HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   lost 2 in 2 days (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/270735-lost-2-2-days.html)

zrexpilot 10-29-2008 09:16 PM

lost 2 in 2 days

I am just disgusted and ready to quit bow hunting.
this makes6 deer and 1 hog in 12 years I have lost
Monday I shot a spike, 20 yds, slight quartering away, muzzy 4 blade, looked like a perfect shot, looked like it took out the opposite shoulder as he was stumbling and falling all over the place, tracked a ways that night but backed out, temps were in the high 30's that night, went back out in the morning 250 yds later ran out of blood, did a grid search, nothing.
This morning 25 yd shot on a nice 8 pointer, complete broadside, looked to be 2 " lower than I would have liked, gave it an hour , got down, found blood on my arrow but the feathers were not soaked in it. About 30 yds into the tracking I find a spot that looked like he died right there, looked like a quart of blood was poured on the ground and a painted trail for 10 more yds, pieces of lung on the ground too. Well we tracked a blood trail for about 250-300 yds after that, lost blood trail, came back to the house to take a break, went back out on last blood, picked up the trail again, went another 150 yds and lost it again, we jumped several properties and I cant keep tresspassing, who knows how far he went. I cant believe the amount of blood I found where he either layed or stood for a while. I just cant believe he went that far.
I have never lost a deer to a rifle in 25 years.
It just seems there is absolutley no margin for error with a bow. but yet I see terrible shots on tv and videos and they find ther deer within a 100 yds.
I am sick and ready to quit bow hunting.
I took a doe earlier this year with what seemed to be a shot that was maybe a tad high, she went maybe 40 yds, if that,and piled up.

StrikeTrue 10-29-2008 09:19 PM

RE: lost 2 in 2 days

Sorry to hear about your luck brother. Only advice i can give you is to look, look and looks some more.

Matt/TN 10-29-2008 09:21 PM

Don't give up and TRY to keep your chin up. I've been fortunate enough, to never have shot one and not found it. (knock on wood)

You're probably about to get flamed right here. Just a warning! lol

Schultzy 10-29-2008 09:23 PM

That's some tough luck there. A person does go thru stretches like this, some are worse, some aren't. Hang In there. All I really can say Is practice, practice! Practice like your In a hunting situation. Draw slow like there's a deer In front of you when practicing. Keep at It and beat this thing, you can do It!:)

The Deer Destroyer 10-29-2008 09:24 PM

If you don't use the rage, I'd suggest to get them. They put a bigger hole, and they are just great. All the deer my dad and I have shot have all died within 60 yards.

rookie51 10-29-2008 09:26 PM

No flaming here, just take a couple days off, gather your thoughts and confidence and get back out there. Trustme it happens to everybody.

buffhntr 10-29-2008 09:31 PM

the only thing I see is maybe you are pushing them try next time as soon as you shoot sit back down and wait till dark walk out to your truck and come back in the morning. also you might try a different broadhead. The rage has a large cut and so does the grim reaper. just my thought. I know that anyone that hunts gun or bow has lost deer just hang in there and be picky on your shot placement remember that you shoot for the exit not the entrance

jmbuckhunter 10-29-2008 09:31 PM

Take a couple days off and just shoot targets. You need to get your confidence back. Confidence plays a big part in this sport. You have to believe in your shot.

Siman08/OH 10-29-2008 09:31 PM

ORIGINAL: The Deer Destroyer

If you don't use the rage, I'd suggest to get them. They put a bigger hole, and they are just great. All the deer my dad and I have shot have all died within 60 yards.
Don't give them too much credit, i shoulder shot a doe with one and had next to no blood trail...im still in the process of looking for her.

as to the OP, keep your head up, im in the same funk as you with my last 2 deer

kodiakhuntmaster 10-29-2008 09:44 PM

You're not alone man, I'm going through the same thing right now. The shots look good, but something just goes wrong.

zrexpilot 10-29-2008 09:52 PM

you know, If I had made a bad shot I could understand, but 2 deer hit in the chest cavity ?

Michbowhunter 10-30-2008 12:39 AM

This may have nothing to do with it, but how long are you waiting before tracking? In any case, it happens, don't give up, just sharpen your archery/hunting skills as much as you can, and hope and pray for the best!

Hey, look on the bright side, you're getting plenty of opportunities.

Hang in there and Good luck!

2 Lunger 10-30-2008 02:02 AM

Keep your head up and head to the practice range. Hope you don't get tore up to much on here for starting this thread!

fullcircle 10-30-2008 04:32 AM

Was the first shot a pass thru?the second must not have been ,if feathers were dry.Take your bow in and get it completely tuned.You don't seem to be getting the most penetration with it.what poundage are you shooting.what's the setup?you shuld have stayed with the buck over as many properties as needed.IMO Good Luck

tsoc 10-30-2008 05:34 AM

I am sorry you are going through what you are.Bowhunting will really test a lot of aspects of your personality.It is always darkest before the dawn! What other analogies can I use to cheer you up? Most all of us have experienced similar things either in hunting or other area's of our lives.If you love it don't give up!
Like others have said give yourself a rest for a bit and than go back at it with new enthusiasm! Best of luck!

PreacherTony 10-30-2008 05:51 AM

Listen .... in reality, it happens more than most will admit on here ..... I almost gave up bowhunting for the exact same reason years ago ... I have passed up soooooo many deer because of it .... my shots have to be close to perfect ... and you know how much that happens ..... I am all about the kill part of the hunt ....but to wound one and not find it is one of the worst feelings I know ....

kwilson16 10-30-2008 05:57 AM

Try to find something to learn from each situation. Keep practicing and get help with tracking. I suspect the guys you refer to on TV are supported by an army of trackers that help to recover their poor hits.

tlutterba 10-30-2008 06:32 AM

ORIGINAL: buffhntr

the only thing I see is maybe you are pushing them try next time as soon as you shoot sit back down and wait till dark walk out to your truck and come back in the morning.
I agree. To me, it sounded like that buck was bedded down and you jumped it looking for him. If you have any doubts with your shot, wait longer, it doesn't hurt. I had that happen to me last year. I shot a tad back on my buck and waited 3 hours. We found him DEAD bedded down. If I was to go after him after I shot, he definately would of gotten up and high tailed it to the next state!!! Just relax man and you will get another shot.

SwampCollie 10-30-2008 06:55 AM

ORIGINAL: buffhntr

the only thing I see is maybe you are pushing them try next time as soon as you shoot sit back down and wait till dark walk out to your truck and come back in the morning.
I think I have heard about as many deer being lost this year as I have heard deer being killed. Thats not on here either.... thats at the shop.

Honestly, I think what a lot of folks are doing is that right there.... they are giving it 30 minutes and starting in on the blood trail. Thats a bit of an exaggerated example (in some cases), but the effect is the same.

Unless I watch a deer crash and burn.... it is a minimum 2-3 hours if I am confident I made a perfect shot. If the shot feels anything less than perfect.... say a lung and the liver.... then its 3-4 hours. And thats a minimum. It is no more dark at 11pm than it is at 8pm... the difference is the deer is dead at 11 and lost from bumping at 8. Deer are funny.... stick one high with a Muzzy and he'll die in 60 yards.... stick another one perfect with a Rage and he'll go 400 yards (example... I've heard both this year). Of course.... bow hunters are funny too.... I'm glad hunters don't lie or exaggerate at all.........

twildasin 10-30-2008 07:03 AM

sorry about your misfortune's! Keep your chin up brother it will get better!;)

zrexpilot 10-30-2008 07:48 AM

ORIGINAL: fullcircle

Was the first shot a pass thru?the second must not have been ,if feathers were dry.Take your bow in and get it completely tuned.You don't seem to be getting the most penetration with it.what poundage are you shooting.what's the setup?you shuld have stayed with the buck over as many properties as needed.IMO Good Luck
The first shot was not a pass through, (spike) slight quartering away, seemed it hit the opposite shoulder, it buried to the fletching, I could see it clearly as he ran off so I know where I hit.
second shot was a pass through, seemed a bit low, nfeathers were not soaked, but way to much blood on the ground, I waited an hour on that shot, but the more I think about, I think I pushed him, because of that huge spot of blood 30-40 yds away, it seemed way to fresh when I got to it, because an hour later when we walked passed it again it had soaked into the ground and looked a lot older.
I think I should have waited 4 hours and I bet he would have been right there.
Bow is a Bear TRX shooting 278 fps. @70 lbs.

gplant 10-30-2008 07:57 AM

HANG IN THERE!!!! It happens to all of us and if it hasnt you havent been hunting long!Like Preacher said same here,I to went through this a long time back and I have got to have a perfect shot to let it fly. Now check out your gear make sure everything is on and your mood is good and get back after'em!!!! GOOD LUCK!!!!!