Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Wisconsin Rut

Old 11-06-2008, 10:34 AM

Default RE: Wisconsin Rut

Sorry if I sound like a broken record... November 6: 2 small crusing bucks this morning, bigger ones on camera at 6 pm.One cool thing I did find, one of the bigger bucks had made a rub on an 8 inch tree near my trailcamera and when I went to look at it I found an honest to goodness scrape line. First one ever that I have seen in that part of our woods. Don't get me wrong, I have seen scrapes and I guess if you connected them they would make a line, but this is a scrape every 20 yards almostall the way across the 40 across. The down side is it is only about 50 yards off of the road. There is a lot of brush and high grass between the road and the scrapeline so I guess the deer have a little privacy from the road. Anyone think it is worth hanging a stand nearby or is all that activity after dark?
Old 11-06-2008, 11:02 AM
Fork Horn

Missed an 8 this morning, shot right over its back, I wasn't too upset, he wasn't that great but was in range and I figured I'll give him a shot, it was the first deer I have ever shot at out of a ground blind. Thats exciting. He was directly downwind and didn't sense a thing. After i shot he ran 50 yards and stopped and walked into the woods. The good thing is I found my arrow because I was shooting into cut corn, didn't want to lose a rage, and arrow and a luminok thats about 25 bucks thrown out the window. Now I can hunt some more because I think things are picking up.
Old 11-06-2008, 02:59 PM
Fork Horn

Looks like a chance of rain on Saturday, but cooler temperatures. Saw a 1.5 6 point this morning with his nose to the ground, I think the rain will be light enough to not limit deer movement.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:04 PM
Fork Horn

I also am tracking the Rutting Moon as well to see its affect on the rut. I tracked down Charles Alsheimer's email and sent him a quesiton about the Rut this year. Here was my exchang ewith him...

I live in Dallas but I hunt in Bear Valley, WI just east of RichlandCenter. I have only one week a year to hunt so I am always concenred aboutpicking the best week. Not takinginto account bad weather (like last year)what would you recommend is the best week to hunt (Sunday to Sunday)?

For the last 2 years I have chosen the last few days of October and into the first week of November. I have seen some buck movement but nothing spectacular. The weather has been way too warm. I emailed Charles Alsheimer and he had this to say...

Charles,

I am at the point where I am scheduling my Bow Hunting trip to southwest Wisconsin for the 2008 season. I appreciate the advice you gave me last year. The weather turned out to be terrible (7 day hunt, 4 days with wind over 25 mph, one with 40+ mph). I still took a nice 124 inch buck after about 70 hours in the stand (I hunt hard).

What do you recommend for this year? I have one week to hunt (Sunday to Sunday). My options are:

Oct. 26 - Nov. 2
Nov. 2 - Nov. 9
Nov. 9 - Nov. 16

Thanks.

Brett,

The rutting moon hits (full moon) on November 13th this year. The best week will be 11/15 to 22nd. If you only have one week to choose then take the latest one.

Good Luck!

Charlie

(He's a helluva nice guy)
Old 11-07-2008, 12:44 PM
Fork Horn

I hunted this morning until 9:30 the wind nad rain are brutal, so I sat in the ground blind again, I had a ten run through the cut corn about 6:45 am and a doe (alone and walking) past by around 7:15, that was it then it started spitting rain hard. I took a drive down to the end of our road (deadend) and there were about 6 deer on the neighbors property next to ours I saw one nice buck. They are out and about but the weather has made them hunker in valleys and woods, I don't see them running on ridgetops.
Old 11-08-2008, 06:53 PM

I do believe it is on like Donky Kong. Bucks everywhere but my truck this afternoon. My cousin took a thick racked 8 pointer and a buddy missed a bunny shotwhen he incorporated pulling the trigger as part of his draw for a little early arrow departure. Amazing what a little cold weather can do!
Old 11-09-2008, 05:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Marquette county has bucks moving really good, I have seen enough to say it's on. 6 buck's thursday morning chasing hard. then saturday morning had 2. Nothing really big though. My step brother had 3- 2 1/2, 1- 3 1/2 yesterday morning.