Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 The arrogance of some....(sorry for the long vent) >

The arrogance of some....(sorry for the long vent)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The arrogance of some....(sorry for the long vent)

Old 11-01-2008, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default The arrogance of some....(sorry for the long vent)

I get back from the morning hunt at our family farm and another hunter had showed up to hunt the afternoon. I have had run ins with this guy the past 2 years about hunting where I have my stands.

Rewind back about 5-6 years: I began to bowhunt our farm pretty heavily around this time. I went out and scouted several areas after milling over topo maps. I have since came up with 4 really nice stand locations. At this time it recieved hardly any bowhunting pressure, but occasionally this guy would show up and hunt. No big deal then he went on his own and out of the way.

It ended up that 2 of these stand sites I had chosen were dynamite and this guy noticed I was taking deer every year from them. 2 years ago he decided to move in and put a stand cutting the deer off from me. I told him to get out and I thought he had. I ended up finding out that he was just going in there when I wasn't. Last year same deal, I told him not be in this hollow and there he was again when I wasn't in there. I only saw 2 deer out of this stand in all of November last year when I was averaging 8-10 a day.

Then today comes up. This is the first I have seen him since last season and I ask him where he has stands up. He now has one across the field from where I have been watching a nice 10 point and he knew I had a stand there AND he also has moved his other stand CLOSER to mine and planned on hunting while I was in it this afternoon.

I at first politely told him that he was cutting me off from deer movement in both places and told him I would appreciate it if he would take the stands out tomorrow. Before I had even finished my sentence he had told me "don't worry about it I know where you stands are I'm not hurting anything." This had me boiling now. I just told him to take them down and walked away.

First of this is my families land. My mom and uncle inherited it from my grandparents and me and my cousins have the rights to bowhunt how we feel regardless of this guy. I got permission last year to run the guy off, but I hated kicking a guy out of the place in the middle of the season and leaving him no place to hunt so I just told him not to hunt by me and were fine. Then I found out he had 3 other farms he was hunting, and has added more this year.

What do you guys think is the appropriate thing to do without burning to many bridges?
Old 11-01-2008, 07:17 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: The arrogance of some....(sorry for the long vent)

If I were you, I would stop asking him to leave. Yup. I would tell him to get the hell out.
If he does not have the common courtesy you would show any other hunter, nor the respect that
we should all show each other for that matter,
then I would have to run him out of there before he screws your season worse.
And I would not let any guilt about sending him on his way during the season either. This is your place,
don't feel bad, do what is best for you.
DW
Old 11-01-2008, 07:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not to sound like a butthead (but I will anyway), If its your land, KICK HIM OFF! Then when he comes back call the DNR for tresspassing. Only do this if you have full rights on this land which it sounds like you do. Dont be bashful or people will walk all over you.
Old 11-01-2008, 07:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: NJ/PAbwhunter

If I were you, I would stop asking him to leave. Yup. I would tell him to get the hell out.
If he does not have the common courtesy you would show any other hunter, nor the respect that
we should all show each other for that matter,
then I would have to run him out of there before he screws your season worse.
And I would not let any guilt about sending him on his way during the season either. This is your place,
don't feel bad, do what is best for you.
DW
I have to agree, he doesn't seem to be willing to work with you and he's really pushing his luck.
Old 11-01-2008, 07:31 PM

Yeah, it sounds like he obviously does have another place to hunt, otherwise he would be trying to bend over backwards to keep you and your family happy. Dosen't sound like is to worried about getting kicked off of your land. I would tell him to leave the area or leave for good! If he still dosen't repect your wishes, I would then kick him off the land by any means neccesary. I know what it is like to not have a place to hunt and this guy dosen't sound like he is that desperate.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:09 PM
Typical Buck

Sounds like you're too nice for your own good. Do you want to be a nice guy who's being jacked, or shoot a big buck? In this scenario it's time to decide.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

You should really do the right thing by helping him with taking his stands down....with a chainsaw, then maybethe lightbulb would go off inside his head.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:27 PM

I have to agree with all of the above.Land in ILLINOIS is especially getting harder and harder to find to hunt.I live in New Mexico but my family all lives in Champaign.I bought ten acres four years ago which has served my family good in clark county,I did have to ask the local farmers not to bush hogg it anymore but not a problem since.Hey Id like to have the opportunity to hunt your place,and you can come Elk hunt NM sometime?Just a thought.Anyway,Get ride of this guy.It might seem harsh at the time but in a few months you wont even remember the idiot.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:31 PM
Fork Horn

Who does this think he is? What makes him think he has the right to huntthe property? If you have the hunting rights to this farm and this guy does not. Go tell him to ge the hell off the property.I don't understand why you have not already taken care of this.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Boot Him out!!! He has no respect!

Quick Reply: The arrogance of some....(sorry for the long vent)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.