Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Dear Rob...I may have to recant on calling >

Dear Rob...I may have to recant on calling

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Dear Rob...I may have to recant on calling

Old 10-30-2008, 02:48 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Dear Rob...I may have to recant on calling

Thats why Im skeert to rattle
Old 10-30-2008, 03:04 PM
Typical Buck

A little topic-related story ...

Never, ever had any luck rattlin until last Sunday, when a 130 class came in (big for the area but not the biggest), of course very quietly and directly behind me and to my right. It was impossible to get in shooting position without him seeing me so I froze hoping he'd a make a mistake - he didn't. I'm guessing he wasn't the dominant buck of the area b/c he was scared looking, not agressive. He hovered 20 yds away for a minute or so, all the while looking around the base of mytree. By the time he looked away and I made a move he was in the thick stuff headin out the way he came

Honestly I've rattled in the past just to kill time, I was unsuccessful at it for so long, it suprised me when this dude responded, but next time I'll be more prepared.
Old 10-30-2008, 05:28 PM

I "blind" call a lot and have A LOT of success with it. Maybe it's the area where I hunt but it works for me. I'd say that every buck I've killed as been a result of me blind calling or throwing out a few grunts when they are in sight. Good luck!
Old 10-30-2008, 05:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I think you may have heard this before but, What are you afraid of, actually calling one in?
Since you asked.....

I'm afraid of alerting a perfectly calm whitetail that may come by me as to my whereabouts.....or "something's" whereabouts. For every deer you tell me you call in.....there could just as easily be that many (or 2X?, 3X, 4X???) or more who hear it and go the other way.

I'm talking about HERE....where I hunt. I wouldn't begin to think I know someone else's woods better than they do...so I won't speak for anywhere else.
That's just it Jeff, in calling for 25 years, I've never seen a buck that changed direction simply because of soft calling. They either come in or ignore you. What makes you think your scaring any?

Sure it's unknown but I've never turned one away with soft calling.

And again, when you have a target buck in your vision and he's not coming, why not call? If he comes, shazam...if not, he's not spooked, you still didn't have a shot.

I guess your afraid because you don't know.

It worked for me in your woods.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I did so tonight, and he did not change his mind off the doe he was joggin round my tree with [:@]

Honestly though, I have killed three deer off of me grunting them in here, and have grunted in quite a few more. Last year I blind called in a 5 point and turned around the 10 pt I shot . I have complete and total faith in grunting, but ticklin the horns is a totally different story.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:58 PM
Dominant Buck

That's just it Jeff, in calling for 25 years, I've never seen a buck that changed direction simply because of soft calling. They either come in or ignore you. What makes you think your scaring any?
Not so much "scaring them away"....but look at it this way....

I used to hunt the same areas over and over again (because I had to). If I were to use calls.....I'm alerting deer to the presence of "something". First time a deer looks for the source and doesn't see it....does it spook him? What spooked that buck in PA last year? We just don't know. We can guess....but we just don't know.

I do know if I don't make a peep.....chances are I'm not spooking anything.

Sure it's unknown but I've never turned one away with soft calling.
None that you know of. Kinda like when people say they've never been busted.

And again, when you have a target buck in your vision and he's not coming, why not call? If he comes, shazam...if not, he's not spooked, you still didn't have a shot.
I don't disagree with that. It's the blind calling I take issue with.

I guess your afraid because you don't know.
Why do you have to be a sarcastic smartass, Rob....every time we have a difference of opinion? I'm not "afraid" (maybe "smart"??). And what don't I know? Is it really that hard to just say you disagree without the belittlement attempts?

It worked for me in your woods.
So you say. Got any harvest photos?

Old 10-30-2008, 07:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jeff as long as you have several different spots to hunt, then I would try the blind calling. IF it doesnt work switch for another spot, keep shangin up your calling locations, this is what has led to my success in the past at calling deer in. I am not there everyday calling them in, only every once in a while.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:12 PM
Dominant Buck

Oneshot I did a little this morning (blind calling)....in a spot where I've ONLY seen bucks. I'm not afraid to try it there (okay....clarification....I'm not "worried" about educating deer, there, as I've only hunted this spot, twice). I've got spots where I won't do it, though (like pretty much all of the spots I had last year and the 2 years before).

I'm not against it. I'm against it in certain places, HERE.

Old 10-30-2008, 07:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

I used to hunt the same areas over and over again (because I had to). If I were to use calls.....I'm alerting deer to the presence of "something". First time a deer looks for the source and doesn't see it....does it spook him? What spooked that buck in PA last year? We just don't know. We can guess....but we just don't know.
But he came from out of range to point blank range, at that point it could have been scent, not seeing the deer etc. but it was too late, he came in range. That's what was suppose to happen. He didn't turn tail and run when you called to him the first time. He came in.

I understand what your saying, your not "alerting" them, you just calling to them. If you are subtle, they will either come or flick their tail and continue what they are doing. No alerting, no harm, no foul.

I called aggressively when I was there, of course it was more into the rut. Most of the bucks just kept doing what they were doing and ignored me. That one I missed (most likely one of your mounts) heard me, walked up the park fence, and turned and walked right back down to me. (The call).

None of them spooked. Did I spook any I didn't see? We'll never know, I was calling to the ones I did see and wanted to come.

None that you know of. Kinda like when people say they've never been busted.
Nor do I care cause I'm calling to the one I have visual on, the one I want to come. I don't fret the unknown.

I don't disagree with that. It's the blind calling I take issue with.
Thus why you'll read many times where I say I don't blind call but rarely.

Why do you have to be a sarcastic smartass, Rob....every time we have a difference of opinion? I'm not "afraid" (maybe "smart"??). And what don't I know? Is it really that hard to just say you disagree without the belittlement attempts?
For crying out loud, now whose being paranoid. There was nothing smartass nor sarcastic about that statement Jeff. Were these not your exact words from your own post above? Post number 10 of this thread. You said afraid, I just restated it that way rather than calling you ignorant to calling whitetails of which are you not?

I'm afraid of alerting a perfectly calm whitetail that may....
You've never experienced successful calling in your woods. You don't know if it works. Your discovering maybe it does. Thus the title of your thread or are you now the guru of calling and above taking advice. I offer it, you denounce it. I haven't disagreed with your post, I was offering sound advice and you say I'm belittling you. Fine Jeff, I'll just NOT offer you anything more from here on out. You take it and run it into the ground anyway just like atlasman.

So you say. Got any harvest photos?

Now who's being the sarcastic smartass. It's not my word, you know I shot and missed. Big deal. The call worked, period. Now I'm out. Have a great season.

Old 10-30-2008, 07:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I may have to give calling a try this weekend. I have heard more buck grunting this last week than in the last 2 years combined.

I tried a decoy 2 weeks ago and it spooked the does. That's not good after they blow a few times.[:@]

Quick Reply: Dear Rob...I may have to recant on calling

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.