HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   range finders (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/271277-range-finders.html)

mauser06 11-02-2008 12:58 PM

range finders

i know this probably belongs in the optics section....but, bow hunters use range finders...and im a bow hunter looking for a rangefinder...move it if you wish mods

im looking for a good, reliable rangefinder for bowhunting. something thats accurate, reliable and readable...and somewhat small...not looking for one of the giant ones...

ive used a leupold TBR-II and a low-mid range Bushnell...both of them were somewhat dark and both somewhat hard to read in the woods...

what are you fellow bowhunters using?? are all makes/models somewhat dark? it seemed like they were almost "tinted" maybe its just the low objectives? i dont know...plus the black reticles can be hard to read on a dark forest floor or dark tree or whatever...

so fill me in...price is no object...i'll be waiting till later to buy anyways...i want something practical and funcionable in the treestand...

thanx

IL-Cornfed 11-02-2008 02:04 PM

RE: range finders

The Leica LRF is an outstanding model and is easilymy favorite. It's waaaayyyy higher quality than other LRF's I've used. The Leica models have crystal clear optics and a very easilyseenRED internal display..... not the Black number disply thats nealy impossible to see in lowlight through their traditionally poor optics. YOU won't believe the difference! Spend the little extra for the Leica quality and I promise you, you will NOT regret it.

mauser06 11-02-2008 05:15 PM

man, those puppies are pricey....and dont have the angle compensator...

i dont want/need the angle compensator for bowhunting...but if im spending 500+ i want dual purpose so it will work for my long range rifle shooting....long targets up and down hill, thats where the angle compensators come into play.......

errrrr.....i wish they had that feature...for that price, i dont know that id spend it without it. if im spending that sorta cash, i want the angle compensator and L O N G range capability.

not ruling it out...i'd definently have to find one and compare it to the high end leupolds and bushnells with the angle comps.

tky1187 11-02-2008 05:36 PM

I just got a Nikon Pro this past week for 200$ and absolutly love it. There is also the Nikon Archers Choice model for 240$ which has the downward angle deal BUT it only measures out to 100yds where mine goes to 550yds I believe. I really don't think the downward angle makes much of a difference if any.

Rhody Hunter 11-02-2008 05:41 PM

I use a Nikkon 440 and it has worked great for me . I sight in a few spots before the deer come that way i know ahead of time

nybuckboy 11-02-2008 05:42 PM

I too, use a Nikon. Mine is a Nikon 440 (440 yds) and it was about $180 on sale. It works great. Had it now going in my 3rd season. Same original battery. I lways get in my stands and at first light pick out landmarks in several directions.

sig_sauer_75 11-02-2008 05:44 PM

:D

MGH_PA 11-02-2008 05:47 PM

I just purchased a Nikon 440 a week or so ago Mauser, and I love it. Optics are great, size is great, I like it. I do what others mentioned, and simply get up in the stand, range a few easily identifiable landmarks, and put it away. I passed a few deer this year before I got it due to unknown yardage. Turns out, I'm terrible at estimation and when back in those stands with the rangefinder, I found they were all well within my comfort range. I really find mine useful.

mauser06 11-02-2008 07:19 PM

thanx guys...nikon is one i havent played with yet, and have heard good things about it...just dont know anyone that has one. i'll have to check them out...im sure if i goto Cabelas or somewhere, i can atleast look through them indoors(which doesnt do a whole lot of good...but better than nothing)

tky, for normal bowhunting, the downward angle is nothing to worry about...if you really want to elimanate its factor, range trees at eye level and thats the distance to shoot(i believe thats how it goes) but i played with my buddies Leupold TBR-II and it had the feature...i was HIGH in the tree and shooting close and 40+yds with it and sometimes like 40-60ft below me down the hillside....it was always within a few yards...

but when i buy my long range range finder, i would like that feature. just because im shooting much much longer ranges...often down steep hills and such. 1 of my spots range finders read 200yds...i bet its much more like 100-125yds...pretty much every inch is down a steep hill...its longer down the hill than it would be if i could imaginarily walk straight and be directly above the target...which that would be the true range to shoot for....when your talking long range shooting and small targets, things like that need considered...

im perfectly fine with eventually owning 2. the LONG range ones are bigger and bulkier and i dont need that for bowhunting...i just need something small and accurate for bowhunting....

OHbowhntr 11-02-2008 07:30 PM

Try all the rest, then go check out a Nikon, you'll be happy you did!!! The newere model of the 440, the 550 for $200 is a great rangefinder, and it has a 6x magnification which is nice, because my BIGGEST gripe (and it's really not much of a gripe is that he 440's 8x magnification leaves too small a Field of View (FOV). I almost bought a new one, but I just couldn't justify it when my 440 is still doing a good job, so I changed my mind.