Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 No More Small Bucks! >

No More Small Bucks!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

No More Small Bucks!

Old 10-28-2008, 03:14 PM
Fork Horn

Default No More Small Bucks!

This is my annual rant to encourage game management. I see posts on here saying stuff like"Be Proud of What You Shoot" and then I see pictures of 30 to 40 year old men posing with 6 point bucks, jees, enough already! I'd like to outline an argument for game management on this thread.[/align][/align]I think the mentality of "Igot my buck this year" isprimitive stereotypical thinking that has no place in modern hunting. Why do you need another 6point skull cap to nail up on yourout buildingfor? Do you really think they impress anyone?I have no problem with meat hunting so if you're doing that, shoot a doe for goodness sake, that's what I do.[/align][/align]I qualify my argument with a few exceptions. Ihave no problem with a young hunter or a beginner taking asmall buck, I applaude it and encourage it but after a guy has shot a few, I think it's time to raise up your goals?I also have no problem with a special needs hunter taking a small buck as for them, it can be really hard to harvest any buck soI applaude that too. [/align][/align]A whitetaildeer reaches an averagescore of 130" inches of horn at 3.5 years of age. All you have to do is lay off the little guys for a couple of years and the bucks will grow. If everyoneadopted this mentally, we'd all be seeing monster bucks everywhere, it'sjust that simple.Shooting a small buck is likepicking apples before they're ripe, likecutting field corn when it's still green--let em grow! [/align][/align]We all know it's pretty darn easy to shoot a little 1.5 year old buck. Half the time, I can shoot one walking outto my stand because they are such easy prey. It's not until 3.5 years old that they even start to get wits about them and with modern archery equipment it makes it a practical cakewalkso let em live and put a mature buck in your pickup bed this year.[/align] [/align]
Old 10-28-2008, 03:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: No More Small Bucks!

ORIGINAL: Dopler
Shooting a small buck is likepicking apples before they're ripe,

[/align]
I don't care much for ripe apples, but I absolutely love green apples... Does that mean I'm allowed to drop a basket rack 6 pointer?
Old 10-28-2008, 03:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Why do you care what other people shoot? Does it have any effect on you? Especially what the people on this board shoot?
Old 10-28-2008, 03:24 PM
Fork Horn

what makes it better to shoot older deer then younger deer we are supose to keep the Deer numbers at the right level so if it is legal to shoot then you can go I dont care what you or anyone else thinks dont cry about what someone else shoots
Fork Horn

Well stated. I agree with you, but also know that there are some areas where that small buck is an achevement and others where certain small racked bucks need to be taken for management reasons. Here in Texas, many counties have an antler restriction making one buck counties into two buck counties, but one must have at least one unbranched antler and the other must have at least a 13" inside spread. I agree with management plans and trying to get the best genetics and herds possible, but also remember that there are many different kinds of management plans and I'm not going to tell a successful hunter that they shouldn't have harvested a particular deer on thier property/lease. I wouldn't want someone telling me that either.
Fork Horn

idiot IMO
Old 10-28-2008, 03:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm saying 15 pages. maybe 20 depending on who really wants to get in on the debate.

A lot of you guys jump on him, but he's got very valid points. Kids, new guys, etc shoot what you want, but there is a HUGE segment of the population that wants to blast anything that walks by, just to say "got my buck". Or "if I don't shoot em, someone else will".
This mentality breeds more and more people likely to lower thier standards and keep shooting small/young bucks because the chances of seeing a big one just aren't realistic.

HOWEVER, as its been seen time and again, if you let bucks grow up, people see more nice ones running around and feel they have a chance, and there for might pass on a young buck in hopes of getting a nice one. So they cycle can perpetuate itself that way.

I'd like to do a study and see how many guys in IA, IL, MO who've hunted more than 20 years shoot the 1st 1.5 old buck they see, compared to the same demographic in PA, WV or NY?
Old 10-28-2008, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Dopler

[/align]A whitetaildeer reaches an averagescore of 130" inches of horn at 3.5 years of age. All you have to do is lay off the little guys for a couple of years and the bucks will grow. If everyoneadopted this mentally, we'd all be seeing monster bucks everywhere, it'sjust that simple.
[/align]

LOL, that has got to be one of the most moronic statements I've ever heard. Come to my area and wait for a 130" buck...you'll be waiting a LONNNNGGGG time, possibly your whole life.Maybe where you are they avg that, but lots of other places that is a trophy of a lifetime and VERY rare.
Old 10-28-2008, 03:28 PM
Fork Horn

lol agree. You mean that if a deer is 3.5 it will be atleast 130inches?? Damnit...Ive wasted so much time scouting...Im not hunting for2 more years!! YES here we come big bucks!!!
Old 10-28-2008, 03:30 PM

What a friggin' idiot........................

Quick Reply: No More Small Bucks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.