Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Day 1-2 Annual Illinois Hunt. Whopper nanny down. >

Day 1-2 Annual Illinois Hunt. Whopper nanny down.

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Day 1-2 Annual Illinois Hunt. Whopper nanny down.

Old 10-30-2008, 07:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Day 1-2 Annual Illinois Hunt. Whopper nanny down.

Matt that makes you 4 for 4 on nannies and I didn't have to be there for this one. LOL

Congratulations.

Old 10-30-2008, 08:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

Matt that makes you 4 for 4 on nannies and I didn't have to be there for this one. LOL

Congratulations.
I figure 2 more should cure the itch.........and fill the freezer nicely. Heading out to snag a couple more doe tags this AM.
Out here they really have to be just the right one though. [:-] Getting to the end of a sitand obviously nothing with her = fresh backstraps.
We have to pick and choose our battles wisely especially since things should be picking up with the bucks now in the next few weeks.
The "target" does aren't hard to spot though and we have a couple spots where the deer come out of big woodlots a long ways off to the fencerows we're in and you can see what's on the way well in advance of shooting so boogering a buck is not likely.

I want to kill a couple does out here.........but I'm paranoid of doing it at the same time.

Old 10-30-2008, 08:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

Just watch the tarsals Matt, if they are not dark, they are not in estrous and you can nail them without fear of a buck tracking them. If they are dark, watch her backside.

I saw a spike and 3 coyotes this am. You should have got that text.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Rob how dark? Do you have any pictures you can post of the difference?
Old 10-30-2008, 08:15 AM

Congrats on the nanny Matt! You're a doe killin' machine.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: twildasin

Rob how dark? Do you have any pictures you can post of the difference?
Their tarsals will go from white to brown to almost black when in estrous. Once bred they will lick them clean (white/light brown) again.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:21 AM
Dominant Buck

HEy Rob...question...

I've always heard that about the tarsals, too (on the does).....but my question is....Do they HAVE to be dark for a buck to be chasing her? I know she wouldn't be "hot".....but some activity I had the other night (and the other morning, come to think of it) makes me think they might chase them (or follow them) even if they aren't.

I admit to not checking the doe's tarsals (dammit....good point you made....and I should have[:@]).....but I still think we're a ways off. Thanks for that reminder.

Back on topic...

Matt, buddy....that is a world-class nanny. Congratulations. For size comparison...the one you shot, here, was a classic NC mature doe. She's "about" the "standard for these parts (on MATURE does). How does she compare? I'm wondering if the one you shot there would go 160#'s? For education purposes....I'm intrigued.

You're having a great season "so far". I hope you see somethign you like with headgear.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice doe Matt! Looks like she is a big fatty
Old 10-30-2008, 08:46 AM
Typical Buck

mmmmm backstraps... good shot on her matt
Old 10-30-2008, 08:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

HEy Rob...question...

I've always heard that about the tarsals, too (on the does).....but my question is....Do they HAVE to be dark for a buck to be chasing her? I know she wouldn't be "hot".....but some activity I had the other night (and the other morning, come to think of it) makes me think they might chase them (or follow them) even if they aren't.

I admit to not checking the doe's tarsals (dammit....good point you made....and I should have[:@]).....but I still think we're a ways off. Thanks for that reminder.

They will dog does anytime so no, they don't have to be dark however, if she's just walking in, chances are she's not being chased. If she's running, wonder why.

Ben had some dandy's dogging his doe in a cut bean field. They wanted nothing to do with the bucks. We ain't ready here either. I watched a mature doe last evening, first thing I did was glass her tarsals. She was light brown. [&:]

Quick Reply: Day 1-2 Annual Illinois Hunt. Whopper nanny down.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.