HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Question about the Rage 2 blades (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/270251-question-about-rage-2-blades.html)

LoneTree34 10-27-2008 01:52 PM

Question about the Rage 2 blades

Anybody else having any issues with the rage 2 blades. I shot a doe earlier this year at 25 yards right behind the crease as she was qtr away. I saw my arrow hit, she jumped, barrel rolled and ran into a draw. After I waited I confirmed a huge amount of blood where I shot her. Unable to find my arrow, So I'm guessing it didn't pass thru. Didn't find my arrow where she barrel rolled either. No blood trail. Checked where I last saw her run too and no deer. Spent the next day searching for her and no luck. Over the weekend I shot another doe at 30yds. She jumped a little and started walking like nothing hit her. She finally walked about 80 yards and stood still and slowly bedded down, to where I could see her expire, or at least I thought she expired. About an hour later a nice buck came down and I shot him broadside at 10 yards. I shot a little further back behind the shoulder so I wasn't flirting with the shoulder bone. This buck acted the same way. Walked like I didn't hit him and started snorting like crazy. It became dark real quick so I had an estimate of where I saw him last. Later that night my arrow on the doe was covered but no blood trail was present. I knew where she bedded down or where she was because I watched her from my tree stand. But concerned why there was no blood trail. When we go to the tree she was gone. The blood I had was when she bedded down. We eventually found her in a draw about 100 yards. The entry and exit wound were in line and in the perfect place. I couldn't have made a better shot. The buck on the other hand I'm not able to recover. No arrow to tell what kind of a hit and no blood trail. Searched the whole property and no luck. Its depressing and making for a difficult season. I read some other topics where some other folks can kind of compare. The blood trail seems to be because the blood sinks into the chest cavity, and the arrow not passing thru is because it doesn't penetrate as hard on a bone. IE rib. I shoot and draw a pretty good bow so I know speed isn't a real issue. I had no issues last year with the Grim Reapers but decided to change to Rage's because of all the success stories. I don't disagree with the size of the entry and exit wounds, I've seen it first hand on one of my does, but to have no blood trails and no arrows on two other deer gets me a little concerned. Haven't lost a deer in 6 years and then have two in a month is a little hard to deal with. Anybody else having similar issues with the 2 blade ??

kickin_buck 10-27-2008 02:21 PM

RE: Question about the Rage 2 blades

Man that is tough. I really don't know what to say. This is the first year I have shot a Rage and just love them. I shot a doe that was quartering away at 13 yards, passed thru and went into the offset leg, broke the leg and was laying on the grounds, she went about 40 yards. I shot a buck at 32 yards, blew thru both shoulder blades with no problem, he went about 50 yards. I guess all I can say is I am glad I am not having the problems with them that you are, but I have heard other people complaining about penetration also.

Jasonlester 10-27-2008 02:40 PM

Ok I guess my first question would be what is your setup. Rage BHs are mechanical so they rob some of the energy of the arrow opening up. Pass throughs depend on alot more than speed. You can shoot a realy light arrow realy fast and not have the penetration that a heavy arrow traveling much slowwer had. If you don't believe me get an old heavy 2117 or the likes and shoot it into something hard. The diameter of the arrow trys to slow it with friction into newer targets but it definatly hits harder.

If I were to guess your shooting a marginal weight / arrow weight for the rage BH's Speed of the bow realy doensn't matter its only realy matters for flat shooting arrows. Kenetic Energy is key. Super light arrows and lighter weight bows are a bad combo, even heavier weight bows suffer from loss that the mechanical robs. Cut on contact fixed blade BHs don't lose near as much energy as they don't have to open.

Rage BH use less energy than others but the fact is they still use energy.

Let us know what the setup is maybe someone can figure yout KE and see if it is the case.

LoneTree34 10-27-2008 03:10 PM

Bow: Hoyt Katera
Pound:66-67
Draw: 28

Arrow: Carbon Express Hunter fletched w/balzer vanes. I think there 350's would have to check when I get home.
BH: 100 grain Rage 2 blade

Arrow flies true hits where I'm aiming, just seem to be one of the unluckly one's I guess. I am thinking about adding an aluma nock so I can at least have something to track by and or at least find my arrow after a shot.

Jim_IV 10-27-2008 03:25 PM

The only problem I have ever had is I have stripped the screw that holds the blades in when trying to change them out. Never had any penetration issues or problems with the broad head opening. Killed four deer with them over the last two years with no problems

Jasonlester 10-27-2008 09:27 PM

bow weught isn' a problem...not sure what you arrow weighs. maybe a heavier arrow would help,,, sucks to loose one...I stick with cut on contact bhs for that reason. Of course my arrows are heavy and only doing about 160 fps maybe.

dstubb 10-27-2008 09:57 PM

I just shot my third deer with the Rage 2B's last week. The first two created an exit wound with a ton of blood, this third one was a big ole fat buck and i was unable to get a pass through on him. Luckily there he didn't go far and there was a still a ton of blood from the entrance wound. 3 weeks ago my father in law shot a buck using the Rage 2B's for the first time. He didn't get a pass through either, he also had no blood trail to follow. The next morning he came back to look for the buck and found him about 100 yards away from where he shot him. He is not a fan and will continue to use his Muzzy's from now on. I personally still like the Rages because i have not seen a deer run further than 100 yards after being stuck with one. My bow is set at 63lbs, 28' draw, RedHead Carbon Fury 6075 arrows, 100g Rage 2B. I can't explain it but it does have me concerned, if it happens again i may have to make a switch back to the Grim Reapers.

GMMAT 10-28-2008 04:15 AM

If your bow is in tune (and probably even if it isn't)....a "rib" on a deer will be punched through like butter. I'm pushing just over 70FP/KE with my bow....but with the setup I'm using....if my arrows weren't flying true...that would be severely diminished. I've also killed 9-10 deer in the past season+with the rage head....and it's rare to NOT get an exit wound.

Without seeing your setup.....simply knowing your draw weight and DL doesn't tell me if you should be using these heads or not. It tells me your bow is capable of shooting them. Your setup either may not warrant it (arrow weight).....or it may not support it, though (out of tune).

If I was having these type issues.....I'd go over my head and have a professional look at my setup.

Good luck.