Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 how long did it take >

how long did it take

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

how long did it take

Old 10-29-2008, 03:53 AM
Bartender

Default RE: how long did it take

5 years
Old 10-29-2008, 04:46 AM
Typical Buck

In 9 years of bow hunting, I've gotten 2 does and athree point buck from last year. For one reason or another, I missed many bucks over the passed seasons. As long as you are enjoy it, keep practicing and tweaking you set up and you will score. The best thing I have done is get very comfortable with my bow.When that moment is right, you don't even think about form. It becomes so automatic. Good Luck...btw...nothing yet this year and I have only 2 weeks leftfor bow!
Old 10-29-2008, 05:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

It took me 6 years with a gun and 3 days with a bow....[&:]
Old 10-29-2008, 05:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

took me 2 years before my first deer. 3 years to get one with a bow.
this year aint looking too great...i got ZERO under my belt.

Just hang in there....you will get your deer
Old 10-29-2008, 05:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have got a deer every year, 3 years in a row now. My first was a big nanny. It wasn't till my second year I got a small 5 point. This year was a 7 point. I am trying to go with the attitude of a bigger deer every year, and so far so good. GL, hang in there you will get one.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

The second year for me,probably the most excited I have ever been after a kill.8 pointer at 37 yards,a memory I will never forget.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

rifle i killed my first the last day of our 2 week season my first year...

bow, i killed my 2nd season...

flintlock? i lost track...but got my first kill last year(deer kill atleast) its been 5-6 years hunting with that thing...i was beginning to think it was cursed...just never happend right...admittedly missed a pile with it because i keep picking my head up...took a while to realize that....id come home every day and shoot a can at ranges FARTHER than i missed deer and nail it pretty much every time. i couldnt figure it out till i felt myself lifting my head....trying to beat the smoke cloud and watch the deer i guess...

dont worry about killing a deer...it will come. if you worry about it and try to make it happen, its gunna be a long frustrating ride....sit back and enjoy it...when it happens it happens....believe me, the time adding upto it makes it all the more sweeter...took me 5 years to kill a dang turkey....boy that was an awesome feeling carrying that longbeard home....
Old 10-29-2008, 07:20 AM

There's a guy on this forum who took over 20 years!! He posted his story not too long ago.

It took me about 4 years. Longer for my first turkey....that took about 6 years. I owned a bow before I owned a shotgun. I hunted both game with bow only for the first three years. The 4th year I shot my first deer (a doe) with my bow. The following year I got a shotgun. Took me another year before I managed to get a turkey. I don't know what the heck I was doing wrong with turkeys but those buggers really gave me a hard time.

Like the others said: once the first one is under your belt, it seems to get a little easier. A lot like the first time you....well...you know! hehe!
Old 10-29-2008, 07:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

It was my 5th time out on my first season. I shot a 1 1/2 year 7 point. Since then I have been harvesting anywhere between 5 and seven a year.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:49 AM
Typical Buck

I got my first deer with a shot gun my first morning out. My first deer with a bow was the next season, about the third or fourth time out. My first buck was with a shot gun, which was my fourth year of hunting. My first buck with a bow was sixth year out.

Quick Reply: how long did it take

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.