Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Saw my best buck of the season. >

Saw my best buck of the season.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Saw my best buck of the season.

Old 10-29-2008, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Saw my best buck of the season.

Unfortunately I was not in a stand at the time.I was looking out my dining room window after my wife yell's to me there is a big buck out by the fence.
I hate having to go to work in the morning this time of year!This buck went in to the neighbors yard (weekenders,they were not there).Their yard and ours borders a pretty big piece of woods.Shortly the buck is joined by 3 other bucks.They are all pestering a small doe.It took all the restraint I could muster not to head in the direction on the mountain that they were going!
The larger buck was 16 or 17 inches wide,8 pointer.I believe that he was 3.5 or a very good 2.5 year old for our area.His body still seemed a little slender.
If I can't hunt a particular day I am going to have to stop looking out the windows!!
Old 10-29-2008, 11:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Saw my best buck of the season.

Scot,

I hope you get a crack at the big boy. Best of luck!
Old 10-29-2008, 11:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Frustrating stuff there Scot!! About 5 years ago the same thing happened to me but In a different way. I was driving my milk truck down the road that goes by my land. I had to stop the truck being a doe crossed In front of me and one of the biggest bucks I've ever seen (160" class) was about 30 yards behind her with his nose to the ground. He trotted 15' In front of my milk truck across the road and he didn't have the slightest care In the world about me In a huge 6 axle straight job truck. I had 2 cars behind me also that stopped being they were behind me. It was frustrating big time as he was going Into my land coming from the river bottom across the road and there was nothing I could do about It (The cows don't quit milking because a big buck Is going onto my land).[:@]
Old 10-29-2008, 12:12 PM
Typical Buck

Yep, I hate it when work gets in the way of hunting.

At least you know he is out there and you have something to target, if you so desire.

Good luck.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know that frustration. This past weekend was a huge flop for me. Between Saturday and Sunday I was only able to see 5 does and 1 turkey, none of which was in range. The temps has started to rise, which I believe is what slowed the hunting down for me. I wake up Monday morning to frost on the ground and I drive to work, every field if full of deer. I need to win the lottery so I do not have to worry about work any more!
Old 10-29-2008, 03:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

The funny thing is that I own my own business and you would think that 26 years into my profession I would be able to get out more.In the past I have hunted weekends and one or two afternoons during the week.It wasn't easy to keep up with business and family obligations but I managed.This year my daughter is playing field hockey,so I have been leaving early one or two afternoons a week to watch her play.So I can't do both and supporting her is a much higher priority.
When I walk out to the truck in the morning and feel the chill in the air and smell the woods it really makes me wish that I was in the woods.Couple that with them dancing in the yard and it is almost more than I can handle!
Two weeks from today I will be in Idaho for ten days of uninterrupted whitetail hunting,needless to say I can't wait!