Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 First Turkey With a Bow...Not What I Anticipated. >

First Turkey With a Bow...Not What I Anticipated.

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

First Turkey With a Bow...Not What I Anticipated.

Old 11-02-2008, 11:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: First Turkey With a Bow...Not What I Anticipated.

ORIGINAL: mauser06

congrats!! you did a fine job!!! except the whole no pic thing!!![:@][:'(] lol.

turkeys are tricky animals to bring down with a bow, and even when hit hard, they arent likely to leave a good blood trail..and are masters of hiding...

i shot one in the spring 2 years...i pulled the shot and blew a load of hevishot 6's into its wing butt..it was nasty...at the time, i had no idea what happened except it kinda blew over sideways like a rifle shot doe and wasnt moving at all...just didnt look right from my expiriences...i rack another shell in and trott its direction when it gets up and runs dead away from me..pull up..CLICK!! uht oh! rack another shell in(short stroked it the first time got the empty out but never got the new load in) i put the bead on it 40yds away its head was laying on a deadfall...whammm..done deal...go down..pattern hit prefect..blood all over...wheres my bird?!?!? nowhere to be found....took me over an hour to find it...turned out to be 150yds down the hill and across a creek in a brush pile...i would never found it if i didnt see it STILL MOVING....i couldnt believe it...
Wow, that's amazing. I was thinking to myself a few times during the recovery process that I should have just gone with the shotgun, but now I see they can even sustain those hits as well. Thanks, though, and I do have ONE picture I took in a hurry with my 30D on a timer, but forget I left it in manual focus from some work I was shooting last weekend, so that's why it's all blurry, lol. I may get around to posting it up, but you can just barely make out the turkey and my bow.
Old 11-02-2008, 11:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

You mean this guy? Just txt it to your email, dload it, the upload to photobucket.
Old 11-02-2008, 11:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Ben / PA

You mean this guy? Just txt it to your email, dload it, the upload to photobucket.
Wow, I'm an idiot. I never thought to do it that way...hard to believe I'm a TECHNOLOGY teacher sometimes, huh[8D] Behind those two trees to the right of my hand are where the turkeys came through at. Got your text about weight. I didn't grab the scale, but I would guess about 13lbs give or take a lb. I'm basing that soley on my weight lifting experience and the 21.5lber I shot last spring, lol. Not a very educated guess, but oh well. She has a pretty meaty breast though, and I plucked her this time (I skinned my gobbler so I got get the fan) so hopefully she's a bit more juicy.