HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   You wonder how accurate "We" are lol (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/271112-you-wonder-how-accurate-we-lol.html)

GR8atta2d 11-01-2008 08:13 AM

You wonder how accurate "We" are lol

I watched one of these hunting shows yesterday on the Outdoor Channel. They posted a picture of a buck from a trailcam and 3 EXPERTS were to estimate age and score.

They differered by 1 year and over 12 inches of score.

All this on a 3.5 year old deer..one guy put at 2.5 year old.

So I guess the tolerances are:
Age +/-50%
Score +/-20%

Of course thats for experts....so as amatures our tolerance should be more open...?

Pope94/IA 11-01-2008 08:20 AM

RE: You wonder how accurate "We" are lol

Well in that case I wouldn't call them experts...

I have no idea how to age a deer. I do happen to know how to score. I am just a beginner (I just started 8 days ago) But I do know the main things your suppose to look for but is not always accurate.

Schultzy 11-01-2008 08:52 AM

I'm no expert on scoring either but I've got a pretty good teacher In a P&Y measurer (friend) that has showed me the ropes along with a few tricks In scoring whitetails. I'd say 3/4ths of the guys on TV are good with there scoring, some of the other guys It's almost funny with the numbers they come up with. Numbers sell though!!

Usually with me when looking at pictures of bucks people get I'm usually short on what the buck actually scores. There are some guys on HNI that are damn good at winging scores out from the hip!! Them same guys are always usually close.

GR8atta2d 11-01-2008 03:05 PM

Care to share those "tricks" I'm by no means an expert on the hoof, but I'm in the "ballpark" .. always willing to learn a few tricks. ;)

GregH 11-01-2008 03:43 PM

Practice, practice and more practice!

I estimate tine length based on ear length, an ear being roughly 6 inches.

Inside spread based on tip to tip ear length. 16" for 2 1/2s, 17" for 3 1/2s and 17'-18" for 4 1/2s and older.

Mass and beam length are estimates that are ingrained in my head from the many deer I've actually measured. So it's a best guess for me.

Rob/PA Bowyer 11-01-2008 08:20 PM

ORIGINAL: GregH

Inside spread based on tip to tip ear length. 16" for 2 1/2s, 17" for 3 1/2s and 17'-18" for 4 1/2s and older.

Mass and beam length are estimates that are ingrained in my head from the many deer I've actually measured. So it's a best guess for me.
I tend to slightly underestimate deer. I guess that could be good. LOL I usually don't give them enough credit on main beam length.

GregH 11-01-2008 08:43 PM

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

ORIGINAL: GregH

I tend to slightly underestimate deer. I guess that could be good. LOL I usually don't give them enough credit on main beam length.

This is where I usually fall short also.