Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Signs of Illinois Rut >

Signs of Illinois Rut

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Signs of Illinois Rut

Old 11-01-2008, 09:44 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Signs of Illinois Rut

Also, does anybody think that perhaps rattling might work?

let me know what you got for me because God knows I need the help.
Old 11-01-2008, 10:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have rattled in 3 bucks now. Only 1 came within bow range but was only a 2.5 yr. old.

Rob what part of the state are you hunting? You better be strapped in from the 13th-15th because if the weather is good the moon will be right and things will be rolling.
Old 11-01-2008, 10:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Illinois Buck Hunter

I have rattled in 3 bucks now. Only 1 came within bow range but was only a 2.5 yr. old.

Rob what part of the state are you hunting? You better be strapped in from the 13th-15th because if the weather is good the moon will be right and things will be rolling.
Northwest, JoDavies and Carrol counties. I hope your right.
Old 11-01-2008, 10:22 PM
Fork Horn

Well I am hunting in marshal country.

I just do not know what to do. or what is going on in my spot. The crops are finally out... I do not know if the deer have moved because they are looking for the food. Do you think that by the time rut hits the will return to the green alphalpha? and that I need to start rattling to bring them in from longer distances?
Old 11-01-2008, 10:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

ORIGINAL: Illinois Buck Hunter

Not familiar with that part of the state, however the moon is still going to be the same there as it is here. Best of luck to you....our bucks usually havea normal set ofantlers for ya too.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:56 PM
Fork Horn

I went out tonight and still did not see a damn thing... and its starting to worry me I have no idea why the deer are not moving... however I have found a fresh scrape with branches busted 7 feet off the ground... So I am sure there is a bigone around... but they all seem to have gone nocturnal... or moved out of the place I am hunting... its kind of a staging area and I hunt the funnel.... Do you think they will come back when rut hits, Should I find a differnt spot untill rut hits?
Old 11-03-2008, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

The weather is making the deer nocturnal. I hunted all day Sunday, just took off an hour for a quick lunch break. The only deer I saw came in while I was waiting for first light. It was a buck but that's all I knew, and it freshened a scrap because he left the place smelling BAD like a buck.

The cold front moving through this weekend will really get them going. However I won't be out until Sunday afternoon[:@]. Remember, the 2nd full moon last year fell on Oct. 26th I believe. This year it's not until the 13th, so things shouldn't be rolling full blown right now.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was up outside of Rockford saturday on my friend's farm and had 2 small bucks come right in after a 20-second rattle with a bag and three grunts on my call. I wasn't in the stand 10 minutes before the first one came in. And both me and my wife saw big bucks today out in fields in the daylight. They're definetly getting more active. I can't wait till I get out next week. Things are heating up, no doubt.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

Hey Rob, when are you going to be in town? I hunt the southwest corner ofJodavies. Still alot of corn up as of last Saturday. We are hoping they get it cut this week. We know there are some nice deer on the property even ifwe haven't seen them yet...
Old 11-03-2008, 11:02 PM
Fork Horn

So seeing as the weather has been too nice and the moon hasnt gotten full yet... Do you think that because the rut has been a long time comming, that when it hits all hell is going to break loose and any stand of deer holding timber will be wild as all hell? Because this lull is kind of scaring me that the rut might not bee very good when it gets here.

Quick Reply: Signs of Illinois Rut

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.