HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   KS RUT....what have you seen? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/270316-ks-rut-what-have-you-seen.html)

KansasBBD 10-27-2008 06:25 PM

KS RUT....what have you seen?

Well last sat. i was sitting in my ground blind that is placed in the middle of a clover field with a milo to the north west. The first buck was a solo yearling that ate a little then left. Next buck that came in was a nice 8 with a sticker off his g2. tall and narrow, bout 125". As i watched him, the light began to fade. Looked to the milo and saw a doe bust through it with a wide and short 130" buck on her trail and his nose to the ground. I think the chasing is just now beginning to kick in. Cant WAIT for this weekend, we get a few days off from college baseball practice. So what have you guys seen on stand? Any signs of the rut kicking in?

ksfowler 10-27-2008 07:03 PM

RE: KS RUT....what have you seen?

They are pounding the scrapes in my area. lots of rubs as well. also saw some buck running with there tail straight out with does infront of them. it is close i would say a week or two before they start to lose there minds.

Kelly/KY 10-27-2008 07:21 PM

You guys have had some real rutty weather lately. I'm actually scheduled to be in a stand in KS on Sunday morning, sounds like it may be at the right time.

KansasBBD 10-27-2008 07:33 PM

ORIGINAL: Kelly/KY

You guys have had some real rutty weather lately. I'm actually scheduled to be in a stand in KS on Sunday morning, sounds like it may be at the right time.
Hey kelly where are you going to be hunting at in kansas?

Kelly/KY 10-27-2008 07:37 PM

Southwest...ashland. This is my fifth straight year and it's the best week of the year for me. Great friends, some awesome hunting....I can't sleep already.

MOTOWNHONKEY 10-27-2008 07:50 PM

Mama does are starting to kick out the young ones. Rubs everywhere. Seen a big doe on the run last night but didin't spot anything chaseing her. Hard freeze tonight then will get back into the 70's[:@]later in the week. Typical kansas weather though. It's time for long sits for sure.

KansasBBD 10-27-2008 08:09 PM

ORIGINAL: MOTOWNHONKEY

Mama does are starting to kick out the young ones. Rubs everywhere. Seen a big doe on the run last night but didin't spot anything chaseing her. Hard freeze tonight then will get back into the 70's[:@] later in the week. Typical kansas weather though. It's time for long sits for sure.
man thats what i was wondering. Would this weekend be a long sit weekend or a morning-break-night sit? im so pumped that the baseball season ended right before the rut kicked in! free weekends until feb!

Howler 10-27-2008 08:37 PM

I just got back from KS. and agree that there's a lot of scrapeing going on, but we only saw one little 110" buck "chasing/harrassing" a couple of doe around last evening. I rattled in two seperate bucks, neither had much size. All the activity that I saw was early morning and late evening. I think it's a few days away before any "all day" sits are warranted.

kcheimer 10-27-2008 09:25 PM

I sat two of my stands Saturday night and Sunday morning. I think the cold front and wind had them locked up pretty tight in my NE KS. Saw the south bound end of a pretty big north bound deer moving out of a day bed Saturday evening, but I didn't see squat Sunday. The field on the first stand has some scrapes and a few rubs, specifically one where he enters/leaves the cornfield and crosses a creek. One of the ones I hit on the way to the truck Saturday was freshened when I came back Sunday to scout. Second stand I've seen six or eight does but when I walked the field edges Sunday morning there was nary a rub or a scrape. As there are still so many crops in I wasn't able to check my other usual spots.