Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 The Most Incredible Day in the Deer Woods - A MUST READ !! >

The Most Incredible Day in the Deer Woods - A MUST READ !!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The Most Incredible Day in the Deer Woods - A MUST READ !!

Old 11-01-2008, 05:22 PM
Typical Buck

Default The Most Incredible Day in the Deer Woods - A MUST READ !!

CAUTION: This will be rather long winded, but well worth it

The plan for today was to hunt the morning and then meet up with a friend to hang a stand for the gun season which is two weeks away.

The morning was calm and about 57 degrees when I left the truck, rather warm for November 1st. Daylight came about 7:35am and we had a slight fog that was slowly lifting. Around 8am I gave a three doe bleats and then followed by a a few grunts. I was answered back rather quickly by one single grunt. I wait, nothing. I look, nothing. An hour goes by (its a little after nine) and the wind shifted putting me in a not so favorable spot. I decide to check my phone and sure enough, my friend is in the lot so I reply back telling him I will be right up.

This is where I witnessed the most incredible deer vocalizations in the deer woods. As I was walking out, I came to a little swampy opening that is mostly high golden rod and bordered by apple trees. As I break into the opening I see a deer bounding thru the golden rod, which brings me to a hault. Thinking I spooked the deer, I stood there in disbelief[:@]..but then I heard a grunt, followed and anwsered by another at the other end. What unfolded in front of me was a flurry of aggressive buck behavior. This doe was centered in the golden rod and she was surrounded by three mature bucks. I could see one buck rubbing a tree violently as the other stood there like a statue. As I focused on the tree that was shaking, I immediately noticed the rack of the deer doing the damage. The other buck moved closer to the doe and as he did Big Daddy "roared" and launched into the golden rod as to say, sorry not today. These bucks continued to grunt, snort and wheeze at one another. Periodically they would lock horns until one would run, but he didn't go out of sight. So I decided since I had not been seen, I would join in. Again, remember I am on a logging road walking out. This went on for a period of one hour and 20 minutes and these deer never left a square no bigger than 100 yards by 100 yards. At one point I had a nice (16 inch or so) heavy 8 point at 18 yards broadside(thanks to my rangefunder), but I had brush blocking me from having a clear shot. This buck stood there for at least 10 minutes. He would grunt periodically and sometimes snort wheeze to the others. He had to grunt at least 6 times while there. All I needed him to do was take a few steps, but he wouldn't. He finally turned and focused on the doe, as they took turns chasing her until she finally left. During this time I must of heard 100 grunts, some drawn out, and some very short loud grunts, along with at least 30-40 snort wheezes. I can't count how many times these bucks were sparring on trees as to take out the aggressions. Twice thebucks would lock horns, and to be honest, I couldn't tell if it was the same two or not, but what I do know, as they did the other would pursue the doe, making the other two stop and give chase.

I left without a shot, but witnessed something that I barely believe myself. I have spent alot of time in the deer woods but nothing compares to this. These deer where more vocal than the elk I hear in Colorado. I still have a tag and two weeks left of the NY Archery season. The memory, will never leave me.

Thanks for taking the time to read. Let me know your thoughts

Old 11-01-2008, 05:32 PM

Default RE: The Most Incredible Day in the Deer Woods - A MUST READ !!

thatwould have been great to witness
Old 11-01-2008, 05:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes sir, your lucky to have witnessed that in the day light. Good luck the rest of the season.
Old 11-01-2008, 05:56 PM
Typical Buck

It was amazing, that is for sure. I am just not sure if they had a hot doe pinned down or what. Seems a little early for them to come into heat.

ORIGINAL: AR Bowhunter

Yes sir, your lucky to have witnessed that in the day light. Good luck the rest of the season.
Old 11-01-2008, 06:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

That's good stuff right there. You don't get a show like that very often! I'm glad for you. I have heard a buck grunt in the same EXACT spot 2 days in a row now. Today a 6pt or basket 8pt came running out of the thicket I'm hunting the edge of right at noon. I believe he was chased from this thicket, because I keep hearing load rustlingin the same spot. I think a buck (maybe the big 8pt I've got a pic of)is waiting for that special time.
Old 11-01-2008, 06:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

That is an awesome story~!
Old 11-01-2008, 06:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

And the checks in the mail.

In PA our deer just send post cards or an email. no need to support a long necked beast to maintain a small collection of snort fart ,snort burp, snort spit,snort I'm running under your tree call.

Old 11-01-2008, 06:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

I've been privileged to witness many things after nearly 30 years bowhunting but they don't dare compare to that one hour you just had Rob. That's an incredible story. I've heard grunts from plenty of bucks prior to seeing them and only ever one snort wheeze.

BPBowhunter mentioned something very similiar today, he had some heavy antlered mature bucks battling as well. Things are heating up, keep at it.
Old 11-01-2008, 07:02 PM
Typical Buck

I think the amount of snort wheeze's I heard was really cool. I have never heard that in the woods before and to hear the number of snort wheeze'sI heard today made up for that

Just thinking as a reminder to those who have camcorders...DO NOT LEAVE THEM AT HOME.

I have a new Canon GL2 and since I hunt alone, haven't taken it out...that may start to change.

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

I've been privileged to witness many things after nearly 30 years bowhunting but they don't dare compare to that one hour you just had Rob. That's an incredible story. I've heard grunts from plenty of bucks prior to seeing them and only ever one snort wheeze.

BPBowhunter mentioned something very similiar today, he had some heavy antlered mature bucks battling as well. Things are heating up, keep at it.
Old 11-01-2008, 07:14 PM
Typical Buck

THE PROPERTY OWNER OF THE PROPERTY I HUNT ON SAW A LARGE BUCK MOUNT A DOE LAST NIGHT!!!!!!!

ITS A ROCKING NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GREAT STORY STAY CLOS BY AND YOU'LL GET YOUR SHOT
GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: The Most Incredible Day in the Deer Woods - A MUST READ !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.