Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Squirrels -- Things I'm convinced of: >

Squirrels -- Things I'm convinced of:

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Squirrels -- Things I'm convinced of:

Old 10-31-2008, 06:41 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Squirrels -- Things I'm convinced of:

I was covered in squirrels and chipmunks last night. Talk about noise...I could hardly hear myself think. I found something to quiet them down though. They seem to become real scarce when a hawk swoops in and grabs one (chipmunk) from a log. Must say it was one of the coolest things I've ever seen. About 30 minutes later a hawk lands about 10 feet from me in the next tree looking for more snacks. Had no deer come through but seeing that made the sit worth it.
Old 10-31-2008, 06:59 AM
Bartender

I swear they make my heart skip a beat on every hunt I go on.
But at least so far ive seen 2 of the sob' fall out of a tree this season.
Of course I could not help getting a good laugh at one after he fell.
That dude climb up the tree right in front of me after the fall and stood on a cut branch and looked
at meto see ifI seen him fall. I think the old fella was hurting pretty good.
The 2nd one that fell was way and the hell up in the tree when he fell and I just heard a loud
THUMP and that was it. I should of walked over and checked him out after dark but I dont take
chances with SQUIRRELZILLA'S.
ORIGINAL: GMMAT

1. I'm convinced that squirrels are God's curse on bowhunters....for inventing the term "cull buck".

2. I'm convinced that a man could enter the top ten most prolific squirrels killers in the world list if he'd hang a tree stand and put a bow on a hook.....and hide his rifle.

3. I'm convinced the squirrels where i live practice 8.5 months out of the year .....trying to replicate the sound a deer makes moving through the woods in dry leaves. And...they're damned good at it.

Feel free to add your own.[:@]
Old 10-31-2008, 08:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Squirrels don't fool me much deer hunting, I've got tons of them and pretty much have got there steps figured out. Them damn pheasants Is what fools me, they sound exactly like a deer!

I should add this also that too many times that pesky little mouse below my stand rooting around In the leaves has tricked me a couple times In thinking there was something around. Turkeys can be tough at times also. Specially when there pawing away the leaves, sounds like a buck refreshing a scrape.

Shoot the squirrels Jeff In the off season, there excellent tasting!!
Old 10-31-2008, 09:12 AM
Typical Buck

I carry my .22 pellet gun with me while scouting in the offseason hanging stands. Seems to cut down on the overpopulation and gives them a reason to hide when I enter the woods!
Old 10-31-2008, 09:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

If a squirrel just appears near me, I usually don't mind it. Its the ones that approach through 30 yards of woods to get to me and the ones that really make me mad. I think they practice how to sound like a slowing moving deer!! Last season I didn't see any on one stand and my last night hunting, right at dark I hear the leaves cracking from 2 different directions. I have my gun up ready for a shot, and wouldn't you know, both were black squirrels. Boy was I mad![:@]
Old 10-31-2008, 09:18 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-31-2008, 09:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I watched one take a fall last night. I could feel him in my tree, I looked up and there he was...10 feet above my head. I watched him as he went out to the end of a rather large branch as he contemplated making the leap to a neighboring tree about 12 feet away. He went for it. When he grabbed the branch in mid flight the branch bent under his weight and down he went. He bounced off of about 3 branches on his way down. Then THUMP! He sat there stunned for a minute and then went on about his business. I couldn't help but laugh at that one.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:37 AM
Fork Horn

Squirrels are good eating. Just don't shoot hem with a .338. Not much left if you even find anything. Suggest .17 or pellet gun.
Old 10-31-2008, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm with JackFlap,

Armadillos are a lot more deceptive than squirrels. They've had me many times, especially when it's gettingdark,
and they like field edges.

Certainbirdsarebad too. We have palmettos, and deer hit them in a certain way when they walk, and sometimesbirds do a good job of making that sound.

ButI like all of it because it keeps me alert and ready.
Old 10-31-2008, 02:34 PM
Fork Horn

Great thread. Have you ever thought about releasing some feral cats on the property?Two of our neighbors have gotten outdoor cats in the past couple of years and it seems like the squirrel population in our woods has decreased dramatically or at least they do not roam as freely on the ground in the leaves anymore. I've watched other wild cats roam through the woods while bowhunting and I think this has got to have something to do with it. Three years ago, the woods were deafening with squirrels rustling through the leaves. Last year, nada. And I didn't see many early-season this year.