HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   stuck a good one What do you think (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/270723-stuck-good-one-what-do-you-think.html)

buffhntr 10-29-2008 08:14 PM

stuck a good one What do you think

I shot a buck about 15 min before dark he isaround 170" for those of you that are going to ask.I could not see the arrow hit. The deer was quarting away hard. I shot and he ran about 50 yards and slowed to a walk his tail was clamped the then walked 50 more yards and fell to his chest. He got back up walked another 20 yards and fell down rolled over twice and thrashed around and got back on his feet. He stood the about 2 min will front legs spread a little wider than normal like he was trying to maintain balance he then walked about 10 yards into the woods. I recovered the arrow and there is a good bit of blood at site of impact and it looked like a good blood trail the arrow was drenched with blood no meat and no gut. I am going to leave him over night I think it is a liver hit. What is everyone elses opinion of the hit?

Schultzy 10-29-2008 08:24 PM

RE: stuck a good one What do you think

Sounds maybe like a single lung or possibly you just nicked both lungs but I think your good to go!! I'd be excited If I was you, good call on waiting till the morning.;)

Could be liver too I guess like you said. Either way It sounds good by what you said.

I wish you the best of luck but I don't think your going to need any!:D That's a hell of a buck!!

kwilson16 10-29-2008 08:26 PM

I don't see how he could possibly have gone much further but I applaud your decision to back out. Concur with liver but I think you really hammered the liver which will result in a quick demise.

He'll be there in the morning.

virginiashadow 10-29-2008 08:28 PM

buff--sounds like the buck I shot last year in regards to his after the shot behavior. Found him no more than 50 yards away because I backed out for 8 hours or so. Best of luck to you on your recovery efforts.

bigfathunter 10-29-2008 08:29 PM

Every time i was suspected of hitting liver i found black chunks on my arrow so idk so you probably got lungs if its clean light blood
and good luck

buffhntr 10-29-2008 08:30 PM

thanks guys I am not going in till daylight I climbed down and left I lost a good buck about 6 years ago because I pushed him that is the worst thing you can do to any new hunters out there take this advice when in doubt back out that is the best thing I could ever tell you other than wear a safety belt when stand hunting.

jmbuckhunter 10-29-2008 08:32 PM

I'd be out there right now taking pictures. From what you havedescribed he is a dead deer.

That being said, he will still be dead in the morning if you are unsure. And the coyotes can't eat the antlers.;)Always better to wait if there is any doubt. I did the same thing last year and found him within 75 yards in the morning. I got 1 lung and liver.

Good luck.

loogout1 10-29-2008 08:32 PM

Go get the flashlights! Or put on a pot o' coffee, since there'll be no sleeping tonite.

buffhntr 10-29-2008 08:37 PM

the coyotes always start at the butt anyway so the backstraps and front shoulders will still be good

Rory/MO 10-29-2008 08:37 PM

Good luck, post pictures when you get him!