HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   lost 2 in 2 days (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/270735-lost-2-2-days.html)

zrexpilot 10-29-2008 09:16 PM

lost 2 in 2 days

I am just disgusted and ready to quit bow hunting.
this makes6 deer and 1 hog in 12 years I have lost
Monday I shot a spike, 20 yds, slight quartering away, muzzy 4 blade, looked like a perfect shot, looked like it took out the opposite shoulder as he was stumbling and falling all over the place, tracked a ways that night but backed out, temps were in the high 30's that night, went back out in the morning 250 yds later ran out of blood, did a grid search, nothing.
This morning 25 yd shot on a nice 8 pointer, complete broadside, looked to be 2 " lower than I would have liked, gave it an hour , got down, found blood on my arrow but the feathers were not soaked in it. About 30 yds into the tracking I find a spot that looked like he died right there, looked like a quart of blood was poured on the ground and a painted trail for 10 more yds, pieces of lung on the ground too. Well we tracked a blood trail for about 250-300 yds after that, lost blood trail, came back to the house to take a break, went back out on last blood, picked up the trail again, went another 150 yds and lost it again, we jumped several properties and I cant keep tresspassing, who knows how far he went. I cant believe the amount of blood I found where he either layed or stood for a while. I just cant believe he went that far.
I have never lost a deer to a rifle in 25 years.
It just seems there is absolutley no margin for error with a bow. but yet I see terrible shots on tv and videos and they find ther deer within a 100 yds.
I am sick and ready to quit bow hunting.
I took a doe earlier this year with what seemed to be a shot that was maybe a tad high, she went maybe 40 yds, if that,and piled up.

StrikeTrue 10-29-2008 09:19 PM

RE: lost 2 in 2 days

Sorry to hear about your luck brother. Only advice i can give you is to look, look and looks some more.

Matt/TN 10-29-2008 09:21 PM

Don't give up and TRY to keep your chin up. I've been fortunate enough, to never have shot one and not found it. (knock on wood)

You're probably about to get flamed right here. Just a warning! lol

Schultzy 10-29-2008 09:23 PM

That's some tough luck there. A person does go thru stretches like this, some are worse, some aren't. Hang In there. All I really can say Is practice, practice! Practice like your In a hunting situation. Draw slow like there's a deer In front of you when practicing. Keep at It and beat this thing, you can do It!:)

The Deer Destroyer 10-29-2008 09:24 PM

If you don't use the rage, I'd suggest to get them. They put a bigger hole, and they are just great. All the deer my dad and I have shot have all died within 60 yards.

rookie51 10-29-2008 09:26 PM

No flaming here, just take a couple days off, gather your thoughts and confidence and get back out there. Trustme it happens to everybody.

buffhntr 10-29-2008 09:31 PM

the only thing I see is maybe you are pushing them try next time as soon as you shoot sit back down and wait till dark walk out to your truck and come back in the morning. also you might try a different broadhead. The rage has a large cut and so does the grim reaper. just my thought. I know that anyone that hunts gun or bow has lost deer just hang in there and be picky on your shot placement remember that you shoot for the exit not the entrance

jmbuckhunter 10-29-2008 09:31 PM

Take a couple days off and just shoot targets. You need to get your confidence back. Confidence plays a big part in this sport. You have to believe in your shot.

Siman08/OH 10-29-2008 09:31 PM

ORIGINAL: The Deer Destroyer

If you don't use the rage, I'd suggest to get them. They put a bigger hole, and they are just great. All the deer my dad and I have shot have all died within 60 yards.
Don't give them too much credit, i shoulder shot a doe with one and had next to no blood trail...im still in the process of looking for her.

as to the OP, keep your head up, im in the same funk as you with my last 2 deer

kodiakhuntmaster 10-29-2008 09:44 PM

You're not alone man, I'm going through the same thing right now. The shots look good, but something just goes wrong.