Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Interesting conversation I had with a trail cam thief >

Interesting conversation I had with a trail cam thief

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Interesting conversation I had with a trail cam thief

Old 10-31-2008, 06:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Interesting conversation I had with a trail cam thief

Honestly Hoytail, I would of kicked his fricking ass and then some!![:@]
Old 10-31-2008, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have zero respect for those who steal. Thankfully the only thing I've had stolen in terms of hunting equipment, were the two sections of Gorilla climbing sticks this past September.
Old 10-31-2008, 06:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

I leave my climber many nights on public land. If I sit till dark and will be in in the morning dark..I'll leave it. I have even left my bow up in the tree on a hanger.

I've seen other stands, a ladder stand today, blinds, even tube feeders,etc. Now the ladder stands and fixed stands stick in my craw because they seem to think they claim some type of "ownership" to the spot, but I'd never steal one. I may leave a stinky sock behind the set-up[:-]...but would never steal it.

However the self made tube feeder..disappeared, but I didn't leave the woods with it.

Public land or Private land matters not..stealing something of value is stealing! Thats like saying someone taking your truck from the Mall parking lot is more acceptable then stealing it from your driveway.

Old 10-31-2008, 06:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think he needed a good sack punch , he is scum bag
Old 10-31-2008, 07:44 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Hoytail Hunter

Well, not with the actual thief himself but the accomplice.

One day me and the guys were throwin' a few back andsaid accomplice comes by to join us. He and the trail cam nabber had just come back from a hunt and he felt compelled to tell us the story of how they "scored" a nice trail cam off public land. Mind you, done so in a fashion like he was damned proud of the deed.

I didn't wanna assume that he was proud so I asked, "are you proud of what you did?" He replied with something to the affect of, "yep, and not only that, I'm doing my job as a good citizenin helping keep the forest clean of trash."

WOW!!! I was taken aback by that. I asked if he was so concerned about the forest being free of trash then why not grab a trash bag and walk up and down the road's edge. I don't remember exactly what he said to that but it pretty much fell in line with the first thing he said. The rest of the conversation isn't important and was pointless anyway as this guy was proud that he was scum.

There are 2 sides to this coin. It is public land so the trail cam owner shouldn't be putting up stuff. That being said, I think it's waaaaay more wrong to take somebody's stuff. Public land or not, if you steal something that belongs to someone else it's still a scumbag thing to do. I think the most I would've done was take the cam and leave a note telling the owner to claim it at the DNR's office. That way a lesson is learned by the owner and no crime is commited by me.

Your thoughts...
I agree that no one should steal,but it also bothers me that some of you would even remove it and move it ,that in my eyes is also wrong.If it is not yours you should leave it alone period after all you said it was public land,what gives any of us the right to mess with anothers hunters equipment even if you do leave a note that it can be picked up at the dnr's office if it's not yours and you are on public land leave it where you found it and don't touch it.I don't imagine you were in a very good mood when you found your camera missing,I know it would piss me off if I went to check my camera and there on the tree instead was a note,what gives you the right to remove my camera?Privite land is another story though.
Old 10-31-2008, 07:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

i have no proplem with setting stuff up on public land it is legal here between sept 1 and jan 25th for stands. As for cames i guest it is the same or they can be up all year not sure. God help the person that takes my stand.
In fact i plan for next season, to buy a cheap non flash IR cam to set up at the same height of my stand so i can get a pic if someone takes it.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Public land doesn't mean squat...it's never right to take something that don't belong to you. I hate a thief.....most people have to work hard for everything they got and then low life pieces of sh*t like your accomplance feels the need to steal rather then go out and earn the $$ to buy their own. Don't be surprised if something of yours comes up missing at the hands of this drinking buddy if he thinks he needs it more then you.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: treboryerf

I agree that no one should steal,but it also bothers me that some of you would even remove it and move it ,that in my eyes is also wrong.If it is not yours you should leave it alone period after all you said it was public land,what gives any of us the right to mess with anothers hunters equipment even if you do leave a note that it can be picked up at the dnr's office if it's not yours and you are on public land leave it where you found it and don't touch it.I don't imagine you were in a very good mood when you found your camera missing,I know it would piss me off if I went to check my camera and there on the tree instead was a note,what gives you the right to remove my camera?Privite land is another story though.
You misunderstood and rightfully so because I didn't clarify. There was no way for you to know this but the idea I tried to convey was that if I were so concerned for the "cleanliness of the woods" then the most I would do is what was stated. Even then I'd feel like the punk ishes that slash tires or key cars.

But... that wouldn't happen anywaybecause I couldn't give 2 shucks whether there was a trail cam in the public woods or not. It has next to zero effect on my hunting as I like to stay far far away from where most people like to hunt.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:36 PM
Typical Buck

Knock him down. Tweek his nose. Then, make him eat his own testies. I bet he stops after that.
Old 11-01-2008, 04:38 AM
Fork Horn

I think you handled it the right way - I like the garbage bag idea.

cameras on public land are OK with me - don't see any problem with that. Stands and such cannot be left over night in Wisconsin(on public land), but really I have no problem if a hunter is coming back the next day to get it so they don't have to haul it out in the dark. IMO - I hate to see stands left out all season or worse yet all year on public land

I am concerned how much you guys want to use violence to solve problems. I hope its just blowing off steam verbally and you wouldn't punch out this guy.

Quick Reply: Interesting conversation I had with a trail cam thief

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.