low exit from the other side. Great blood...but he rain for a ½ mile. The broadhead nearly sliced the heart in half...but he still ran forever.

Old 11-03-2008, 07:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you are saying either shot is a sure thing, I would say the heart. Since NO shot is a sure thing, I try for the double lung.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Punch the center of the lungs, awesome blood!
Old 11-03-2008, 08:31 AM
Fork Horn

I aim for a one foot square behind the front shoulder, If I get it in the square it should be a lethal shot in a short time. I don't like to pick a target that is the size of my fist, that causes me to flinch more.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'll take both lungs. There is a chance I'll sever some major arteries from the top of the heart with that shot anyway.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:19 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Cougar Mag

If I were guaranteed? I'd take the heart shot in a minute because it will not go as far. Both are assured kills.
Couldn't have said it better!! Any time I have verified a heart shot on a deer that I've taken, the distance traveled is "always" less than any with a double lung shot. Both are fatal, but I'm choosing a heart shot because of the lesser distance traveled by the deer which in my opinion gives me a bit of an advantage in recovering sooner.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:46 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

I'll take the double lung shot, easier to hit- bigger target! Heart shot Is a quicker recovery most of the time but a double lung shot Is twice the size almost.

Either one Is a great shot regardless.
Exactly...way more of an area to hit than the heart...both are deadly but ill take the lungs first

Quick Reply: Double Lung or Heart?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.