Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I need YOUR help!! >

I need YOUR help!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I need YOUR help!!

Old 10-29-2008, 06:30 PM
Fork Horn

Default I need YOUR help!!

Ok, I will try to explain this the best I can. I was in stand this evening (Oct 29). I have been tipping the original can call all night every 20-30 minutes or so. At about 6:20 I heard a deer coming up through the bottom to my left. As it gets closer, I see that it is a real good buck. He is through brush about 25 yds away and heading towards the field behind me. I knew I had to do something quick so I gave a soft grunt. He bolts and trots back down to the bottom where he came from. I then hit the can call again and I hear him walking, but I am not sure if he is coming back my way so I hit it again. The sound of him walking kept getting louder and louder and I knew he was coming my way. I see him and he stops about 10 yds from the tree. I can barely see my sights and I put em on him and touch the release. Smack I hit dirt. It went right under him. He jumps and stops at about 20 yds I nock another arrow but can't shoot. He then walks away. Now my question. What should I do? Should I go out tomorrow evening and hunt him or should I give him some time?
Old 10-29-2008, 06:34 PM

Default RE: I need YOUR help!!

IMO i would go out and try tommorow. The same thing happened to my friend and he came under his stand again the next morning.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Personally? I would probably be back in the same tree. But, IF I could get in a climber and move towards the direction he came from, I would prefer that. Some of my land I can be mobile, some I can't. It depends on your situation. It doesn't sound like he really spooked though.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

i would go back and hunt that set again
Old 10-29-2008, 07:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

How old of a buck Sport?
Old 10-29-2008, 07:31 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

How old of a buck Sport?
Good question. From the looks, I would say right away that he is a 3 1/2 year old, but obviously not the dominant buck in the area because he spooked to the grunt call.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:35 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the advice guys I was thinking the same thing about getting my climber and moving it into the bottom. There is set aside up top where I am certain he came from. Maybe get as close as I can to the set aside? And what do you guys think about a doe decoy?
Old 10-29-2008, 07:36 PM

All he knows is "something" happened. You know how many times "something" just happens to a deer? I'd say he soon forgot about it and that you should go back. Good luck!
Old 10-29-2008, 07:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Sport4

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

How old of a buck Sport?
Good question. From the looks, I would say right away that he is a 3 1/2 year old, but obviously not the dominant buck in the area because he spooked to the grunt call.
If It was earlier In the season and being he's a 3.5 year old buck I'd say give him a little time but It's getting damn close to the rut and these bucks all have one thing on there mind, _______! There heads aren't on straight right now, use It to your advantage.

Good luck!!
Old 10-29-2008, 07:48 PM
Fork Horn

Your exactly right Steve! It is getting real close to that time. What do you think about a doe decoy? Or should I mess with it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.