Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

range finders

Old 11-02-2008, 07:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: range finders

I use the Leupold RX-II may be the same one you mentioned above TBR-II? IDK but it's the only one I have ever owned, and I like it very well, But I just realized the other day, I have my bow sited in on METERS
Old 11-02-2008, 08:52 PM

i got the nikkon prostaff 550 , it has the angle compensation... works good for bow and rifle.... was 240 bucks from opticplanet.com
Old 11-02-2008, 08:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

I probably can't help ya capt, mine is the original Bushnell 400 and I love it. I've used it so long I have a system and I hope it never stops working. I'd hate to think of starting over with a new system.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I bought the nikon prostaff 550.. Works darn good for me.. I do have two negatives, but they probably all do this.. 1. Low light conditions make it a B**CH to read within the last half hour of light.. so make sure you range your targets prior... 2. if even a tiny little twig is in front of what you are ranging it will range the thing closest to you which can really throw off your REAL range.. so pay attention to where you range and check it a few times..

Overall i think its great and especially for the $200 you cant really beat it..
Old 11-02-2008, 09:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

thanx guys...sounds like Nikon may be what im looking for for bowhunting...

not ruling the others out....i'll definently head to Cabelas or somewhere to play with them all first....just making sure theres nothing thats absolute junk or anything anyone had major troubles with or anything like that....

i dont think theres a way around the low light deal...they all have small objectives...and besides Lecia i think they all have black readouts which stinks...i think one with red AND black would be the ticket...almost need a light color for dark conditions and a dark one for light conditions...
Old 11-02-2008, 10:48 PM
Spike

10-4 go with the Nikon

Old 11-02-2008, 10:55 PM

I recommend the Bushnell Scout 1000 with ARC. Although it is not absolutely necessary to have ARC in your range finder, it is very nice if your bow is not so quick. It works great for me even though I am shooting close to 360 fps. It works well up until last light (1/2 hour after sunset) in the woods, which all that is legal in Minnesota. Go to Cabela's and try it out. I think you will like it.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

blackstick, i seen thats in about the same price range as the nikon, so its on the "must play with list" looking at 300$ give or take....the nikon 550 rifle hunter and that bushnell, and a leupold model are on the list...not ruling anything out...but thats the top end of the price range i'll spend before i goto the big boys...i have no problem dropping cash on something that is what im looking for and i'll use very often...
Old 11-03-2008, 07:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm on my second Nikon 440. The first died in less than a year and I had NOT taken care of the reciept and warranty card. They wanted $180.00 to fix it and thats what I paid in the first place so I just bought another.

I will say though that at first light sometimes it is hard to find the target your ranging. Can be tough to aim. It's like holding a scope in your hand and not mounted on a rifle.

It would sure be sweet if they made a Nikon that was Binocular and not monocular. You should could acquire a target more quickly.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:28 AM

Very true, a binocular model would be much easier to aim with, but you loose the convenience of carrying less bulky equipment. The Bushnell Scout 1000 with ARC is very small, which has advantages and draw backs. I have trouble aiming it, but my friends don't seem to have a problem, so I just drag one of them into the woods. Just another thing to consider.