Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Signs of Illinois Rut >

Signs of Illinois Rut

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Signs of Illinois Rut

Old 11-06-2008, 07:58 PM

Default RE: Signs of Illinois Rut

they are moving good. went out for an afternoon hunt and they are moving. I did shoot a doe. It was also my first deer ever.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: frdbrbw

they are moving good. went out for an afternoon hunt and they are moving. I did shoot a doe. It was also my first deer ever.

That's great, congrats! Post story and pics or take a cyber beatdown

Guys and gals, please keep this thread going. It's nice to hear what's going on out there. My season so far has been BEYOND uneventful with the high temps. Was'nt going to go out again this weekend, but how can I NOT, the conditions may be too perfect!! Good Luck All
Old 11-06-2008, 09:10 PM
Fork Horn

Well I got all my home work done so I am going to try and get out in the morning and God willing with the help of Fred Bear in the wind, I might get the buck my neighbor said he said this moring in the field at my hunting spot. I am hoping to get the buck to come into trophy buck from thinks and rattling and tinks 69 and a primos can... by the way... now that im 20 going on 21 and I have lived alittle I personally find it helerious that its called Tinks Number 69...
Old 11-06-2008, 09:19 PM
Fork Horn

by the way, do you think i should break out the bootpads with doe estrus?
Old 11-07-2008, 07:55 AM
Fork Horn

Well I did see a deer but it was on my way in because I got there about 6:00 right at the start of shooting light and there was a deer feeding in the field, I could not tell if it had horns but I knew I could never make a stalk with my climber stand on my back and a pair of antlers in my hand. So I tried to get closer to my stand set up and then the wind just went ****ty and my scent ended up all over the woods because as the sun got up alittle the air current changed. So that was the only deer I saw today, I only stayed from 6 to 8 am because I have class in about an hour at ICC now I would Cut class and just stayed in my stand but I didnt know if i was going to see anything or if it would have been worth it to stay... well also I have 2 tests that i didnt study for because I was out hunting last night.

So I think my Deer in the woods are still nockturnal... But if the snow gets here tonight and saturday morning, Should they be moving during the day because of the snow? and is the moon ready for rut? anything I could do more of to help my success?
Old 11-07-2008, 10:49 AM
Fork Horn

Relax, dude. It's just a matter of time now. I was out (in Wisconsin) this morning and the weather was awful, but a little buck passed my stand around 10am and rubbed a tree for about five minutes.In my experience, any time you see a buck out in the open in broad daylight like that, it's significant. Once this weather system moves through, it's game on. Lots of new scrapes. I'll bet it's the same near you. Good luck.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:42 PM
Fork Horn

The scrape has been getting bigger and there are always fresh tracks in it. I just was un sure if i was getting here at the wrong time of the day, or if those woods would be full again when rut hits full force... what moon faze am i looking for?
Old 11-07-2008, 02:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nothing down my way. Had perfect conditions last night and sat in a stand where I always see deer and nothing. I won't be back out again until Sunday afternoon, but this weather system should really get them moving.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Headed out on Saturday, the wind might be a problem, but if the gals are moving the boys should be right behind. Hoping they got at least some of the corn out. Hope for the best, plan for the worst...
Old 11-07-2008, 04:35 PM
Fork Horn

The wind is a problem. Tonight the wind was always at my back, and then it picked up and I got a little bit of virtigo, because my tree started to sway back and forth, So I got climbed down because well I don't know why i just felt uncomfortable about the whole thing So i got packed up and as I was walking out I saw something that I thought was a deer and so i stopped and then though oh thats just a clump of weeds on the other side of the field, and then i started walking again and i saw a flash if white running into the railroad tacks. I maintain that they are still for the most part right now noctural. I would be alright i think if there was any other way into my hunting spot other than the south east to the north east or west, because unless i have a north wind every thing is gone and stired up by the time i get in. I think that I am going to give that spot a rest for a while and hunt another guys property for a while and let that timber settle down a little. But I can not help but be a little discouraged. but at least i am starting to see deer again, but they are coming out of the rail road tracks I think they have moved into the old gravel pit ground to the south of the rail road tracks, but i do not know...

Quick Reply: Signs of Illinois Rut

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.