Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My first deer

Old 10-31-2008, 08:32 AM

Default RE: My first deer

That was your first DEER?? Holy crap, you're spoiled now! Congrats man!!
Old 10-31-2008, 08:33 AM
Spike

The story... We always have deer around the house. I had 3 does within 10 feet of me on opening day. When I drew back they spooked and went to about 40 yards and I didn't shoot because I didn't feel confident with the shot. And then we didn't see them around the house very often. I started to find signs on the hill behind us. So I bought a tree stand. The night I was putting the tree stand together ( I assembled it on my deck before dragging it into the woods the next day) I heard big deer about 30 yards off just tearing things up. The next day I found a tree that he had shreded. Then my wife would call me when I was at work and tell me there were deer around the house. Last week it got cold around here and everytime I would go out to get firewood there were deer around the house. As many as 10 all around the house but it was dark or nearly dark. So I decided to get some of that camo burlap from Walmart and put it around the deck to make a blind. I got home from work yesterday, got my sent free shower and into my hunting clothes and went on my deck. My 3 year old was in the window c'mere deer (she's been asking for deer and squash since her birthday earlier this month). I got a phone call from my boss and I thought here goes this hunt. shortly after I got off the phone I heard something coming through the woods. I saw antlers and I thought thats a big deer. He continued up the fence line and stopped behind our wood pile. I drew my bow. He looked around for a bit I stood motionless. He continued up the hill and slightly towards the house. I remember thinking don't jump the fence and crap I didn't cut any shooting holes in the burlap on this side. I moved just a little to my right to the edge of the burlap so that I could shoot. He continued coming. Just before I shot I remembered thinking I need to look through my peep and get my form right. I lined up the shot and dropped him. My 6 year old daughter was watching through the window when I shot the deer. (I thought she might get tramatized, but no she wanted to see the guts) The deer dropped instantly (it was a good shot) He flopped down the hill about 10 feet and there he laid in between my practice target and the woodpile. Now he's all packaged up in the freezer and later today his head will go to the taxidermist. My neighbor came over (he owns the 60 acres next to us) He said he had my deer on trailcam and was going to give me the pics of him. They also don't get much bigger than that around here. He also told me to register it with P&Y as did another friend that came over to help me skin and cut him up.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:37 AM
Dominant Buck

That is tooooo cool
Old 10-31-2008, 08:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

I guess you can return that treestand now. Congrats that's a whopper of a buck, especially your first.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats
Old 10-31-2008, 09:38 AM
Typical Buck

Wow. Thanks for the story! You must practically live "in the woods." One of the most interesting success stories I've heard!!
Old 10-31-2008, 09:48 AM
Fork Horn

Thats cool!! Nice buck. A friend told me of a guy he took hunting for the 1st. He told me that the guy was 65 years young. Said other then the 1st hunt with his son and duagther it wwas the best hunt he ever went on. Don't know what that has to d owith this but thought it was also cool.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:10 AM
Typical Buck

A buck like that deserves a bigger picture and a bit more of a story!

Congrats!

GH
Old 10-31-2008, 10:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

cool... nice buck