HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Do you shoot big does or little does for meat? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/270649-do-you-shoot-big-does-little-does-meat.html)

ABarOfSoap 10-29-2008 01:51 PM

Do you shoot big does or little does for meat?

Ive always been taught if your going to shoot a doe to eat, never shoot one over 1.5 years old, its alotless meat but it does not taste as good asa younger one.
Anyone else do this?

gplant 10-29-2008 01:52 PM

RE: Do you shoot big does or little does for meat?

I like the 1.5 Myself. I was told it is better to shot the younger ones a leave the older Does in the herd as they are the teachers. Its not suppost to affect the herd dynamics as bad as taking the older ones.

bcvd45 10-29-2008 01:52 PM

It may not taste the same but it will be close enough for me. If you cook it right you will never tell a difference IMO. But I may just have a really bad pallet.

TreednNC 10-29-2008 01:53 PM

never found a difference except the bigger ones are a better deal lol

ABarOfSoap 10-29-2008 01:54 PM

The people i hunt with forbid me to shoot older does, they sware the taste is a big difference lol:D

burniegoeasily 10-29-2008 01:56 PM

I will shot any decent sized doe. I do not care about age, just size. This year I shot a big old doe and a big young doe. Both were the same size. The older doe was around 4 years, at my best estimation of teeth. The young doe was about 1.5 years old.

I butcher my own meat, so I see no difference in the taste. I age them the same, and clean the meat real well before I freeze it.

gmil6184 10-29-2008 02:01 PM

I usually shoot younger does. They eat a little better then a big old doe. Also, as someone mentioned, an older doe is proven. She has raised fawns, avoided predators, and made it through winters already and will be better suited to teach that to her fawns...or at least that the theory. Usually when it comes to does I take the first good shot that I get to put one in the freezer.

txjourneyman 10-29-2008 02:02 PM

If a doe doesn't have spots I'll shoot.

kickin_buck 10-29-2008 02:05 PM

ORIGINAL: txjourneyman

If a doe doesn't have spots I'll shoot.
AMEN!!!!!! I have never seen a doe that I did not want to kill!

twildasin 10-29-2008 03:35 PM

I will shoot what I want for meat age or size does not matter! It all taste the same to me!