Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 No More Small Bucks! >

No More Small Bucks!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

No More Small Bucks!

Old 10-29-2008, 10:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: No More Small Bucks!

ORIGINAL: Dopler

Well, I read some of these posts, 18 pages overnight, pretty good response. Most of the responses were one liners from people who are part of the problem so I won't even dignify them with direct responses. Thiswill be my last post/visitto this thread as I'm going to have the last word here.Several of you had great responses. I guessthe X-factor that I did not consider is that some people are willing to go through life without succeedingso why should I expect that these type of people to raise the bar and their goals, to all of you, just go right on shooting the first spike buck you see.To those of you who agreed with me, congratulations, you get it, you're in the top 5% and you're a credit to the very fabric of game management. You're the type of people who are stewards of the land and will ensure that generations to come have quality managed game areas. By passing on samll bucks, you're helping the herd grow by ensuring that the best genetics advance as nature intended.
[/align]
[/align]There was a guy on there who said I've been kicked off other sites, wrong, this is the only one I've ever belonged to. He even gave my assumed name? How did you conjure this up? Anyway, read back through the responses and figure out who was more civil, meor theposts against mine?
[/align]
[/align]One guyleft a post on here sayingthat hedoes not want trophy bucks around in plentiful numbersbecause hunting them would be no fun because there would be too many. How cana guyargue withmentality like this?
[/align]
[/align]A few guys left comments saying that shooting does is worst than shooting bucks because doesgive birth to bucks. Before typing such nonsense, please at least take the time to google the concept of QDM and read thewritings of wildlife biologistsfor yourself onhow it improves the deer heard and also reduces crop damage.Uninformed people just make things up and write them, I don't get it?
[/align]
[/align]Derek, Guilty as charged, I am an arrogant SOB, what can I say,I'll always be that way I guess?
[/align]
[/align]I don't have the patience to *****foot around on issues. When I see a guy driving his fork horn around on his truck for three days in warm weather until the meat goes rancid whilestopping at bar to bar to brag aboutit makes my blood boil. Why wouldn't he do that with a doe? But, he won't because it's a BUCK as smallas it may be. This is the type of thing that we've all seen. This type of activityisan extreme example/mentality of whatmost people are defending here.
[/align]
[/align]The base argument for QDMis such a sound one that sometimes I can't believe that more people don't realize it--just because you shoot a small buck does not make you more of a manso why not just shoot a doe for meat? If you wait, you will harvest bigger bucks period! That's the base problem and it's ingrained in peopleand they can't change.I proudly announce my opinion and I really don't care who it bothers as it's fact.I won't ever let someone whoshoots little buckshunt on my land. There have been several good posts in response to this thread, yours being one of them Derek; however, 85% of the posts have been frompeoplewho will just never get itno matter how the argument is drafted and I only say that after reading through some of what was posted based on their merit (or lack thereof). Good luck to you too Derek, I can see you'rea man of reason even though you disagree with my methodology. Heck, I disagree withit myself from time to time.
[/align]
[/align]To all of the people who asked to see my deer over and over again, well, it does not really matter. I didn't come on here to brag, I came on to talk about factual proven game management which most of you dismissed because you're just misinformed. If you must know, I've taken 9 pope and young deer. I have not taken a buck in three years, I've taken 6 does in the last three years. If youinsist on seeing some of my deer, I have a camospace page, Englishbowhunter is my account name, go on there and friend request me and I'll answer you on Monday after I get back from my hunting trip and you'll be able to see some of my deer.
[/align]
[/align]Any of us hunters who own land or haveleases don't want guysthat shoot little bucks next to us. That'sjust a fact so deal with it I guess?
[/align]
[/align]Oh, I must say that I laughed at the guy who took a picture of his own ass and then put a hat andlips on it, it was creative at least butyou might want to think about laying off the cheese burgers for a while.
[/align]
[/align]If just one of you decide to raise up your goals this year and take the challenge then this post was worth while. Let the little1.5 year old bucksthathave nosurvival sensego and let them grow!
[/align][/align]

What an ass.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

ORIGINAL: Dopler

Well, I read some of these posts, 18 pages overnight, pretty good response. Most of the responses were one liners from people who are part of the problem so I won't even dignify them with direct responses. Thiswill be my last post/visitto this thread as I'm going to have the last word here.Several of you had great responses. I guessthe X-factor that I did not consider is that some people are willing to go through life without succeedingso why should I expect that these type of people to raise the bar and their goals, to all of you, just go right on shooting the first spike buck you see.To those of you who agreed with me, congratulations, you get it, you're in the top 5% and you're a credit to the very fabric of game management. You're the type of people who are stewards of the land and will ensure that generations to come have quality managed game areas. By passing on samll bucks, you're helping the herd grow by ensuring that the best genetics advance as nature intended.

[/align]

[/align]There was a guy on there who said I've been kicked off other sites, wrong, this is the only one I've ever belonged to. He even gave my assumed name? How did you conjure this up? Anyway, read back through the responses and figure out who was more civil, meor theposts against mine?

[/align]

[/align]One guyleft a post on here sayingthat hedoes not want trophy bucks around in plentiful numbersbecause hunting them would be no fun because there would be too many. How cana guyargue withmentality like this?

[/align]

[/align]A few guys left comments saying that shooting does is worst than shooting bucks because doesgive birth to bucks. Before typing such nonsense, please at least take the time to google the concept of QDM and read thewritings of wildlife biologistsfor yourself onhow it improves the deer heard and also reduces crop damage.Uninformed people just make things up and write them, I don't get it?

[/align]

[/align]Derek, Guilty as charged, I am an arrogant SOB, what can I say,I'll always be that way I guess?

[/align]

[/align]I don't have the patience to *****foot around on issues. When I see a guy driving his fork horn around on his truck for three days in warm weather until the meat goes rancid whilestopping at bar to bar to brag aboutit makes my blood boil. Why wouldn't he do that with a doe? But, he won't because it's a BUCK as smallas it may be. This is the type of thing that we've all seen. This type of activityisan extreme example/mentality of whatmost people are defending here.

[/align]

[/align]The base argument for QDMis such a sound one that sometimes I can't believe that more people don't realize it--just because you shoot a small buck does not make you more of a manso why not just shoot a doe for meat? If you wait, you will harvest bigger bucks period! That's the base problem and it's ingrained in peopleand they can't change.I proudly announce my opinion and I really don't care who it bothers as it's fact.I won't ever let someone whoshoots little buckshunt on my land. There have been several good posts in response to this thread, yours being one of them Derek; however, 85% of the posts have been frompeoplewho will just never get itno matter how the argument is drafted and I only say that after reading through some of what was posted based on their merit (or lack thereof). Good luck to you too Derek, I can see you'rea man of reason even though you disagree with my methodology. Heck, I disagree withit myself from time to time.

[/align]

[/align]To all of the people who asked to see my deer over and over again, well, it does not really matter. I didn't come on here to brag, I came on to talk about factual proven game management which most of you dismissed because you're just misinformed. If you must know, I've taken 9 pope and young deer. I have not taken a buck in three years, I've taken 6 does in the last three years. If youinsist on seeing some of my deer, I have a camospace page, Englishbowhunter is my account name, go on there and friend request me and I'll answer you on Monday after I get back from my hunting trip and you'll be able to see some of my deer.

[/align]

[/align]Any of us hunters who own land or haveleases don't want guysthat shoot little bucks next to us. That'sjust a fact so deal with it I guess?

[/align]

[/align]Oh, I must say that I laughed at the guy who took a picture of his own ass and then put a hat andlips on it, it was creative at least butyou might want to think about laying off the cheese burgers for a while.

[/align]

[/align]If just one of you decide to raise up your goals this year and take the challenge then this post was worth while. Let the little1.5 year old bucksthathave nosurvival sensego and let them grow!

[/align][/align]

What an ass.
Tony ,you'll never make the top 5 % with that attitude.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Original : Dopler
Thiswill be my last post/visitto this thread as I'm going to have the last word here.
You were/are wrong. I highly doubt you will be get the last word and you already have made another post. That said, I agree with QDMA, for the most part, I pass what I consider to be younger bucks. BUT I highly encourage anyone to shoot what makes them happy. Like Donny Baker says "It's a free country Randy!"

As for your 20 pager, I hope Ikicked you over the top.

Old 10-29-2008, 11:15 AM
Dominant Buck

By passing on samll bucks, you're helping the herd grow by ensuring that the best genetics advance as nature intended.
So tell me one thing.....

What does age have to do with genetics? What happens to a buck's genes between his first and fourth birthdays?

Before typing such nonsense, please at least take the time to google the concept of QDM and read thewritings of wildlife biologistsfor yourself onhow it improves the deer heard and also reduces crop damage.
I'll promise to.....just as soon as you answer the above question.

Old 10-29-2008, 11:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

By passing on samll bucks, you're helping the herd grow by ensuring that the best genetics advance as nature intended.
So tell me one thing.....

What does age have to do with genetics? What happens to a buck's genes between his first and fourth birthdays?
Nothing changes with his genes. He just gets to spread them genes that much longer being he's an older buck and around to do some breeding. I'm assuming this buck has good good potential.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Wow that must be one big bow or one small deer. Great shot does not get any better then that. If you say he is 2.5 i say he must be. Why would you lie.
If thats a 3.5 i hate to see a 1.5 in your area.
There huge around here must be all the corn and soybeans.
ORIGINAL: dstubb

Dop, have you ever heard of bad genes? I have seen many mature bucks in my life that would score below 50. Oh and here is my trophy 3.5 year old from last week.

Old 10-29-2008, 11:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree i would take a 250 pound doe over a 150 pound 12 point any day. You can not eat antlers. I want meat. COngrats
Ohh can i have some back straps
ORIGINAL: dstubb

I guess my my estimate was off. Jeeeesshhh! That seemed to be the popular guess amongst everyone here last week. I am obviously no expert in aging a deer because i could really give a rats___. I hunt for meat, but if i am ever faced with multiple deer containing a big racked buck i will take him. I love how everyone here is so quick to jump on somebody for the slightest little mistake or use of the wrong wording. It's as if you are all trying to prove that you are the superior deer masters. I come here to learn from my fellow hunters, not to nit pick.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks for protecting our right to hunt. But i hope you did not hunt with the M4 with more then 10 rounds in it. I bet that 50 cal on the Humvee would butcher him for ya. Glad your home safe and sound.
ORIGINAL: Wiggy

Since we're posting pics of our past hunting season, here's a pic of my 2006-2007 season. Do you have any idea how happy I would have been to get a spike deer? Hunting is a very personal thing and means different things to different people. If you're not happy with a spike, by all means, pass it up. But if someone else gets one, be happy for them. They were successful. I'm not a "youngster", and I've taken a few larger bucks, but if I get a spike, it's a big deal to me. It's a sad day when you can't be happy for someone getting a deer, no matter how small.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree a spike might be the best kill in a high buck to doe ratio
ORIGINAL: BuckRogers

Why dont I shoot does?
1. They are what produce the bucks.
2. I have more bucks on the farm that I hunt than does.
3. Several of them have tiny racks for their age.
4. I am proud of the deer I shoot (even the small ones)and think each one is a trophy.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:35 AM

My dad and some uncles work construction all over the mid-west, so when they can take a week off for deer hunting, on land that they own, they pay taxesfor, they've got the right to shoot any deer they want.

Quick Reply: No More Small Bucks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.