HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Dogs ruined my morning hunt! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/271242-dogs-ruined-my-morning-hunt.html)

jyanna 11-02-2008 07:15 AM

Dogs ruined my morning hunt!

Well got to the stand before daylight, around 730 i spot a small buck headed my direction, next thing i know hes running fullbore not far behind is a small beagle or walker along with 2 other small things no idea what they were, had my bow drawn back and everything really thought about sticking these dogs as i have never seen them around before, just ticks me off that people dont tie there own dogs up and there running in the woods chasing deer, ruining it for anyone out there hunting, would you guys have wacked the dogs or let them be....

GregH 11-02-2008 07:23 AM

RE: Dogs ruined my morning hunt!

I've had this happen to me about a half dozen times. The worst case was when over 100 dogs came racing through my area followed by 8 people on horse back! They were "fox" hunting, until I told them they weren't welcome on my lease during the hunting season. So far I haven't shot any of them, dogs or people, tempting as it was! [:-]

Deleted User 11-02-2008 07:27 AM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

MartinJaguarArcher 11-02-2008 07:38 AM

I certainly would not shoot the dogs. I would try and catch them and haul them off to the other side of town before I shot them. Are there any houses near by that the owner might live at? Try going door to door and ask who owns them? My dog is pened up all the time but, I just know that I would be in the woods hunting hunters if my dog was shot!

Deleted User 11-02-2008 08:23 AM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Schultzy 11-02-2008 08:33 AM

There is no excuse to shoot an innocent pet, even if he pushed off a 200" deer that was coming your way. It's not the dogs fault.
Wanna bet? When there In the woods that you own showing lots of teeth at 15 yards and ready to take you on It's go time In my book!!! Owners and law enforcement were notified many times of these dogs running, nothing got done. I was sick of crawling tree's when these 2 different dogs from the same place would charge me showing teeth. By no means was It something I took pride In. In saying that no dog Is going to threaten me or my family In my woods I own and hunt or my place of residence and keep getting away with It.

Deleted User 11-02-2008 08:48 AM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

SwampCollie 11-02-2008 08:57 AM

Looks like you got a little taste of what its like in VA east of the dog line to try and bowhunt. Honestly haven't had any major run ins this year myself. Heard some running that came rather close, but haven't had a pack come by and jump on the land I was hunting. But it's just a matter of time.

Killing a dog in VA is a felony... as Michael Vick learned the hard way.

Deleted User 11-02-2008 09:06 AM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Predator19 11-02-2008 10:46 AM

I think it happens to everyone. No need to draw your bow on a dog from the stand. Its different if you feel threatened on the ground.