Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 No More Small Bucks! >

No More Small Bucks!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

No More Small Bucks!

Old 10-28-2008, 04:09 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: No More Small Bucks!

No, I figured it would get this response, this is my opinion and I stand by it. I was not stirring the pot, this is how I really feel. I just don't get it is all?If I hearanarguments to the contrary I'd respect thatbut I got what I figured, mostly unimaginativeone liners frompeople who I wouldventure are not very smart justthrowing insults.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

That would only make sense to me...
Old 10-28-2008, 04:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ryan,
I know lots of people ( with more years in the woods than me)in IL that shoot the first buck they see every year. They have for years and no amount of QDM cheerleading/brainwashing will change their minds. We still have big bucks here. I don't see it as hurting the herd, I see it as less hunters screwing up my season. They are usually tagged out by the 1st week.
Dave,
I think my intent may have been unclear. Brent didn't get it either. I know you can still have big bucks even with "brown & downers". I was just guessing that in a state known for producing big bucks and having that potential, people would be more likely to wait for a nicer buck, than in places where come across a big buck is less likely therefore more people would think it pointless to even try. Does that make sense? I was just figuring the number of guys you have like that, is way less than the number we have here.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

How 'bout you shoot what you want, and I'll shoot what I want.
Let's see some of the giants you're laying down also. If you have the balls to come on here and make a post like this, I'm SURE you have a wall full of world class bucks.

Old 10-28-2008, 04:18 PM
Fork Horn

haha I'm not rel smart i jus tac care of pepull in an intensive cur unit for a livin. What were you looking for? A response of people who hunt for small bucks? I figured someone with your obvious advanced thought process would assume that you would really get a group of hunters fired up because you made a post calling out people who shoot small bucks. Now no one is going to make a point on chronically wanting to shoot immature bucks. EVERYONE wants to shoot a monster, no one will argue. Its like posting that the sun will come up tomorrow and expect a group of logical responses. You wont get it. Now calling out people for being 30-40 and shooting a 6 point, and saying it doesn't impress anyone.Making that kind of post really only shows people your character. It sounds like you hunt to impress people, to look good and be admired. Really I don't hunt to impress anyone but my father and brother. I'm not really sure what kind of response you want, but I think you made a arrogant small minded post, to look good.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:33 PM
Fork Horn

Nope Brent, wrong again. I don't brag about what I shoot. Ienjoy the challenge of shooting bigger bucks is all, 140" or bigger, that's just the goal I've set for myself. An no, I have not got a buck yet thisyear. I enjoy the meat too and I'm doing a better service by shooting a doe and helping to equalize the buck doe ratio to boot.I just figure it's a shame to shoot a six pointer when I can shoot a doe and I get the same meat. Is it that hard of a concept to grasp that by letting the little bucks live, they grow up bigger the following year and it helps the herd too. Sounds like awin win to me? Please explain to me the mentaility of shooting a little buck when you've already got ten under your belt, why not shoot a doe, I really would like a good explanation? No one has come up with one so far?

Old 10-28-2008, 04:35 PM

Dopler, you can't say something like that then expect not to get some grief for it.. I shoot what i think is good for me, but I also hold off on lots of deer...I shoot does and good bucks, and even some younger bucks, but it is all relative to where I hunt... certain places i will pass up any buck that is under say 120" in other places if i have not killed a deer, it's all game, those places are under development at the moment, so management is out of the question... I personally would rather shoot a doe than a young buck, and I strive for it most of the time... but I bowhunt to get the rush and the experience, and if that means killing a young buck after a tough season then i will do it....Im not a trophy hunter, Im an opprotunist when it comes to those types of bucks....I won't shoot the first deer through if i know there is a big buck around, but I also won't go without killing a deer for a season on the count of being a trophy hunter... I do this first for the enjoyment, second for the prize.... and when a season is going tough, the enjoyment of shooting any deer takes priority over shooting a big buck.... that's just me though, nothing wrong with the opposite!
Old 10-28-2008, 04:35 PM
Fork Horn

Did you not read when I said NOONE will argue with you. Just dont make the post in such a DB fashion
Old 10-28-2008, 04:37 PM
Fork Horn

its not all about the horns
Old 10-28-2008, 04:39 PM
Typical Buck

This is my annual rant to encourage game management.

Must be your first annual since you have not been a member for a year.

I qualify my argument

I doesn't appear that your qualified for anything except for an ignorant post!

A whitetaildeer reaches an averagescore of 130" inches of horn at 3.5 years of age.

Any research to back this statement?

Shooting a small buck is likepicking apples before they're ripe, likecutting field corn when it's still green--let em grow!

You are incorrect! This would be like shooting a buck in velvet, or before the antlers were done growing for that year.

Your qdm mentality is great for YOU and YOUR property, but not everyone can do this. I hunt on about 8 acres of woods, many times there may not be any deer there at all! I understand that Illinois has some great bucks, but in my neck of the woods, if I see a 130 class buck, its probably 13.5, not 3.5yrs. If nobody shot small bucks on occasion, the deer population would probably explode.

Quick Reply: No More Small Bucks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.