Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Having family in camp for the first time. >

Having family in camp for the first time.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Having family in camp for the first time.

Old 10-27-2008, 06:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Having family in camp for the first time.

My wife and daughter joined me at the deercamp for the first time this past weekend and we had a great time. We also had my 11 yo niece along for the trip. The $200 rolling deer camp was a bit crowded but still comfortable.
I had to make some concessions over the weekend, like not leaving until about 10:00AM to head out, so no morning hunt on Saturday. The sacrifice was well worth it. I also had to limit the amount of gear I took. I left the Marquis at home and hunted with the Kanga longbow. We needed room in the car for a 13" TV and VCR,[:@]. I told my wife we were camping and a TV was not something we should bring. I lost. I also had to fit the battery powered Barbie jeep on the trailer with my 4-wheeler. Lily drove that thing all over the camp.
Everyone really enjoyed themselves and are looking forward to our next trip. They will join me again in 2 weeks. I'll be on my own next weekend.
Lily was facinated with the butchering of a doe that was killed by a 12 year old boy. ( it was youth gun weekend). And my wife decided she wants to start hunting. I won't let her bowhunt this year though, she hasn't been practicing enough. she will get her license and borrow a rifle from her mom. She may or may not shoot a deer but will certainly kill a feral hog given the opportunity.
What a wonderful family experience. I'm really glad they joined me and hope that over the years we can share camp on a regular basis.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Having family in camp for the first time.

tx.
I have been taking my family for years and yes there has to some sacrifices but for me they are well worth it....Last year my daughter got herr first (spike) buck last year and like i've said before I am more proud of that than I am of my biggest deer... My wife will be hunting for the first time this year (with a rifle) and she too will be looking for a slick head or a hog as well....My wife and daughter have both been behind the rifle practicing quite a bit this year, to get ready for the season and they both have done well, so come Thanksgiving we will see how it all plays out.....Great story (thanks for sharing)and glad you guys had a good time, getting the family involved is a great part of the outdoors.....Kudo's to you!!!!!!
Old 10-27-2008, 07:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Oh the joys of family camping

Mate those will be some memories you will never forget and if you do Carie will remind you

Glad you had a great time with the family
Old 10-27-2008, 08:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

I know exactly what your talking about when you said hunting with the family. Back when my parents were still married (now divorced) we spent many years together bear hunting up In northern Minnesota. It was the best feeling In the world and boy do I miss It!! My mom, brother, dad, all of us have had some good times together. My mom has been very successful bow hunting. She's shot 5 bear and at least 7 or 8 whitetails. They were good times, cherish them my friend as some day they may not be there.