Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Ever drop your bow from the stand? >

Ever drop your bow from the stand?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ever drop your bow from the stand?

Old 10-26-2008, 07:22 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Ever drop your bow from the stand?

Funny you bring this question up as I was just yesterday telling this story to a 20 something friend of mine who has justed started bowhunting. He missed a deer over the weekend (shot high out of a tree-imagine that) but told me he was still hooked on bowhunting and that he couldn't see himself ever gun hunting again.

I told him that my fondest and most vivid memories of bowhunting are misses and mishaps more so than a lot of my kills.

One of those was a few years ago on a very cold morning during the rut. Here comes a doe on a fast run through the brush and I know there will be some type of buck sure to follow within seconds.
Because of the extreme cold, I had thicker than normal gloves on and because of that and the fact that I was really cold, I couldn't get my hand through the bow sling. Knowing time was of essence, I quit trying and just grabbed the bow and attached my release to the string.

Sure enough a shooter buck is quickly following and is about to come into a shooting lane about 22 yards out. As I draw the bow backabout halfway sans the bow sling, I accidently hit the release trigger because my hands were so cold. The bow springs out of my hand and falls from about 16 feet up, hitting every branch and making all kinds of noise all theway down.

The rutting buck looked at the bow as it was coming down, stopped for about 2 seconds and then went right back to chasing the doe as though nothing ever happened. Suprisingly, the bow was not damaged nor was my sight even altered.
Old 10-26-2008, 07:22 PM
Fork Horn

no but I was thinking about that the other night when I was setting 25ft up in my tree, but no it hasn't happened yet
Old 10-26-2008, 07:26 PM
Typical Buck

I dropped a Hoyt a couple years ago, first day in the woods with it, from 20 ft up. it scuffed the riser, and that was it. that powertec was a tank.
Old 10-26-2008, 07:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

My rope broke once too. Bow fell 6-8 feet - luckily didn't have any damage either...
Old 10-26-2008, 07:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I didn't drop my bow but this evening, i was stepping off my climbing stick on to the ground and stepped right on my sights, messed up 2 pins so now i get to buy new sights, let me tell ya i feel like a freakin idiot right now.
Old 10-26-2008, 07:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'm guilty as well. It's been a lot of years ago and I'm thinking early 90's with the Jennings Carbon Extreme XLR and when I grabbed for it all I came up with was a fist full of broadhead. (Muzzy).

I was afraid of opening my hand and warranted cause when I did, I had 3 deep cuts. I wrapped my hand in a bandanna, climbed down and back up and kept hunting. I should have gotten stitches but I didn't. [&:] The bow was better off than I so be careful.
Old 10-26-2008, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Never did, but did step on my bow once in the dark after I lowerd it down. My bow string just came right off the cam. I couldn't believe it.
Old 10-26-2008, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Hoyt, so just throw mine out of the stand every time I climb down. J/K

I've never dropped my bow.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

NO I never did drop my bow from the stand, but I did drop a duce once

Hatchet Jack
Old 10-26-2008, 08:32 PM
Fork Horn

not yet but oh so close the other day...

Quick Reply: Ever drop your bow from the stand?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.