Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 The arrogance of some....(sorry for the long vent) >

The arrogance of some....(sorry for the long vent)

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The arrogance of some....(sorry for the long vent)

Old 11-02-2008, 12:44 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: The arrogance of some....(sorry for the long vent)

Well sometimes, you got to do what you got to do. Get him out of there, and if does keep going back, call the game warden on him and do what needs to be done.
Old 11-02-2008, 01:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Boot him out and do it fast. I had to do it this year to a guy that was hunting coming in from the adjoining property. He had about an acre to hunt on the landowners property that gave him permission. He had his two stands on my GFs Dad's property and he didn't know it. Ran into him last year and he told me he had been hunting there 5 years. I told his father he had his stands on the wrong property. Over the summer I caught him talkin crap about us for takin his spot. I told him to move his stands. He wouldn't. The land owner that gave him permission told him to leave his stands. I had a talk with him and then he even got a survey. Both stands not on his property after the survey. His stands are finally gone now. People are just idiots sometimes. Once they set something up they think they own it. "Bootem Quick Now", thats my motto.
Old 11-02-2008, 01:58 PM
Typical Buck

Ok now, their are 2 sides to every story. I am going to disagree with you on a few things.So the way I am figuring it is you pretty much got the farm locked up with all the spots/travel routes and field edges covered with stands all over the place. I was in this guys boat at one time. We leased land from a guy who wanted to hunt his own land (okay no big deal its his land) Then he adds a uncle okay no big deal, his son and uncle. Then its theuncles kid, sons friend ect ect ect......and guess what are dues still went up every year and we wern't allowed anyone elase on the farm from our club. Then every time we hunted the property the club pres would get a call from the owner saying that someone jacked up close to one of his stands (he put stands all over the place. Obviously deer come from HERE to get to THERE so techniclly we were all cutting each other OFF Right?I was furious asking how the heck would I know there is a stand 100 yrds away on the other side of a thicket! At one point I asked for a weather prof map to be made up and ALL stand locations could be put on there and we could build a station and mark were we were hunting with a grease pencil and he said NAH I don't want to inconvience you boys and make you do all that work just for me. I was freakinn clueless as to this guys agenda. This sharade went on for about two hunting seasons. Here comes the topper, opening day shotgun comes and before we all go to our stands we were chatting at the cars and he (the owner) mentioned about a big buck he has been seeing a 2 of his stands (you know the secret ones that everybody keeps cutting the deer off from him) and my buddy shoots the monster and drags it to his car and when the guy comes for lunch his face turned so freakind beat red when my buddy showed it to him he just mummbled something and walked ogg. The next day guess what? YUP he calls the club prez again saying that that deer was headed his way when my friend shot it!
The whole thing caused issues with in the club and a strange relationshipwiththe land owner so I,and my friends dropped out of the club and told that guy to gostick it cause it was to much of ahassle. Here is the thing you did wrong, you kept pushing a hunter around the property and asked him not to hunt your spots, okay I will buythat but to start saying he cuts them off here, than there, than over here and so on.Are you sure he knew where you were hanging your stands? Did you ask to work with him on what spots you favored and what spots he favored? BIG QUESTION did he kill any decent bucks on that property? It sound like youwanted to bad mouth him from the get go to get him kicked off. You should have just went to your family from the get go and said you wanted the farm all to your self. You also should have just been honest with him and told him you don't want him there stealing your deer.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: NJheadhunter71

Ok now, their are 2 sides to every story. I am going to disagree with you on a few things.So the way I am figuring it is you pretty much got the farm locked up with all the spots/travel routes and field edges covered with stands all over the place. I was in this guys boat at one time. We leased land from a guy who wanted to hunt his own land (okay no big deal its his land) Then he adds a uncle okay no big deal, his son and uncle. Then its theuncles kid, sons friend ect ect ect......and guess what are dues still went up every year and we wern't allowed anyone elase on the farm from our club. Then every time we hunted the property the club pres would get a call from the owner saying that someone jacked up close to one of his stands (he put stands all over the place. Obviously deer come from HERE to get to THERE so techniclly we were all cutting each other OFF Right?I was furious asking how the heck would I know there is a stand 100 yrds away on the other side of a thicket! At one point I asked for a weather prof map to be made up and ALL stand locations could be put on there and we could build a station and mark were we were hunting with a grease pencil and he said NAH I don't want to inconvience you boys and make you do all that work just for me. I was freakinn clueless as to this guys agenda. This sharade went on for about two hunting seasons. Here comes the topper, opening day shotgun comes and before we all go to our stands we were chatting at the cars and he (the owner) mentioned about a big buck he has been seeing a 2 of his stands (you know the secret ones that everybody keeps cutting the deer off from him) and my buddy shoots the monster and drags it to his car and when the guy comes for lunch his face turned so freakind beat red when my buddy showed it to him he just mummbled something and walked ogg. The next day guess what? YUP he calls the club prez again saying that that deer was headed his way when my friend shot it!
The whole thing caused issues with in the club and a strange relationshipwiththe land owner so I,and my friends dropped out of the club and told that guy to gostick it cause it was to much of ahassle. Here is the thing you did wrong, you kept pushing a hunter around the property and asked him not to hunt your spots, okay I will buythat but to start saying he cuts them off here, than there, than over here and so on.Are you sure he knew where you were hanging your stands? Did you ask to work with him on what spots you favored and what spots he favored? BIG QUESTION did he kill any decent bucks on that property? It sound like youwanted to bad mouth him from the get go to get him kicked off. You should have just went to your family from the get go and said you wanted the farm all to your self. You also should have just been honest with him and told him you don't want him there stealing your deer.
First of all I'm am guessing that you were paying for your lease. That is a totally different situation than this guy. He is hunting here for nothing.

This is a pretty good size farm, it's 365 acres, with half in timber. When I started hunting this farm as my primary spot, this guy and 2 cousins were the only ones hunting, but they were only doing it every so often. The spots I picked out were out of the way of their favorite spots. I started killing deer and this guy moved in on me2 years ago. I only have 4 stands up on this spot. He has 5. There are now 6 of us bowhunting it, although I am the one to spend most of the time out there.

Point I'm trying to make is that this guy was not hunting anywhere close to me until2 years ago, and when I moved into where I have my stands, no one was hunting. I can say he is cutting me off deer, because that is exactly what he did. Taking a look at the sign, it is a no brainer where the deer come from and he just sat up farther up the trail.

I finally got ahold of my uncle and mom tonightand explained to them the situation. My solution was simply have him stay out of my way. Me and my other 2 cousins have the rights to hunt where we wish and we all respect each others own stands. I came up with a map where this guy could hunt without harming any other stand sites. Well the result I got after talking to my mom and uncle was the guy was done. He is getting a phone call from them tomorrow and he is to have his stands out by the weekend and if he is seen out there attempting to hunt again then the game warden will be called.

Also, he has never killed a nice buck off our land.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had the same problem with a guy on my families land... the only thing is, he would hunt my stand when I'd asked him not too, he would leave bottles of PISS and cigarettes in my stand, and I was constantly finding .30-06 shells all around the base of the tree my stand was on. My family, being the good people that they are, wouldn't do anything about the situation. In fact they would find it funny when I would tell them my finds... I have since stopped hunting there at all.

Kick this guy out.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well since I just made my last post the situation has been updated. The guy got the call tonight and got explained to him that he was no longer going to be able to hunt out there. He just gave my uncle an ok and that is the end of it I hope.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Illinois Buck Hunter

What do you guys think is the appropriate thing to do without burning to many bridges?
Bridges? What bridge do you think you have to go back and cross with this guy? Is he important to someone who is important to you?

ORIGINAL: NJheadhunter71

Ok now, their are 2 sides to every story.
Wrong! There are 4 sides to every story. There's his side, her side, your interpretation of the truth, and the actual truth!
Old 11-03-2008, 05:43 PM
Typical Buck

Good job, you did the thing that was best instead of playing hide and seek with him causing hard feelings (or worse) for all. If your first in line cause of kin than its your spot plain and simple. IMO he should have got the hint a long time ago (I would have LOL) Good luck this season
Old 11-03-2008, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yep, this is what I'd tell him.....