Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 No More Small Bucks! >

No More Small Bucks!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

No More Small Bucks!

Old 10-28-2008, 08:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: No More Small Bucks!

Great pic Mike!!
Old 10-28-2008, 09:03 PM

Does this mean ishould have let my 125" last year in the u.p. of michigan walk.Damn I wasted a lot of money mounting that deer
Old 10-28-2008, 09:04 PM

I agree but i dont get why you care what other people kill.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: WV Hunter

ORIGINAL: fingerz42

Why is this guy getting chastised because he believes you should let young bucks walk? Wouldnt it be nice if every hunter would let the spikes and basket rack 4 points walk? I mean if you're just hunting meat, kill a doe. Why continually shoot young immature bucks just for the sake of saying "i got mine"

This is exactly the problem in my area, everyone just wants to kill one so they can say well I killed one. Why doesnt anyone ever want to demonstrate some Quality deer management...?
Question for you fingerz...(and Dopler)....how many bucks do you pass up each year? Seriously, be honest? Do you practice what you preach?

I actually agree with the thought process here...but making an absolute ass out of yourself to do it is ridiculous. You can't judge others, by whatYOU want or feel. The other thing is this...making a blanket statement like that is not even coming close to giving an apples to apples comparison. Where you are (if you actually are) certainly doesn't compare to where others might be.

10 yrs ago, I stopped shooting small/young bucks. I had just gotten sick of it....it didn't do anything for me anymore. So I shoot does, and hold out for one that makes me happy. During the last 10 yrs, I've probably shot 7 or 8 bucks, and 60+ does. ALL the bucks were 8pt or up, and decent specimens for my area. All were shot with a gun or m/l, haven't gotten a decent one close enough with the bow. I can't even tell you how many I've passed up...truly it has been hundreds of bucks. I've passed as many as 12 in one day before. Sothat said, IAMdoing what you say....yet where are all the 130s? You see....its all relative. I'm in an area that just doesn't produce many deer like that, regardless of how many I let walk. I would invite ANYONE to come hunt the land I hunt and kill 130's. Good luck, you can't kill what ain't there.

My personal feelings are this....shoot what makes you happy, period. Yes, do I preach to folks to let the small ones walk and shoot a doe, absolutely. I've converted lots of hunters over to that thought process over the years. BUT, do I really care what they do...nope. Will I put them down because they shot a forkhorn and are excited about it? NO WAY...I was there once, and I'd venture to say even you elitists were as well. I know you were.

I feel like the true deer hunter goes through a maturing process, and begins to put self imposed standards on themselves as time goes by. I know that is what happened to me. Most, but not all will go through similar phases in their hunting career, I believe. Hopefully anyhow. The one thing I can say for sure, passing up deer gives a great sense of accomplishment, regardless of the size. I also learned more in the first couple years of letting em walk than I knew in probably the prior 15 yrs of not letting em walk. What an experience.

To each his own, I hope everyone has a great season.

Oh, and check out the buck below that my son got last year.... aged by a DNR biologist at 2.5...He woulda had a heck of a growth spurt this year, I guess he should have let him walk.

So far this year I have seen one legal buck and i let him go. I have seen many other 4 points and spikes which even if legal I would let go. Thats MY philosophy though. And for your son that is a great kill and I would never hold that against him. My "arguement" would be for the 40 year old guys who have hunted 20 seasons, and year in and year out they continue to shoot young spikes or 4 points. I just dont agree with that. Thats just my opinion.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: fingerz42

So far this year I have seen one legal buck and i let him go. I have seen many other 4 points and spikes which even if legal I would let go. Thats MY philosophy though. And for your son that is a great kill and I would never hold that against him. My "arguement" would be for the 40 year old guys who have hunted 20 seasons, and year in and year out they continue to shoot young spikes or 4 points. I just dont agree with that. Thats just my opinion.
I agree with you completely on that, but again....to each his own. I do my part to educate them on my thoughts about that and if they change, great. If not...oh well. I'd like to think that more would eventually change, than not...but who knows.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:43 PM

YOU ARE TAME DOPLER......... GROW UP
Old 10-28-2008, 10:28 PM
Typical Buck

Dop, have you ever heard of bad genes? I have seen many mature bucks in my life that would score below 50. Oh and here is my trophy 3.5 year old from last week.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: dstubb

Dop, have you ever heard of bad genes? I have seen many mature bucks in my life that would score below 50. Oh and here is my trophy 3.5 year old from last week.

That's a 3.5 year old??
Old 10-28-2008, 10:43 PM
Typical Buck

I was thinking the same thing Steve!!!

First of all, great shot. Second on all, I'd give my left nut to you if that deer is 3.5 years old.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

That's a 3.5 year old??
Hey Steve....that's what my son's deer woulda looked like this year -maybe....[8D]

Quick Reply: No More Small Bucks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.