Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Why did he die so quickly? >

Why did he die so quickly?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Why did he die so quickly?

Old 10-30-2008, 05:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Why did he die so quickly?

ORIGINAL: passthru79

There are major arteries the run along the spine
Concur. The liver can also be deadly very quickly depending on what gets cut but I think you hit the arteries along the spine.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

From what I have seen of solid liver hits the deerexpire as quickly as lung hits, just in my experiences...that is not always the case though..
Old 10-30-2008, 07:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

A solid liver hit will kill VERY quickly ..... partial liver can take a long time
Not the case all the time Preacher.

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

Thats one thing about liver hits, you just never know how long they will live for. I shot a doe about 5 years ago dead center through the liver. She was still alive yet the next morning. We finished her off. I've also had liver hits go 100 yards and pile up within 20 seconds or so. Like I said, you just never know with a liver shot.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: M.Magis

A liver shot will not kill a deer that quickly. As mentioned, the aortic artery runs just under the spine, at the top of the body cavity. Just as lethal as any lung shot.
Not true all the time .... there are HUGE arteries running through the liver ... remember, it is a blood filter .....

Now THAT being said, I always wait at least 2 hours on a liver hit...
Old 10-30-2008, 08:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Here is a pic showing the arteries in the liver

Old 10-30-2008, 08:56 AM
Typical Buck

my qeuss would be it was a rage lol!
Old 10-30-2008, 09:02 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks guys, all your input helps.

Tony, I would say the slice is through the area where the s4 is marked on your photos. But I would also say that the arteries running down below the spine, was probably hit also, because the cavity was completely full of blood when I first cut into him.

Thanks again, guys.

Mitch
Old 10-30-2008, 09:06 AM

ORIGINAL: Carpmaster

From what I have seen of solid liver hits the deerexpire as quickly as lung hits, just in my experiences...that is not always the case though..
I have personally been involved in 3 liver hit mature bucks that were alive when found between 7 and 14 hours after the shot. All required follow up shots. All initial hits were center shot livers, verified during field dressing.

On a big deer liver shot, I will always wait at least 8 hours unless I see him go down.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:11 AM

I have taken a deer with a Liver shot....He ducked my string, and turned on me. Arrow went right through the middle of the liver, and he went like 20 yards, and was dead in under 2 minutes........

In my experience anyways, a good liver shot is very deadly.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Whole a solid liver hit can be quickly fatal on a high shot like that where you know you were up near the spine I'd be on hitting that artery. Especially since you heard a lot of crashing. With heart shots and major artery shots there is no blood getting to the brain so the deer run into trees and brush a lot while they are kind of on auto pilot before expiring.

I shot a doe last year and severed the main artery in the back and her spine on a high shot. She fell and bled out in 8 seconds as I watched.

Quick Reply: Why did he die so quickly?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.