Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 The Boss decoy saw Action last evening. >

The Boss decoy saw Action last evening.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The Boss decoy saw Action last evening.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default The Boss decoy saw Action last evening.

I have video that I will try to get up tonight, of course I'm hoping to have more tonight...lol

I set the Boss out and was settled in the tree at 5:00 after work. At around 6:00 a lone BB came tearing down the field kicking and playing. He ran right past Boss. Moments later he reappeared and I contact called to him which made him kick up an run right in to find me. He spotted the Boss and walked to within 15 yards of him and me and just stared at him. He didn't run, he was not scared like most of you thought they would be.

The BB just turned then and walked under my tree and hung out.

While I was calling to the BB, I noticed a spike buck about 75 yards out. He turned and came to the call as well and as the BB walked away, the spike came to the same spot and stared at the Boss. He stood in one spot looking at the Boss for eternity but did not spook as well. He just tried to wind him. The button came back out and joined him and they both stared.

They walked away unalarmed.

I was packing up when I turned to see a movement, standing 10 yards in front of the Boss was the 6 pt from the "great debate" video. I glassed him to be sure and I saw his scar on his front shoulder but the "assumed" holes were gone so MOTOWN was right, they were nothing more than tufts of hair. [&:] Anyway, he stood nose to nose with the Boss and just eventually walked away. I say that's been some great success with my first deer to come to the decoy. They all offered shots so from now til my season close (actually til I head to IL next Sat.) I think I'll continue to stand Boss up.

I'll try for some video upload tonight. IT was too dark for the 6 but I have the button and spike on video.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:20 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: The Boss decoy saw Action last evening.

Great stuff Rob!

I'm sure you've said this on many of posts, but whereabouts in IL are you heading next Saturday?
Old 10-29-2008, 08:25 AM
Dominant Buck

I'm glad you saw the buck again and he was alright. My guess was if those were wounds....you wouldn't have seen him again.

He didn't run, he was not scared like most of you thought they would be.
Fear is a learned behavior. You think (the BB and the spike)they'll change their tunes about being scared after they've had their ass kicked a time or two?

I'm gonna follow your pursuits with this thing, intently. I may want to try one next year....and you bought the best looking one I've seen. I'll be interested in seeing what some older (2.5's) bucks do....."if" you see them before they see him.

Good luck. Hoping it works out.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I used a buck decoy for the first time last year (only saw a buck with it once) and it was a bunch of fun. It was just a little 8 point for me, but truly enjoyable to watch him interact with the decoy. I will be deploying the old boy this weekend myself

Good luck Rob!
Old 10-29-2008, 10:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well see how the season progresses with this deke.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:48 AM
Typical Buck

Are you going to try and incorporate a doe in the setting ? I always wondered how that would work, especially with you headed to IL and things will be getting hotter as the next 3 weeks come in.

just curious..
Old 10-29-2008, 12:19 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the update Rob - I absolutely loved the bossbut J thought that the movement with scarface would be more advantageous, so we got him.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:29 PM

I have been out twice with my Boss this year and had does blow at it constantly. Not allwere down wind and some were hundreds of yards away. I have never had them react to him like that. Last year I had numerous bucks come into the decoy and does never seemd to mind it. I don't know if they just aren't quite ready yet or what it is. If it weren't for those dang does I think I would be having better success with it. I am taking him out again tonight to try a different farm with him.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

I don't have a doe decoy unless I lay out my bedded Feather Flex, that might be a possibility.

I haven't had a doe look at him. I've only sat him out 3 times and these bucks where the first to have a look at him. I'll see tonight and I'll try to get the video up as well. I'll make another post.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rob, how are you setting up the deke? I've never used one for deer, do you face it towards the stand so the deer will circle downwind to face him? Face it away? Broadside? I finally saw the Boss set up at our archery shop. He's a horse LOL.

Quick Reply: The Boss decoy saw Action last evening.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.