HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   How do you know that... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/270122-how-do-you-know.html)

Hoytail Hunter 10-26-2008 07:36 PM

How do you know that...

you are in a mature buck's core area?

Well, I guess nobody really knows for sure unless he's somehow glassing the buck day in and day out, but how do YOU know when to back off? I bumped a buck the other day trying to get as close to what I thought was a buck's corearea. Is it just an intuitive instinct refined by years of hunting or are there physical things you look out for indicating that you are getting too close to a wallhanger?

dukemichaels 10-26-2008 07:53 PM

RE: How do you know that...

Common sense really will ultimately let you know.

Look for the presence of sign.. ie rubs etc.

But the number 1 thing I use is my sense of smell. Older whitetail leave BIG beds.. and when you smell them and you're in their bedroom.. they stink. A musk thats easy to recognize.. and seemingly only carried by the older bucks with established (if you could call it this) bedrooms.

I don't know if you do any shed hunting.. but if you do.. the next one you pick up thats fresh from that spring.. smell it.

Their beds smell like those sheds.. only muskier. Once its in your nose.. it's there forever.

Hoytail Hunter 10-26-2008 08:06 PM

I did not see any rubs plus this was a marshy area with small pockets of thickets. The bucks around here just started scraping too so I didn't see any that day. Making my way through the tall noisy blades of grass I kicked him up when I got within 40yds. Before this happened, I did start to feel like I was gonnabump somethingand should've stopped pressing forward, but there was a tree just 30yds deeper in thatI had my eyes on.

dukemichaels 10-26-2008 08:10 PM

ORIGINAL: Hoytail Hunter

I did not see any rubs plus this was a marshy area with small pockets of thickets. The bucks around here just started scraping too so I didn't see any that day. Making my way through the tall noisy blades of grass I kicked him up when I got within 40yds. Before this happened, I did start to feel like I was gonnabump somethingand should've stopped pressing forward, but there was a tree just 30yds deeper in thatI had my eyes on.
Marsh is my speciality. Look for bed or beds.. and smell them. Then you'll know.

Take heed of the wind direction and what it was when you busted him. WRITE IT DOWN somewhere. He will likely be back with the same.. now think of a plan in which to get him. Sometimes it takes a year.. but always remember that direction for that bed.

He felt safety with that wind.

gri22ly 10-26-2008 08:10 PM

ORIGINAL: dukemichaels

Common sense really will ultimately let you know.

Look for the presence of sign.. ie rubs etc.

But the number 1 thing I use is my sense of smell. Older whitetail leave BIG beds.. and when you smell them and you're in their bedroom.. they stink. A musk thats easy to recognize.. and seemingly only carried by the older bucks with established (if you could call it this) bedrooms.

I don't know if you do any shed hunting.. but if you do.. the next one you pick up thats fresh from that spring.. smell it.

Their beds smell like those sheds.. only muskier. Once its in your nose.. it's there forever.
Thats right, you can smell it from 20ft away. This is a big bucks bed, I've not seen him in daylightyet.[:@]I hope he makes a mistake soon.;)

Buck_Slayer 10-26-2008 08:50 PM

I smelled that smell just yesterday when my nephew and I were walking along a field edge along kind of a ditch with tall grass....we walked over there and sat down because we saw a bunch of deer in the field, and boy was it strong. He must be bedding down in the ditch...

Hoytail Hunter 10-26-2008 09:12 PM

ORIGINAL: gri22ly

Thats right, you can smell it from 20ft away. This is a big bucks bed, I've not seen him in daylightyet.[:@]I hope he makes a mistake soon.;)

That must be a night time bed or you bumped him out of that daytime bed.

See, I don't want to have to come to an empty bedbefore Irealize that I'm in a buck's core area. I want to be able to know when I'm close so as not to bump him out of his bed. This way I can setup close by and wait for him to move at last light.