Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What qualifies a shooter buck?? in your opinion >

What qualifies a shooter buck?? in your opinion

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What qualifies a shooter buck?? in your opinion

Old 10-29-2008, 01:06 PM
Fork Horn

Default What qualifies a shooter buck?? in your opinion

What is your number one criteria for considering a buck a shooter?

I know some will say all of the above or more than one, but I've been reading the post on shooting small bucks and what tops your list?
Old 10-29-2008, 01:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What qualifies a shooter buck?? in your opinion

None of the above, if my heart pounds out of my chest when he gets in range, I shoot him. If I have to talk myself into shooting him, I let him go.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:58 PM
Typical Buck

I look for a nice rack...130+ inches or so.

Old 10-29-2008, 02:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Kind of a biased poll as people who are selective are shown in separate categories than those who just want any sort of boney lump on it's head.
Right now 8 of 13 are selective hunters.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

2 points on 1 side(club rules) and i blast him[8D]
Old 10-29-2008, 02:26 PM

For me it depends where I am hunting. When I know a certain property has some quality animals, I hold higher standards...If I am unsure of what is there, or if I know the quality is not the same, I adjust my expectations, and will take a smaller size animal.

Typically I like to take at least a 2.5yr old, ideally a 3.5yr+ and at least an 8pntr. I don't care about scoring.....
Old 10-29-2008, 02:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Everything but "just having antlers".
Old 10-29-2008, 02:34 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: DeerandbearhoG

None of the above, if my heart pounds out of my chest when he gets in range, I shoot him. If I have to talk myself into shooting him, I let him go.
^^^I'd have to vote in thiscatagory as well. If you have to look him over and decide if he's big enough, he usually isn't big enough. Butifthe moment you firstsee him coming and you nearly choke on your heart, he's a keeper.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

hard for me to say....

id say a mix of antler size and age....im looking for my 2nd bowkill...my first was a 60 something inch 1.5yo last year....

this year, i passed a 2.5 yo early in the season....he would been a trophy to me, age wise...and his half rack was bigger than any of my 3 1.5yo racks(2 rifle kill racks) but i passed him, for now, because he was a half rack...both sides, no question i would released...early season, half rack, i decided to hold off....though i may still take him...and age wise hed be a trophy to ME. just because i dont see a whole ton of bucks over 1.5yo...so it would be an accomplishment and a trophy to me right now...couple years and more deer under my belt, i might not even pick up my bow on a 2.5yo...

this year i may take a 1.5yo if hes a fair bit nicer than mine from last year...but thats going to take a really decint 1.5yo(mine was a 2x4, or 5 if you count the 1" sticker and about 10" wide..not a tiny racked 1.5yo..) but if i do, it will likely be the end of the wire and its kill a nice 1.5yo with the bow or hunt in rifle season, which i rather not do...
Old 10-29-2008, 02:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd say a mixture of age and anlter size. Trying to take deer that are 3.5 years of age and older is the unofficial goal of our hunt club. We don't take young bucks, but if a very nice 2.5 year old 10 came out it'd be very hard to resist

Quick Reply: What qualifies a shooter buck?? in your opinion

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.