Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 No More Small Bucks! >

No More Small Bucks!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

No More Small Bucks!

Old 10-28-2008, 06:13 PM

Default RE: No More Small Bucks!

Nice post drockw. I agree with what you were saying along with Dopler to an extent. Do I think everyone should practice QDM? Well sure thats what I believe. However, people are going to shoot small bucks, it's the way it is. And as some have posted there are legit reasons for shooting a small buck. It is hard for me not to be biased because I hunt in WI and don't hunt out east where the deer just are not as big. It is hard to let a 120" deer pass when you know it might be one of the biggest deer you see. I myself shot my first buck with a bow 3 years ago and held out for a bigger one after that. I got my first one and felt it's now time to practice QDM with my "hunting camp." However, you should not criticize others for taking small bucks. They have that privilege to shoot whatever they want, but I would rather let the small ones grow.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:19 PM
Fork Horn

i understand him about the points but i honestly dont want to see monsters every where because then you have nothing to hunt all you will do is sit and shoot. I hunting and sitting all season.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:20 PM
Fork Horn

and it wont get exciting when you do see a monster after thats all you see itll be like seeing does all the time
Old 10-28-2008, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

it doesnt matter how big the buck. every buck is a trophy to someone. if they want to shoot a small buck then by all means they can. so quit worrying about other peoples deer
Old 10-28-2008, 06:36 PM
Fork Horn

ya i killed my first buck and first deer with a bow and it was a spike i was so pumped
Old 10-28-2008, 06:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Dopler

This is my annual rant to encourage game management. I see posts on here saying stuff like"Be Proud of What You Shoot" and then I see pictures of 30 to 40 year old men posing with 6 point bucks, jees, enough already! I'd like to outline an argument for game management on this thread.
[/align]
[/align]I think the mentality of "Igot my buck this year" isprimitive stereotypical thinking that has no place in modern hunting. Why do you need another 6point skull cap to nail up on yourout buildingfor? Do you really think they impress anyone?I have no problem with meat hunting so if you're doing that, shoot a doe for goodness sake, that's what I do.
[/align]
[/align]I qualify my argument with a few exceptions. Ihave no problem with a young hunter or a beginner taking asmall buck, I applaude it and encourage it but after a guy has shot a few, I think it's time to raise up your goals?I also have no problem with a special needs hunter taking a small buck as for them, it can be really hard to harvest any buck soI applaude that too.
[/align]
[/align]A whitetaildeer reaches an averagescore of 130" inches of horn at 3.5 years of age. All you have to do is lay off the little guys for a couple of years and the bucks will grow. If everyoneadopted this mentally, we'd all be seeing monster bucks everywhere, it'sjust that simple.Shooting a small buck is likepicking apples before they're ripe, likecutting field corn when it's still green--let em grow!
[/align]
[/align]We all know it's pretty darn easy to shoot a little 1.5 year old buck. Half the time, I can shoot one walking outto my stand because they are such easy prey. It's not until 3.5 years old that they even start to get wits about them and with modern archery equipment it makes it a practical cakewalkso let em live and put a mature buck in your pickup bed this year.
[/align]
[/align]

Old 10-28-2008, 06:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bawanajim

ORIGINAL: fingerz42

Why is this guy getting chastised because he believes you should let young bucks walk? Wouldnt it be nice if every hunter would let the spikes and basket rack 4 points walk? I mean if you're just hunting meat, kill a doe. Why continually shoot young immature bucks just for the sake of saying "i got mine"

This is exactly the problem in my area, everyone just wants to kill one so they can say well I killed one. Why doesnt anyone ever want to demonstrate some Quality deer management...?
Just maybe you two should buy some land and manage it as you see fit.
And maybe you should learn how to be open to others opinions. Whether you like it or not everyone is entitled to their own, deal with it.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:45 PM

Not sure if anyone has figured it out or not(I've learned to ignore his superior ramblings), but the initial poster, dopler, goes by harvey261 on other boards and believe he was banned from this one at one point as well. He was banned/suspended from another board a few months ago and I had thought given up.

As far as his ego and total lack of respect for anyone shooting anything but trophy bucks, I've only seen a few of his deer, if they are legitimately his. Hard telling. You can see what he claims as his here: http://www.siloutdoors.com/vbimghost.php?do=viewimages&id=794

And if you would like to, you can even rate his body here. http://www.ratemybody.com/profile_498978_harvey261.html

The guy is a real piece of work.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:52 PM
Fork Horn

oh **** i screwed up now dopler is going to be mad at me!!!! i thought it was a doe!!!!!!!

Old 10-28-2008, 06:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

You kill what you want and I'll kill what I want. It's just that simple.

Quick Reply: No More Small Bucks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.