Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

20MPH winds

Old 10-28-2008, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 20MPH winds

I don't head out much in high winds either. If I do venture out, I will go where there is less wind...I think the deerdislike high winds as much us. I have taken 1 buck on a high wind day, but it was years ago during the rut and he was chasing (and I was gung ho to get one - out there regardless of the conditions). Personally, I don't need to hunt that bad to risk it nowadays - I can set my schedule to hunt whenever I want so I'd rather hunt better days. 10-15-20mph...no problems, 20-30-40+...I'll wait it out and go another day.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think they still move but are more leary. The biggest drawback for me is I hunt tight stuff and don't glass. As often as not I hear the deer before I see it. When the winds howling I lose that.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think it depends on where i'm hunting & direction. Regardless of how much wind we have there are spots along the river bottom that'll still be fairly calm. So on windy days i'll usually go down to the river and hunt a stand near some conifers or heavy timber, and hunt like normal. Sunday was a good example... it was windy, 50-60mph gusts, 30-40 straight winds. But down on the bottoms there was hardly anything.

But I've seen plenty of good deer movement in heavy wind as well... where the wind is blowing the fur around on the deer, and dust clouds & tumbleweeds are traveling along. The hunting can still be good... it's just harder hunting
Old 10-28-2008, 07:26 AM
Dominant Buck

I just get REALLY tired hunting every morning and every evening (I know....I know)...so I pick and choose right now. If it was next week....I'd be out there right now. it's not.

I may go on the ridge beside the house her ein the morning....and may take the longbow. If I can get movement....i can get on the downwind side of their trail. I just had a big ol doe cross the driveway at 9:14 (motion sensor). For the record.....I live on 3 acres that abuts my neighbors on each side (25 acres, each) and my neighbor to the S is on 17 acres. I hunt all of this land.....and the ridge I'm talking about is about 150yds from my back door. Closest place I normally hunt to this is 1/2 mi....and I haven't hunted this ridge in 2 years.

But for a quick "get to"....and minimal effort....I can be huntin'. I've got some magical time ahead of me....if the guy I'm sharing the new land with doesn't blow it for me. he was hunting the WORST wind he could hunt that spot in yesterday (NW). He's killin' me.[:@]
Old 10-28-2008, 07:57 AM
Fork Horn

Today[/align]Rain showers likely. Snow showers likely this morning... then snow showers this afternoon. Snow accumulation around an inch. Breezy. Near steady temperature in the mid 30s. West winds 20 to 25 mph. Chance of precipitation 80 percent. [/align][/align]Mother nature hates me!!!!!!!![/align]
Old 10-28-2008, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunted yesterday afternoon in gusty winds with sporatic rain. Saw 12 deer. Over the past 26 years Ive seen where deer dont move at all when its windy, and then Ive seen deer feeding in an openfield with 60 mph gusts. I still am not sure what Im going to see when its real windy after all these years. This windy condition is about the only time I will make an attempt to do some scouting and stalking especially if the leaves are wet or damp. Gives me an opportunity to look for scrapes and rubs.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:14 AM

Out here, if you don't hunt when the wind is blowing over 15-20, then you don't hunt near as much. I have had some awesome hunts when the wind was absolultely screaming, but you have to change your tactics.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

im with Rybo...seems to slow movement...and the ones that move are REAL skittish....

i had deer yesterday bolting and high tailing for absolutely NO reason. wind was right...werent moving...i still have no idea what had them doing what they were doing. just super alert and skittish...

im debating whether or not i'll head out for an evening sit today..its pretty nasty out there...ontop of the wind im getting rain...and, i found out i have a test bright and early.....so thats helping my decision to play it safe...rest up, study, and hit it ALL day thursday. i have an area between 2 bedding areas....i dont wanna go in today and blow it...i cant hear them in the wind and last time i was there in LESS of a wind, and think i got busted bu the only deer i seen...i dont wanna risk it...thursday is gunna the a great day to be in the stand i think...front moves out wed night...weather breaks...thursday is clear and high in the high 40s...i think i'll likely save myself for thursday. catch up on school work and rest and pack my lunch...ive never sat ALL day, but i dont have much of a choice there...if i leave, i wont go back...too dang far to carry a stand more than 1 time a day lol...(a solid mile...cant leave the stand there...its about 12 miles to food...so i might as well try to stay all day so i can hunt morning and evening...even if i gotta climb down and take a short walk to stretch and get the blood flowing)
Old 10-28-2008, 08:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

I look at it like this. Hunting season comes around once a year and they allow us so many days to be in the woods. I'm not missing any of those days for any conditions. I get pretty wooped hunting every morning and afternoon (all day sits during the rut) from opening day until the last day. I'll be tired when the season is over. Is hunting/deer movement not as good on windy days? Full moons? rainy days? Absolutely! Doesn't mean they don't exist out there. The same deer are in the same woods on windy days as calm days. Knowing there is at least a 1% chance of scoring on what I'm after makes me go to a tree everyday no matter what conditions. Or maybe it helps that I've taken some decent bucks on windy days. Not nearly as many as picture perfect conditions, but nonetheless..... there's always a chance and that's good enough for me.

30mph NW wind taken at the bottom of a ravine 2 years ago.

30mph NW winds tripod stand in middle of swail lot (middle of bedroom)

Not the biggest bucks in the world, but not bad for my area on "windy days"[8D]

Oh yeah brown trout taken during the off season on a calm day.....

Old 10-28-2008, 08:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Up until last Sunday I didn't think anything moved In 30+ mph winds. Boy was I wrong there!! My buddy shot a forky Sunday evening with windy condition's. He saw 3 other bucks as well. My brothers trail camera really tells the story. Sunday evening he had at least 6 different bucks hit a scrape that he has the camera on. 2, maybe 3 of them are P&Y bucks. He didn't hunt either like me Sunday evening because of the 30 and 40 mph winds. If he would of he would of possibly had a crack at this buck. He walks with In 15 yards of his stand. You can't see his stand but Its In the upper right corner of this picture. The date on the picture Is also wrong. It should say the 26th, when he changed batteries he forgot to reset the date.

Quick Reply: 20MPH winds

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.