HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   The arrogance of some....(sorry for the long vent) (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/271174-arrogance-some-sorry-long-vent.html)

Scott/IL 11-01-2008 07:08 PM

The arrogance of some....(sorry for the long vent)

I get back from the morning hunt at our family farm and another hunter had showed up to hunt the afternoon. I have had run ins with this guy the past 2 years about hunting where I have my stands.

Rewind back about 5-6 years: I began to bowhunt our farm pretty heavily around this time. I went out and scouted several areas after milling over topo maps. I have since came up with 4 really nice stand locations. At this time it recieved hardly any bowhunting pressure, but occasionally this guy would show up and hunt. No big deal then he went on his own and out of the way.

It ended up that 2 of these stand sites I had chosen were dynamite and this guy noticed I was taking deer every year from them. 2 years ago he decided to move in and put a stand cutting the deer off from me. I told him to get out and I thought he had. I ended up finding out that he was just going in there when I wasn't. Last year same deal, I told him not be in this hollow and there he was again when I wasn't in there. I only saw 2 deer out of this stand in all of November last year when I was averaging 8-10 a day.

Then today comes up. This is the first I have seen him since last season and I ask him where he has stands up. He now has one across the field from where I have been watching a nice 10 point and he knew I had a stand there AND he also has moved his other stand CLOSER to mine and planned on hunting while I was in it this afternoon.

I at first politely told him that he was cutting me off from deer movement in both places and told him I would appreciate it if he would take the stands out tomorrow. Before I had even finished my sentence he had told me "don't worry about it I know where you stands are I'm not hurting anything." This had me boiling now. I just told him to take them down and walked away.

First of this is my families land. My mom and uncle inherited it from my grandparents and me and my cousins have the rights to bowhunt how we feel regardless of this guy. I got permission last year to run the guy off, but I hated kicking a guy out of the place in the middle of the season and leaving him no place to hunt so I just told him not to hunt by me and were fine. Then I found out he had 3 other farms he was hunting, and has added more this year.

What do you guys think is the appropriate thing to do without burning to many bridges?

NJ/PAbwhunter 11-01-2008 07:17 PM

RE: The arrogance of some....(sorry for the long vent)

If I were you, I would stop asking him to leave. Yup. I would tell him to get the hell out.
If he does not have the common courtesy you would show any other hunter, nor the respect that
we should all show each other for that matter,
then I would have to run him out of there before he screws your season worse.
And I would not let any guilt about sending him on his way during the season either. This is your place,
don't feel bad, do what is best for you.
DW

BuckRogers 11-01-2008 07:29 PM

Not to sound like a butthead (but I will anyway), If its your land, KICK HIM OFF! Then when he comes back call the DNR for tresspassing. Only do this if you have full rights on this land which it sounds like you do. Dont be bashful or people will walk all over you.

Rob/PA Bowyer 11-01-2008 07:30 PM

ORIGINAL: NJ/PAbwhunter

If I were you, I would stop asking him to leave. Yup. I would tell him to get the hell out.
If he does not have the common courtesy you would show any other hunter, nor the respect that
we should all show each other for that matter,
then I would have to run him out of there before he screws your season worse.
And I would not let any guilt about sending him on his way during the season either. This is your place,
don't feel bad, do what is best for you.
DW
I have to agree, he doesn't seem to be willing to work with you and he's really pushing his luck.

MartinJaguarArcher 11-01-2008 07:31 PM

Yeah, it sounds like he obviously does have another place to hunt, otherwise he would be trying to bend over backwards to keep you and your family happy. Dosen't sound like is to worried about getting kicked off of your land. I would tell him to leave the area or leave for good! If he still dosen't repect your wishes, I would then kick him off the land by any means neccesary. I know what it is like to not have a place to hunt and this guy dosen't sound like he is that desperate.

IAhuntr 11-01-2008 08:09 PM

Sounds like you're too nice for your own good. Do you want to be a nice guy who's being jacked, or shoot a big buck? In this scenario it's time to decide.

solocamcan 11-01-2008 08:17 PM

You should really do the right thing by helping him with taking his stands down....with a chainsaw, then maybethe lightbulb would go off inside his head.

butcherholler 11-01-2008 08:27 PM

I have to agree with all of the above.Land in ILLINOIS is especially getting harder and harder to find to hunt.I live in New Mexico but my family all lives in Champaign.I bought ten acres four years ago which has served my family good in clark county,I did have to ask the local farmers not to bush hogg it anymore but not a problem since.Hey Id like to have the opportunity to hunt your place,and you can come Elk hunt NM sometime?Just a thought.Anyway,Get ride of this guy.It might seem harsh at the time but in a few months you wont even remember the idiot.

midsouth_hunter 11-01-2008 08:31 PM

Who does this think he is? What makes him think he has the right to huntthe property? If you have the hunting rights to this farm and this guy does not. Go tell him to ge the hell off the property.I don't understand why you have not already taken care of this.

Schultzy 11-01-2008 08:56 PM

Boot Him out!!! He has no respect!

Z2lane 11-01-2008 09:04 PM

I'm in the same boat with ya, Buck Hunter, my folks let a guy hunt our land, and he can do nothing but complain about not seeing any deer and too many weeds on the logging roads. (he doesn't want to get burrs on himself.) By the way this guy has his own land to hunt. I say, tell that joker to get lost.

GTOHunter 11-01-2008 09:08 PM

I want to know who the guy is and why he is hunting your property?Did someone give him permission years ago and now he is a Squatter? :eek:[&:]

If he is a Guest on your property he should respect your hunting area's and stand placements other wise grow a pair and KICK HIM OFF! ;)

bigtim6656 11-01-2008 09:11 PM

it is your land so why do you need to be nice. Call the cops.

Deleted User 11-01-2008 09:14 PM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

bigtim6656 11-01-2008 09:23 PM

Hey get raid of him and i will come and hunt and let you set my stands you can even hunt them

ORIGINAL: DropTine249

If you've got no respect for me- then I've got nowhere for you to hunt !

Call me a control freak, or an ass- but it's your property. Play by your rules, or dont play.

mauser06 11-01-2008 09:24 PM

whoaaaaa whoa whoa....

pretty much YOUR land. this guy is a stranger....hunting YOUR land....been giving you problems for years....youve tried being nice....still giving you problems....

yep...id make it REAL clear that if he was caught on my land again that he would be in serious trouble. plain and simple. i would give him a day to clear his stands off the land. if he failed to do so, and came back later, the cops would be there and i would press trespass charges.

im very appreciative of people who own land and permit me to hunt. i dont own land yet...but with guys like that, i know 10000% why land is posted and closed. if/when i do own land, i WILL post it and patrol it. plain and simple i worked hard to get the land, i work hard to manage the land, and work hard at work and hunting is what i enjoy. im going hunting on my own land problem and worry free. if i come across anyone i might be nice the first time...but after that, they better not be caught again. just something thats not tolerable with me. i cannot stand when someone is nice and goes the extra mile for someone and the slob just stabs em in the back....

Scott/IL 11-01-2008 10:18 PM

ORIGINAL: solocamcan

You should really do the right thing by helping him with taking his stands down....with a chainsaw, then maybethe lightbulb would go off inside his head.
haha funny that you mention that because when I called my cousin tonight to inform him of the conversation I had with the guy that's what he suggested. Obviously I'm not going to send a $300 Lone Wolf to the ground.

However some loggers are coming in next week.....;)

I'm going to see what happens from this. I wasn't able to get ahold of my uncle tonight (the farmer of the land), so he is the ultimate enforcer since he is out there daily. I made it pretty clear to him that he was not allowed to be in there. If I find out that he is going to continue this then another action will be taken. To be honest I'm not to sure how this guy ever got started hunting out here.

Rickmur 11-02-2008 03:26 AM

No brainer, ask for his departer.

peakrut 11-02-2008 04:12 AM

Replace him with me I will respect your stand sites.:)

OneMustFall 11-02-2008 06:37 AM

ORIGINAL: BuckRogers

Not to sound like a butthead (but I will anyway), If its your land, KICK HIM OFF! Then when he comes back call the DNR for tresspassing. Only do this if you have full rights on this land which it sounds like you do. Dont be bashful or people will walk all over you.
Ditto,gettim outa their..............

.:Deerfly:. 11-02-2008 06:47 AM

A former dean of students at a local school came to speak at my master's class and said his motto is, "When in doubt, kick 'em out." I think you should embrace this motto as your own in this instance.

Chris

pick00l 11-02-2008 06:55 AM

Sounds like this guy can not put his stands anywhere close to your special areas. If I were him, why would I want to hunt a farm where I can not hunt any of the good spots? If your not around, why are areas off limits? Do you want him to be successful as well? I think I would get the hint and move on without giving you any trouble. Likely say, thanks for all the good years hunting, I will likely be back but, for now I am going to find some other places on other farms. Thanks again and I'll see you another time. I would be respectful and not give you a hard time.

I understand it is your land, you have the right to restrict as much as you want. I feel in bow season here in PA, you can hunt 50 yards from someone and not affect their hunt much. (depending on 50 other factors) To each their own and sounds like you need to get him off the land if you don't like him enough to allow him to hunt close to your spots. I'm not blaming you, just sounds like a bad fit.

f you knew him better and were actually friends, would this be different?

Tell him see ya and you will feel better. Likely he will fel better as well. No one likes hunting and being uncomfortable or stressed.

Mike from Texas 11-02-2008 08:24 AM

I would kick him off in a heartbeat. Send him a letter certified mail, return receipt explaining why he is to remove his property from your farm. Give him a deadline and if it's not done, then take them down yourself. He can bring the sheriff to gather his belongings as they will be at your house. And if he is caught on the property again for any reason, you will have him arrested for trespassing. Hate to see a fllow hunter lose a hunting spot but he is not respecting your requests and being disrespectful.

TexasBowHunter 11-02-2008 08:54 AM

If the fella can't respect your hunting area on YOUR hunting land, then he has to go....It isn't always nice to have confrontation but it can be done in a amicable way. Turn it on him, let him know that he was asked to move his stands and he couldn't respect that so he needs to get his stuff off of the land and find another place to hunt! Thats how I would handle it.....Best of luck with that situation....

lou-lou 11-02-2008 09:10 AM

Him walking all over your woods might just be the reason your not getting a crack at old mossy horns, it may not be but with him out of there odds get better, Kick him out for DEER MANAGMENT PURPOSES, he trying to Mananage your deer away from your stands, MANANGE his A** hunting somewhere else!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

pipecrew 11-02-2008 09:20 AM

You tried being nice about it. If it were my families land he would not be there.

Sounds like he's a real jerk.

GIVE HIM THE BOOT!!!!!!!!

txhunter58A 11-02-2008 09:45 AM

Take his stands down, put them by the front gate with a message that he is no longer welcome. I am one to try and work a deal if at all possible with people, but this guy's arrogance has crossed the line. There is no difference from this and letting himput a BBQ pit onto you home property and coming out to BBQ anytime he wanted without asking you first. Would you let him do that?

vichris 11-02-2008 09:47 AM

Don't think twice about it. Send him and his stands on the way.

sr77 11-02-2008 10:58 AM

omg, screw that guy, what a jerk. I was getting irritated just reading your story. No ifs, ands, or buts. I would tell him to get the "F" out. He has no respect for you on YOUR property. If he doesn't remove his stands, take them down yourself and leave a note with your number and how to get ahold of you so he can take them back, at which point you tell him, "if you are caught on this property again, you will be arrested" Inform the local authorities what has been happening, and that he was warned in a direct manner to please stop trespassing, that way if you call them, they already know what the problem is. best of luck bud.

Shane

silentassassin 11-02-2008 12:34 PM

I wouldn't ask him to leave. I would physically ****** him off of the property if it were me. But I have a bad temper and an extremly short fuse but I can tell for certain that if it were me; he would be leaving. I would let him choose if he wanted to go the easy way or the hard way but he would be leaving.

The Deer Destroyer 11-02-2008 12:44 PM

Well sometimes, you got to do what you got to do. Get him out of there, and if does keep going back, call the game warden on him and do what needs to be done.

LKNCHOPPERS 11-02-2008 01:44 PM

Boot him out and do it fast. I had to do it this year to a guy that was hunting coming in from the adjoining property. He had about an acre to hunt on the landowners property that gave him permission. He had his two stands on my GFs Dad's property and he didn't know it. Ran into him last year and he told me he had been hunting there 5 years. I told his father he had his stands on the wrong property. Over the summer I caught him talkin crap about us for takin his spot. I told him to move his stands. He wouldn't. The land owner that gave him permission told him to leave his stands. I had a talk with him and then he even got a survey. Both stands not on his property after the survey. His stands are finally gone now. People are just idiots sometimes. Once they set something up they think they own it. "Bootem Quick Now", thats my motto.

NJheadhunter71 11-02-2008 01:58 PM

Ok now, their are 2 sides to every story. I am going to disagree with you on a few things.So the way I am figuring it is you pretty much got the farm locked up with all the spots/travel routes and field edges covered with stands all over the place. I was in this guys boat at one time. We leased land from a guy who wanted to hunt his own land (okay no big deal its his land) Then he adds a uncle okay no big deal, his son and uncle. Then its theuncles kid, sons friend ect ect ect......and guess what are dues still went up every year and we wern't allowed anyone elase on the farm from our club. Then every time we hunted the property the club pres would get a call from the owner saying that someone jacked up close to one of his stands (he put stands all over the place. Obviously deer come from HERE to get to THERE so techniclly we were all cutting each other OFF Right?I was furious asking how the heck would I know there is a stand 100 yrds away on the other side of a thicket! At one point I asked for a weather prof map to be made up and ALL stand locations could be put on there and we could build a station and mark were we were hunting with a grease pencil and he said NAH I don't want to inconvience you boys and make you do all that work just for me. I was freakinn clueless as to this guys agenda. This sharade went on for about two hunting seasons. Here comes the topper, opening day shotgun comes and before we all go to our stands we were chatting at the cars and he (the owner) mentioned about a big buck he has been seeing a 2 of his stands (you know the secret ones that everybody keeps cutting the deer off from him) and my buddy shoots the monster and drags it to his car and when the guy comes for lunch his face turned so freakind beat red when my buddy showed it to him he just mummbled something and walked ogg. The next day guess what? YUP he calls the club prez again saying that that deer was headed his way when my friend shot it!
The whole thing caused issues with in the club and a strange relationshipwiththe land owner so I,and my friends dropped out of the club and told that guy to gostick it cause it was to much of ahassle. Here is the thing you did wrong, you kept pushing a hunter around the property and asked him not to hunt your spots, okay I will buythat but to start saying he cuts them off here, than there, than over here and so on.Are you sure he knew where you were hanging your stands? Did you ask to work with him on what spots you favored and what spots he favored? BIG QUESTION did he kill any decent bucks on that property? It sound like youwanted to bad mouth him from the get go to get him kicked off. You should have just went to your family from the get go and said you wanted the farm all to your self. You also should have just been honest with him and told him you don't want him there stealing your deer.

Scott/IL 11-02-2008 08:04 PM

ORIGINAL: NJheadhunter71

Ok now, their are 2 sides to every story. I am going to disagree with you on a few things.So the way I am figuring it is you pretty much got the farm locked up with all the spots/travel routes and field edges covered with stands all over the place. I was in this guys boat at one time. We leased land from a guy who wanted to hunt his own land (okay no big deal its his land) Then he adds a uncle okay no big deal, his son and uncle. Then its theuncles kid, sons friend ect ect ect......and guess what are dues still went up every year and we wern't allowed anyone elase on the farm from our club. Then every time we hunted the property the club pres would get a call from the owner saying that someone jacked up close to one of his stands (he put stands all over the place. Obviously deer come from HERE to get to THERE so techniclly we were all cutting each other OFF Right?I was furious asking how the heck would I know there is a stand 100 yrds away on the other side of a thicket! At one point I asked for a weather prof map to be made up and ALL stand locations could be put on there and we could build a station and mark were we were hunting with a grease pencil and he said NAH I don't want to inconvience you boys and make you do all that work just for me. I was freakinn clueless as to this guys agenda. This sharade went on for about two hunting seasons. Here comes the topper, opening day shotgun comes and before we all go to our stands we were chatting at the cars and he (the owner) mentioned about a big buck he has been seeing a 2 of his stands (you know the secret ones that everybody keeps cutting the deer off from him) and my buddy shoots the monster and drags it to his car and when the guy comes for lunch his face turned so freakind beat red when my buddy showed it to him he just mummbled something and walked ogg. The next day guess what? YUP he calls the club prez again saying that that deer was headed his way when my friend shot it!
The whole thing caused issues with in the club and a strange relationshipwiththe land owner so I,and my friends dropped out of the club and told that guy to gostick it cause it was to much of ahassle. Here is the thing you did wrong, you kept pushing a hunter around the property and asked him not to hunt your spots, okay I will buythat but to start saying he cuts them off here, than there, than over here and so on.Are you sure he knew where you were hanging your stands? Did you ask to work with him on what spots you favored and what spots he favored? BIG QUESTION did he kill any decent bucks on that property? It sound like youwanted to bad mouth him from the get go to get him kicked off. You should have just went to your family from the get go and said you wanted the farm all to your self. You also should have just been honest with him and told him you don't want him there stealing your deer.
First of all I'm am guessing that you were paying for your lease. That is a totally different situation than this guy. He is hunting here for nothing.

This is a pretty good size farm, it's 365 acres, with half in timber. When I started hunting this farm as my primary spot, this guy and 2 cousins were the only ones hunting, but they were only doing it every so often. The spots I picked out were out of the way of their favorite spots. I started killing deer and this guy moved in on me2 years ago. I only have 4 stands up on this spot. He has 5. There are now 6 of us bowhunting it, although I am the one to spend most of the time out there.

Point I'm trying to make is that this guy was not hunting anywhere close to me until2 years ago, and when I moved into where I have my stands, no one was hunting. I can say he is cutting me off deer, because that is exactly what he did. Taking a look at the sign, it is a no brainer where the deer come from and he just sat up farther up the trail.

I finally got ahold of my uncle and mom tonightand explained to them the situation. My solution was simply have him stay out of my way. Me and my other 2 cousins have the rights to hunt where we wish and we all respect each others own stands. I came up with a map where this guy could hunt without harming any other stand sites. Well the result I got after talking to my mom and uncle was the guy was done. He is getting a phone call from them tomorrow and he is to have his stands out by the weekend and if he is seen out there attempting to hunt again then the game warden will be called.

Also, he has never killed a nice buck off our land.

Chris_H 11-02-2008 08:13 PM

I had the same problem with a guy on my families land... the only thing is, he would hunt my stand when I'd asked him not too, he would leave bottles of PISS and cigarettes in my stand, and I was constantly finding .30-06 shells all around the base of the tree my stand was on. My family, being the good people that they are, wouldn't do anything about the situation. In fact they would find it funny when I would tell them my finds... I have since stopped hunting there at all.

Kick this guy out.

Scott/IL 11-02-2008 08:16 PM

Well since I just made my last post the situation has been updated. The guy got the call tonight and got explained to him that he was no longer going to be able to hunt out there. He just gave my uncle an ok and that is the end of it I hope.

Hoytail Hunter 11-02-2008 09:59 PM

ORIGINAL: Illinois Buck Hunter

What do you guys think is the appropriate thing to do without burning to many bridges?
Bridges? What bridge do you think you have to go back and cross with this guy? Is he important to someone who is important to you?

ORIGINAL: NJheadhunter71

Ok now, their are 2 sides to every story.
Wrong! There are 4 sides to every story. There's his side, her side, your interpretation of the truth, and the actual truth! ;)

NJheadhunter71 11-03-2008 05:43 PM

Good job, you did the thing that was best instead of playing hide and seek with him causing hard feelings (or worse) for all. If your first in line cause of kin than its your spot plain and simple. IMO he should have got the hint a long time ago (I would have LOL) Good luck this season

NCRemington700 11-03-2008 05:59 PM

Yep, this is what I'd tell him.....