HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Is Bowhunting worth my job?? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/270401-bowhunting-worth-my-job.html)

cjohnson664 10-28-2008 08:13 AM

Is Bowhunting worth my job??

Last Friday when I got done with all my work I went home to get ready for trip. Now Let me start out by saying I work out and about I have been a cable guy for 5 years. And I get done with my work early all the time. If there is nothing to do I go home( just like everyone else). I work till 8pm and I was done at like 4pm that day helped out another guy get his work done and headed home at 6pm.Now I was not intending to get paid for the 2 hours I went home I was going to use my personal time. I go into the main office one time a week and it is on Fridays. So go into there on the next Friday (one week after I left early). and get called into the HR office and they suspend me for leaving early without permission. Got a phone call yesterday at around 1300 and and the HR lady says they are firing me for breaking the rules in our
book of conduct. Now let me tell you guys this about myself, I have never been in any trouble at work no written wornings ever. I am a great field tech
with great numbers. How can they fire me for my first every screw up?
Any way just wondering if you guys think it was worth it or not becouse that was the weekend I shot my biggest deer yet with my bow. My 8 point for those that missed my post on that here is a pic.Kind off takes away the joy!

HoytSpeed 10-28-2008 08:22 AM

RE: Is Bowhunting worth my job??

Did you go in a politely plead your case, telling them it will never happen again without their permission. if you truly need that job to stay afloat, then it probably wasn't worth it. First screw up in 5 years, in my opinion, deserves another chance.

HoytSpeed 10-28-2008 08:22 AM

congrats on the buck, and nice shot!

Jim_IV 10-28-2008 08:23 AM

IMO hunting is not worth losing your job and putting your family's welfare at stake. Should they have fired you for your first screw up, probably not. But companies everywhere are looking to downsize and all they need is one reason to let you go. There doing it at my job as well.

mossberghunter93 10-28-2008 08:26 AM

man that sucks hope u can get another good job GL

cjohnson664 10-28-2008 08:29 AM

I did sell myself to them but it did not matter. I live in Michigan and there are no jobs here at all. It has only been
one day and it is sinking in how screwed I am right now.

TexasBowHunter 10-28-2008 08:30 AM

Is bowhunting worth my job????? My opinion------NO!!!! Not for me!!!! For me, where I live and hunt it is an expensive sport and if I had no job I wouldn't be able to hunt!!!! From what you have said they should have talked with you a bit before firing you....that's a bum deal brother!!!! With all your good number's you might be able to get a better job....Best of luck to you withit brother!!!!

That's a nice buck brother, congratulations!!!

The Outdoorsman 10-28-2008 08:39 AM

First I would like to say sorry to hear about your job. Second, nice buck. Now to the main point, doesnt seem right that you have never been written up or anything and then fired, but companies have it written in their handbook, rules & regulations, etc that they can terminate you at any time for any reason, or some form of that. Have to be careful and read everything and keep a copy. Sounds to me that you were fired wrongfully, but at the same time, why not just seek out your supervisor and get his/her permission to leave on those days and use personal time? That clears you right from the start. Assuming its ok will usually come back to bite you in the end. Sorry, not trying to talk down to you or anything. Hopefully you can talk to them and get your job back. And like it was said earlier, losing your job because of bowhunting is not worth it.

rybohunter 10-28-2008 08:59 AM

It doesn’t sound like you carelessly blew off work and risked being fired. I think the penalty is a bit severe and usually the process is much more difficult to get someone fired.
Good luck finding another job.

HuntingBry 10-28-2008 09:01 AM

You may be able to get your job back (if you want it), but it would require a letter from a lawyer and some research on your part. You said you leave early when your work is done "just like everyone else." If that is the case and others do leave early, but they fired you that is the first piece of your case. The second piece would be if your company has a policy on termination. Even in at will work states company policies that say that written warnings preceed terminiation are admissable. The lawyer could put this all together and possibly get you your job back, or at least get severance or guaranteed unemployment. The downside is that if you do get your job back you need to look for a new one because they will likely watch you like a hawk and get you for the first tiny offense you make.

You're in a tough spot. Good luck.

Congrats on the buck, he's a nice one.

Hunting is not worth losing a job to me, but hunting does influence the jobs I take as far as how much time off I can take and proximity to hunting spots.