Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Help me out here guys !!! >

Help me out here guys !!!

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Help me out here guys !!!

Old 10-31-2008, 11:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Help me out here guys !!!

ORIGINAL: Tomkat08

Whip his ass!

Nah man, i would let him do it his way.
But to rub off on him, in off season take him scouting and show him how to find sign.
Then he will be making better stand placement .
A little ass kick'n never hurt anybody
Old 10-31-2008, 11:26 AM
Typical Buck

let him go he will figure it out. No one in my family hunts and I had to start on my own and now I kill big deer every year. Sometimes the best lessons in life are the ones you learn on your own
Old 10-31-2008, 11:38 AM
Typical Buck

Hey at least your nice enough to tell him where to go if he doesnt listen thats his fault. He is a young teenage boy he is either going to learn or listen, both of which are good for him. My dad used to make me find my own spots and then about half way through the season if i was struggling he'd late me sit his stands and explain why those sets are where there out. Slowly i became better at making my own setups and I accepted that dad might have a clue.
Old 10-31-2008, 11:42 AM
Typical Buck

As the dad of a 15 year old, I feel for ya and I know exactly where you are coming from. My son doesn't hunt much (although he is going with me tomorrow) so I don't have that problem there but in other areas such as sports or girls, well whatever I say, forget it.

If I knew the answer, I would be a Dr. Phil and you would have to buy a book in order to find out, but in all seriousness, maybe an uUcle or a close adult friend can try to encourage him to at least try some other areas.

I realize you said your older son has already tried this approach, but that may still be too close a relative (sibling competiveness) for him to listen. I know this works with my son. I tell him something, in one ear and out the other. A coach tells him the exact same thing and all of the sudden it is (should I dare say this word) gospel.

Beyond that, I would have to say let him find his own way even if it the long way. I am afraid if he is practically forced to sit one of your stands, it will tarnish the accomplishment, from his perspective, if he does in fact score. But hey, you know your son and his specific personality whereas I am just generalizing.

But I do feel for what you are going through in that we all want to see our children succeed and become better than what we are, in all facets of life.

Fortunately, for my son, the bar is not set too high in this regard.

Old 10-31-2008, 11:53 AM
Typical Buck

Let him learn the hard way. Im 23 and hunt much harder and later and in harder to get to places than when I was 16, as well as put more effort into a stand site, and not just where I can see good and my success has dramatically improved. Learned the hard way. My dad only rabbit hunted, so I learned MOST on my own anyway, and greatful now to have the resources like this at hand to compare and contrast and share knowledge.
Old 10-31-2008, 12:18 PM
Typical Buck

Look at it this way man...at least he's hunting. My 19 year old tried it with me a couple times before he decided that its just not his thing. I would love to have him out hunting with me...even if I did not agree with his sets.
Like others have said, he'll live and learn and most of the schoolin will come from "the old man".
Good luck.
Old 10-31-2008, 12:21 PM
Fork Horn

He'll appreciate it more if you let him do it his way, without seeing much. But hunting is hunting, and we all like to hear advice. I say, let him hunt the stand and after so long, he'll want to move it himself. Or maybe just give him an extra stand, if you have one, and tell him he can put it up wherever he likes.

Good luck.
Old 10-31-2008, 12:23 PM

Ah Navy you posted and gave me an idea. Perhaps I will drop him off in your lap)))). Your just a few miles down the road. LOL, what are friends for?

Dave
Old 10-31-2008, 12:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

He'll eventually get tired of watching squirrels and will come askng for help. Especially when the rut kicks in and he's not seeing anything.